Heat Advisory! How to Prevent Heat Exhaustion, or Stroke.

Wiliamr

TGT Supporter
Apr 15, 2011
Austin
I was a Letter Carrier for 35 years. I had walking routes for the first 20 or so. Shortest route was a 7 mile hike, longest 15 miles. The think that is over looked is hydrating the NIGHT before you go out. Your body is playing catchup if you hit the street and temp is already upper 80s or so and by the time you have been walking for 6 to 7 hours, you are in trouble. Cant tell you how many times I had heat stroke and or heat exhaustion over those years. I got a mounted route and while it may seem to be a better deal, the temperature inside the mail truck (thin aluminum skin, no AC no real fan except one tiny one on dash) get upwards of 130 - 150 degrees. Being inside one of those ovens for 6 or 7 hours a day is brutal. I had one customer who couldnt believe we didnt have AC, he looked for it one day as I delivered his mail, the next day he showed up with a infrared thermometer and verified the inside temp that day was 130+ I pointed out to him the cat converter was directly under the drivers seat. The floor temp was 180. So drink plenty of water night before, drink water all day, ice water is not best because it causes your blood vessels in stomach to constrict and that slows blood flow and actually causes you to heat up. So cool water (under 90degrees) and eat bananas, oranges, and lemon drop candies....

Axxe55

Professional Troublemaker
Dec 15, 2019
Deep East Texas.
It was bad in East Texas that year. More than a few lakes dropped or went dry that summer. Record high temps. I think our county was on a four month burn ban that year as well.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members