May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Have you priced what USGI Carbines are selling for? Doubt I could get one for less than $1,000 private party unless I was taking somebody for a ride.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Have you priced what USGI Carbines are selling for? Doubt I could get one for less than $1,000 private party unless I was taking somebody for a ride.
    No I have not priced them but I know what I recntly sold my Garand for. I have a best friend who is a collector of carbines both M1 & M2. A cop we both know was fishing around for a carbine from him end of last year. Personally I think the money the Fulton cost could better be added to to get a USGI. I grew up when Universal's & Plainfield's were pull money off the GI makes & neither of those are great guns.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Garands are still available in much greater numbers than Carbines, heck you can still buy them from the CMP. The CMP hasn't had carbines for years except for the occasional one they put up for auction.

$1700 is steep no doubt and I'm not all that serious about buying one at that price. They seem to run better than any other commercial offering and being new, are tighter than the mix master USGI ones found.

Still thinking about getting one of the imports but trying to get over the price.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    $999.99 for good to excellent?

Hell Blue Skys were crap and still sell for that and more.........

You might even get lucky and pull a Winchester, Rockola or ?......

So they're import marked.....you already now what the unmarked USGI's are bringing...

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Picked up an IBM with no import mark at the NB gunshow a little over a year ago for $800. They're out there, keep an eye on Gunboards forum, seen them go for under a grand several times.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I seem to remember seeing a barrel full of them when I was a little kid( early 1970s) at a hardware store/bait shop/gun store with my dad for about $35 each

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I passed on one about seven years ago on consignment sale. Price was $650. Owner wouldn't budge on the price, and it had some funky looking "sporterized" stock I would have replaced.

I probably should have bought it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Honestly, if it were me and I had the $, I'd go Fulton IF you want a true shooting piece.
    Original USGI carbines are usually worn out old beaters.
    1.)If you did ever find one in minty shape you couldn't shoot it much, if at all, because you'd wreck its value.
    2.) Your run of the mill USGI is a 75yr old gun that has eleventybillion rounds thru it and the accuracy WILL suck. If you go adding in new stuff like a fresh barrel you wreck what value it does have.
    3.) Original USGI guns are fooking insanely priced anyway.

The1960's era reproductions are meh. They've reached asinine prices themselves for what they are. Some models like the Plainfield are borderline ok but the Universals are junk.
    The currently produced reproductions are stupid priced as well. I'm seeing ~$1000 so you're damn near in original gun range. The one plus side is they're a brand new gun and should shoot ok.
    The Fulton is a brand new made gun and Fulton stuff is well made. Yeah, they're expensive but buy once, cry once. You can happily blast away without worry.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Be patient, hit small town & county gun shows and have a wad of cash with you when you go. One who is yearning for a carbine needs learn how to identify the M-2 parts quickly & easily. A round bolt, the pot belly stock with selector cut, the M-2 trigger housing cut for the 9 spring & the M-2 slide are easy to identify & worth more money. Selling those off & replacing them could bring down the price of your carbine!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I'm the same,I just don't get the Mil-surp thing. I've just never cared for owning a war relic. I've always liked the M1A and Garand's,but have absolutely no use for them.
    I owned a Garand and thought I would get into the mil-surp stuff but it just didn't happen.

Now I think it's late to get into the game as the prices are crazy for what they are.

I've never been much of a collector anyways.

But to each their own.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I've never been much of a collector anyways.

Now a collector I'm not especially because I'll shoot them. There is something about holding a '44 dated M1 that does it for me. Wondering where it's been. Feels like a connection to the past.

Be patient, hit small town & county gun shows

Truthfully I don't have that kind of time. Two small kids at home doesn't leave much for trawling gun shows way out of town.

Top Bottom