• ...and so much more!
  • Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    My thoughts:

1: Constitutional carry will almost certainly result in loss of reciprocity by other states. That will affect you if you travel to said states for work or to visit family.

2: Constitutional carry will almost certainly kill any prospect of national reciprocity in the US Congress.

3: The change from "reasonably" to "has probable cause" in 411.207 will be a deal-breaker. As it should be. I am not a cop. And I will state that I have never had a bad experience with LEO's. My only interaction to date has been that of a complainant or witness reporting a crime. I do not feel unsafe in the presence of a uniformed law enforcement officer. Quite the contrary. Having said that, in the few instances that I have had to deal with LEO's, I have shown my CHL, informed pursuant to 411.205, and voluntarily offered to disarm. In each case, I believe that set the tone for our interaction. They were all pleasant and very professional. I think the standard of "Probably Cause" sets the bar too high for cops, considering 411.207 already orders a peace officer to return a weapon to its rightful owner before discharging him/her from the scene. I have a hunch the standard of Probable Cause will prevent the cops from de-escalating a lot of situations. I would love to hear some LEO's chime in on this. I could change my mind this depending on what their thoughts are.

4: I vehemently agree with amending 411.207 to explicitly state that the mere possession or carrying of a firearm shall not constitute PC (or RS) to disarm or detain.

5: Finally, this is going to sound harsh, and I expect to be flamed over this one, but here it goes: the cost of obtaining a CHL is minimal. It's a periodic charge that comes up every couple of years, and is less than what a lot of people pay MONTHLY to their cell-phone and internet providers. With the exception of folks that truly fall on hard times, most of the folks whose station in life denies them the expense and time to obtain a CHL in TX lack the life-skills and decision making skills to carry.
    Hurley's Gold

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My thoughts:

1: Constitutional carry will almost certainly result in loss of reciprocity by other states. That will affect you if you travel to said states for work or to visit family.

2: Constitutional carry will almost certainly kill any prospect of national reciprocity in the US Congress.

3: The change from "reasonably" to "has probable cause" in 411.207 will be a deal-breaker. As it should be. I am not a cop. And I will state that I have never had a bad experience with LEO's. My only interaction to date has been that of a complainant or witness reporting a crime. I do not feel unsafe in the presence of a uniformed law enforcement officer. Quite the contrary. Having said that, in the few instances that I have had to deal with LEO's, I have shown my CHL, informed pursuant to 411.205, and voluntarily offered to disarm. In each case, I believe that set the tone for our interaction. They were all pleasant and very professional. I think the standard of "Probably Cause" sets the bar too high for cops, considering 411.207 already orders a peace officer to return a weapon to its rightful owner before discharging him/her from the scene. I have a hunch the standard of Probable Cause will prevent the cops from de-escalating a lot of situations. I would love to hear some LEO's chime in on this. I could change my mind this depending on what their thoughts are.

4: I vehemently agree with amending 411.207 to explicitly state that the mere possession or carrying of a firearm shall not constitute PC (or RS) to disarm or detain.

5: Finally, this is going to sound harsh, and I expect to be flamed over this one, but here it goes: the cost of obtaining a CHL is minimal. It's a periodic charge that comes up every couple of years, and is less than what a lot of people pay MONTHLY to their cell-phone and internet providers. With the exception of folks that truly fall on hard times, most of the folks whose station in life denies them the expense and time to obtain a CHL in TX lack the life-skills and decision making skills to carry.

I disagree with several points, but I'm just gonna hit one which is factually incorrect since I'm on my phone.

Constitutional carry will not effect reciprocity because it does not replace the CHL. It works along side the CHL system.

I will keep my CHL and continue to renew if constitutional carry passes because it carries other benefits, such as skipping the NCIS check, driving past schools or picking up the kids as well as many other places that an unlicensed person would still not be able to carry, and reciprocity in the off chance I decide to travel outside the state.

It would have no effect on national reciprocity because that is based on licensing, not constitutional carry.

Again, I disagree with your other assertions as well. Just too much to track and keep in order from the phone in a single post.

Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    I disagree with several points, but I'm just gonna hit one which is factually incorrect since I'm on my phone.

Constitutional carry will not effect reciprocity because it does not replace the CHL. It works along side the CHL system.

I will keep my CHL and continue to renew if constitutional carry passes because it carries other benefits, such as skipping the NCIS check, driving past schools or picking up the kids as well as many other places that an unlicensed person would still not be able to carry, and reciprocity in the off chance I decide to travel outside the state.

It would have no effect on national reciprocity because that is based on licensing, not constitutional carry.

Again, I disagree with your other assertions as well. Just too much to track and keep in order from the phone in a single post.

If they maintain the ability to obtain a CHL, I concede you are correct on all four points. After further reading, now that I see the bill does not amend any of 411 covering the issuing and administration of CHL's, I stand corrected.

Post being edited.

Odiferous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Evans, Georgia
    Okay...so one needs to be 21 to buy beer. A store will card you, and a LEO can ask to see your ID if you appear to be under 21, at least to him, right?

So let's say we get CC, and the law says one needs to be at least 21.

If you look younger than 21 - to the LEO - wouln't he be allowed to see your ID to prove your age? And maybe temporarily disarm you as well?

Or should I even care, because I look every bit of my 48 years (but feel 46)?

Mike

EZS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2015
    Well I wanted to post asap, but I'm afraid there's not much to introduce since I'm far far away over the pond where gun culture is pretty much nonexistant, I can at least make these kind of heads-ups, as I've noticed in the past gun rallies quite some people on IW comments complained they lived just down the street and didn't know it was going on so they couldn't come at the last minute because they didn't arrange to take time off work; AJ announced it like 2 days before and news rolls fast.

He didn't mention it yet on the show, I hope he does it this week, but it's great jakari went out for this so it's perfect for these embeddings.

EDIT: okay i'll write it tomorrow because it's ~2am here, i have 2 things on my mind that may interest you.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Well I wanted to post asap, but I'm afraid there's not much to introduce since I'm far far away over the pond where gun culture is pretty much nonexistant, I can at least make these kind of heads-ups, as I've noticed in the past gun rallies quite some people on IW comments complained they lived just down the street and didn't know it was going on so they couldn't come at the last minute because they didn't arrange to take time off work; AJ announced it like 2 days before and news rolls fast.

He didn't mention it yet on the show, I hope he does it this week, but it's great jakari went out for this so it's perfect for these embeddings.

That's awesome!
    People all over the globe, watching to see if Texas can be what they always thought it was.
    Thanks for doing something.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!

yall-from-the-city_zps46899e41.jpg

EZS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2015
    I've read the whole law and boy it looks good, I guess it is a big deal compared to the rest of the country.

Pure and simple too.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I've read the whole law and boy it looks good, I guess it is a big deal compared to the rest of the country.

Pure and simple too.

Arizona and Alaska both have Constitutional carry. Texas is one of about 13 states that do not allow open carry, so we are not as "Wild West" as people make us out to be. We do have very good laws concerning use of deadly force and self defense.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No open carry, except for any long gun.....or multiple exceptions for handguns.

Yes, we need improvement. But let's quit using false info to push it.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I was talking pistols, as relates to SB 195. I should have been more clear.

Texas allows open carry of pistols. In fact, Texas generally prohibits handgun carry except for specifically stated exceptions. Of those exceptions, a larger percentage allow open carry than prohibit it.

Texas is not one of any states that do not allow open carry....

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Texas allows open carry of pistols. In fact, Texas generally prohibits handgun carry except for specifically stated exceptions. Of those exceptions, a larger percentage allow open carry than prohibit it.

Texas is not one of any states that do not allow open carry....

Ok, let's be more specific... open carry of modern day pistols in public places... carrying pre 1899 revolvers and or just carrying on ones own property is not really open carry.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    xbasbajajjs
    Top Bottom