Venture Surplus ad

Hello All! What paperwork do I need? Anything I can't buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    A resident does not need a Texas ID to buy guns from individuals, nor dealers.

Buying from a dealer has been outlined above.

Buying from an individual has been incorrectly outlined above, to wit:
    There is no "time limit" or "ID card requirement" for residency when dealing with individuals (face to face sales). Under Texas law, the instant someone enters Texas with intent to reside, they are considered residents.
    Thats the same idea illegals have and why people get thrown in jail. That's why I wont sell a gun to anyone who doesnt have a Texas ID. Legal or not, I prefer to cover my ass.
    Hurley's Gold

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    A resident does not need a Texas ID to buy guns from individuals, nor dealers.

Buying from a dealer has been outlined above.

There is no "time limit" or "ID card requirement" for residency when dealing with individuals (face to face sales). Under Texas law, the instant someone enters Texas with intent to reside, they are considered residents.

Thats the same idea illegals have and why people get thrown in jail. That's why I wont sell a gun to anyone who doesnt have a Texas ID. Legal or not, I prefer to cover my ass.
    Well, perhaps I should have said "any US citizen" instead of "someone"

As far as "covering your ass", isn't that what happens when you simply follow the law?

It's this mysterious "cover my ass by going beyond the law" mentality that many people go by that has really chilled individuals enjoying their freedoms.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Well, perhaps I should have said "any US citizen" instead of "someone"

As far as "covering your ass", isn't that what happens when you simply follow the law?

It's this mysterious "cover my ass by going beyond the law" mentality that many people go by that has really chilled individuals enjoying their freedoms.

You have to be a resident of the state and not a felon is all I know. Easy way to prove your a resident is with a Texas Id. If your legal and all, it's easy to get a simply ID. Hell, I would probably settle for the temporary ID even. No excuses for not having the proper ID.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Hey all of you

Thanks for the useful advice.

In answer to your questions, I am a British citizen moving to Austin after many years in Asia. I guess I won't have a Texas accent for you. I hope you guys are not xenophobic - that's part of my reason for moving to the States after too many years in Thailand and their less than welcoming attitude.

I read online that to get a Texas driver license I need a passport and a visa with a date of expiry so I guess that rules out my vwp (visa waiver program) that we Brits use to enter the US as you would the UK.

Ironically, we wife (who has no interest in guns) could get a Texas license right away as she has a 10 year US visa...

Well, I guess I am going to need a drivers license for all sorts of things from driving to insurance, buying a car and a gun so I'd appreciate any tips on getting one quickly,

I will be residing in the US and will get a long term visa once my company is set up there etc but that all takes time so I wonder what I do in the meantime when I want a gun, car and all the other stuff an ID gets you.

Thank fir the advice, guys.

Paul
    You cannot buy a gun without a Visa. There are a few exceptions for diplomats and foreign Police. You will need either an immigrant Visa or a non immigrant Visa and a hunting license.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Meant to add... Where is the best hunting to be found near Austin?

Unfortunately, in regards to hunting, most land in Texas is privately owned and you'll have to make an arrangement with a land owner. This can vary from day hunts to full season leases. My guess is that the best thing to do is to hook up with someone who hunts once you get here. I believe there might be some public land available for hunting, at least there was years ago when I hunted, but I believe it's difficult to make arrangements to use it. I could be wrong in regards to hunting on public land and sure someone will correct me if I am.

Welcome to Texas

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector. [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

The accent is reasonable cause, and could be argued in court.

An alien legally in the U.S. may acquire firearms if he has a State of residence. An alien has a State of residence only if he is residing in that State and has resided in a State continuously for at least 90 days prior to the purchase. An alien acquiring firearms from a licensee is required to prove both his identity, by presenting a government-issued photo identification, and his residency with substantiating documentation showing that he has resided in the State continuously for the 90-day period prior to the purchase. Examples of qualifying documentation to prove residency include: utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements, and pay stubs from the purchaser’s place of employment, if such documents include residential addresses. See also Item 5, “Sales to Aliens in the United States,” in the General Information section of this publication. [18 U.S.C. 921, 922(b)(3), (d) and (g), 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.99(a)]

If he is not in the state for 90 days, then he is ineligible by Federal and State law to possess, own, or receive a handgun, ergo ... you cannot sell to this individual even on a personal face to face level.

He is not a resident of this state until he has resided here for 90 days. The law is different for aliens.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

Sorry, but when you are faced with life destroying federal felony and state charges, I'm going to check an ID. Call it what you want ... but I won't be calling anyone from prison.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    As noted, get utilities/rental agreements in your name ASAP. Then a TDL. Once you have that, you've started the "clock". ATF has pretty good info on their website w/regards to legal gun purchase/ownership for foreign nationals.

With regards to where to live, M2 was pretty spot-on with his assessment, an' the li'l feller in San Marcos has a point as well - there are several cities between the two that are good places to live. We live in New Braunfels, and love it here.

Both SA and Austin have TGT get-togethers from time to time - join us, ah'd bet that you'll git a chance to try your hand at any number of guns ta shoot an' evaluate!

wills

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Fayette County
    Hi there

My name is Paul and I am just moving to Austin, TX.

I am looking forward to life here and to enjoying some time on the ranges, hunting and hopefully meeting some of you.

I want to ask a couple of questions based on what I have read online regarding guns in the state.

1. I understand that I am able to buy a gun in the state with no permit or delay by just presenting a Texas state ID. What if I have just arrived and do not have local ID? Can I buy with a foreign passport? If not, what do I need to get a Texas ID? I will be resident in Texas.

2. Are there any weapons/types of guns that are restricted?

Thanks guys and hope to hear form you soon with answers to my questions. Great forum...

Paul

Just send me all your credit card numbers, Pilgrim, and I will take care of everything for you.

Top Bottom