APOD Firearms

Heading out to big bend - What would you take?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm heading out to big bend soon with my wife and it will be our first trip down there. I like to think I have a good variety of survival gear to put to use. This trip, we will be staying in a cabin, so it's not quite primitive camping but I would rather be over prepared than under. If you've been down there please share your thoughts... thanks - Texmex
    Hurley's Gold

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    First aid kit
    Gun
    Survival blanket
    Gun
    Water
    Ammo
    canned food goods
    Gun
    Ammo

You're going into an area of high risk IMO - smuggling activity is usually pretty common there. If you see something suspicious, IGNORE IT AND GO THE OTHER WAY. Call John Law once you are WELL clear of the area. If they're between you and where you're staying, GO THE OTHER WAY and return ONLY WHEN ACCOMPANIED BY LEO's.

Mebbe I'm paranoid.....but better paranoid than WISHING you were.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Proof of citizenship. Assuming your screen name is accurate
    Ha Ha Ha, I am actually sporting a pretty good tan on my neck and arms this time of year but I think I'm ok there. I will have my TXDL on hand and hopefully that's good enough. As far as the Enduros, my lady doesn't ride but I might throw her on the back of a scooter and beat around the trails some. How did you clowns know that I drink coors light by the case ??? Good call there. On a serious note, does anyone know the policy on taking a gun into the national park ? We will probably be spending most of our time there.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    You're heading to my country! In the spring I usually take a long weekend backpacking in the Chisos. During July or August, I'll hit up the desert floor for some truck camping along the river road. Those are yearly trips for me, so I'm pretty familiar with the area, but I still carry a map and a GPS. I keep a Glock 19 in a safepacker on my hip 24/7, but I've never run into any problems. Big Bend is a bad spot for anyone trying to cross the border, so there is very little activity from down south. Expect a large DPS/Border Patrol presence. I've seen more and more over the past couple years and you will pass through a Customs checkpoint on your way back home. Have you ID handy...they grilled my Vietnamese Father-in-law for 15 minutes one time over citizenship.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Also, it's worth grabbing a couple maps if you are planning on doing any exploring. I recommend the National Geographic Trails Illustrated map:
    4836a142-bdbc-1b45.jpg

They are usually ~$12 and well worth it. It's weatherproof and shows you trails, topos and distances you can't get elsewhere. I also picked up a really neat booklet in one of the stores on my second river road camping trip and it was the best $4 I've spent. It's a small yellow book, printed in black and white, that gives historical info about the area as you travel down many of the backcountry roads. I believe it's called the Backcountry Road Guide. I saw so many interesting sites that I hadn't seen before thanks to that little book.

If you have time, hike up to Emory peak from the Chisos Basin Lodge. It'll take a full day and will require ~25' of bouldering to get there, but it has some great views. The South Rim is better, but you'd be hard pressed to make it there and back in a day. I've done it, but it's nearly a 20 mile loop with a lot of elevation.

Another if you have time (and a high clearance vehicle), take the old maverick road from Santa Elena Canyon. Check out Luna's Jacal and imagine what life was like out there at the turn of the century. Stop at Terlingua Abajo and take a dip in the crystal clear creek water. Cross into the old village there and check out the old cold room made out of clay bricks, surrounded by collapsed rock houses. At Santa Elena canyon, go for a swim in the Rio Grande. Travel east on the river road to Rio Grande Village stopping for a drink in Castolon, an old border crossing, now closed. A quick jaunt to the Mariscal Mine and see how Mercury was pulled from the ground as quicksilver ore. Stop by the grounds of the Johnson ranch (sound familiar?) and read up on Elmo's crazy life out there. When you get to Rio Grande Village, take a walk down to the grounds of the old resort on the river and the giant old palm trees that were planted on the shoreline. Walk down to the hot springs and take a dip in the old "hot tub" full of flowing mineral water, forced up from the earth. You can buy trinkets from Boquillas Mexico right there on the shoreline (it's a crime), but people do it anyway. After the crossing was decommissioned, Boquillas lost most of its income, so they try to sell handmade items to keep money flowing into the town. A dude actually swims across the river there a couple times a day to collect money from the payment jar. From Rio Grande Village, take the Old Ore Road back north and see some great scenery. Stop a mile or so in and you will see a roadside grave with some neat history. There is also an old ranch you can check out at telephone canyon. Then back to the main road and your cabin.

Terlingua is a neat town a few miles outside of the park with a very cool cemetery and some eclectic characters.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Bring plenty of water, a hat, sun block good shoes, something to keep water in and a gun.

Drink as much water as you can hold and don't travel without any. My wife and in-laws refused to drink water when i took them and were miserable. I hardly broke a sweat most of the time.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    Take a gun and ammo--in case no one has said that yet!
    Your good to go in BBNP with a gun.
    Have fun it really is a neat place--lots to do if you research.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Good input gentlemen. I have a feeling that this will be the first of many trips down that way. I love the earths natural spectacles and I believe this place is full of them. I'd like to get down there during the fall or winter with my telescope and share a good look at the stars with my old lady. For now, a jeep tour(guided) for starters and then we'll choose our own destiny. Only four days of fun but I plan to make the most of it. An extra thanks to CodyG,I don't mind if you're long winded if you have something important to say. I have some friends who like to "rough it" out there every summer, I wish I was going with them or another experienced park-goer. This time the guides, both written and human, will have to do. Also have my dog with us. She just turned 8 but she's an active pitbull/border-collie mix. A good old-fashioned family outing!

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well I'm back from my outing and I have to say, if you have never been - GO ! I think it would be hard to see and do it all in one trip but we made good use of the time we had. A hike up Lost Mine trail, the window,a trip to Boquillas, a scenic drive down Ross Maxwell to Santa Elena and much much more. Cody gave some solid advice and we stayed well hydrated and thoroughly covered in sunblock. We even got to see a thunderstorm overtaking the mountains which was an awesome sight to see. So much good history and cool stuff to see, more than you could imagine. Definitely wasn't dog friendly, the desert is no place for dogs, hell I didn't even hear a single coyote. I did see a pair of snakes and a few Mexican nationals but they were all harmless and there is certainly no need to take more than one gun. Also, the people of Terlingua are an awesome bunch. The ghost town there was small but fun. Putting back some cold lonestars with the locals was priceless. Some real good people down there working hard and surviving on meager accomodations. Sounds like you're there during the rainy season Cody, I bet that's one of the better times for a rafting trip and a little easier on you heat wise. Overall, if you are a native Texan who wants to get a taste of the last frontier, it's right there on the border waiting for you.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Sounds like you're there during the rainy season Cody, I bet that's one of the better times for a rafting trip and a little easier on you heat wise.

Yep, that's my favorite time on the river road. Hardly any people around and some beautiful storms passing through. Feels like you are on an expedition when 4 guys are huddling under a little dining fly making dinner while waiting for the storm to pass...

Glad you had fun! Now you need to plan out all the things to see on the next trip...

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    Don't know if they still do the raft trips thru Santa Helena Canyon but might be worth checking out for next time. We took a 3 day trip and it was an awesome time.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom