Capitol Armory ad

Hello from a soon to be Wyoming transplant.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyoTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well hello everyone. My wife and I are going to be moving to the San Antonio area in a couple of weeks. As much as we love Wyoming, I drive a truck, and I've had it with winter. The only down side to Texas that I can see is that you have to get a permit to carry, and crime will be higher than the 4500 person mountain town that we live in. I chose Texas because it is relatively close to Wyoming as far as freedom, and we won't ever have to deal with winter again. We haven't lined up work yet but I shouldn't have a problem, as experienced drivers are always in demand. I'll miss being able to shoot long range rifle on any land I want, as Wyoming is mostly public, but some sacrifices had to be made. Best of the West looks like it is close enough to make a day trip to though. We eventually would like to settle in Seguin, as it is relatively small, while still being close to all of the jobs in the SA area. No fear of us being wacko Liberals, as we are generally farther to the right of most Wyoming Republicrats. But hello, and if anyone has info on Seguin as far as cost of living, crime, stores, eateries, traffic to and from SA or New Braunfels, etc. feel free to get me up to speed.
    Lynx Defense

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Howdy.

No info on your region of choice, my area(s) of experience are a couple or four hours further north.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Welcome to Texas and TGT.

One nice thing about Texas vs. Wyoming is the lack of wind. Natural wind that is. LoL.

WyoTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes sir, the one thing I won't miss is seeing my trailers leaning, or seeing daylight under the tires on one side. We moved from Buffalo to Cheyenne a year ago, and the wind down here is insane and it never seems to quit. We were back in Buffalo last week to finish the work on our house to get ready to sell it, and the wind at night a couple of times seemed like it was going to blow the camper over. I definately won't miss that. The one advantage will be that if I get back into competitive rifle shooting again, I'll have a leg up on the others on breezy days.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Yes sir, the one thing I won't miss is seeing my trailers leaning, or seeing daylight under the tires on one side. We moved from Buffalo to Cheyenne a year ago, and the wind down here is insane and it never seems to quit. We were back in Buffalo last week to finish the work on our house to get ready to sell it, and the wind at night a couple of times seemed like it was going to blow the camper over. I definately won't miss that. The one advantage will be that if I get back into competitive rifle shooting again, I'll have a leg up on the others on breezy days.

I hear ya.
    The heat here can be brutal to the unacclimated. Take it easy until you are.
    As a life long Texan I will say Texas sucks when it comes to public land shooting opportunities. There ain't none.
    Wyomie has us beat all to hell on that.
    There are a few public hunting options but they require much research to pursue.

Oh....one other thing.....folks here have never even seen thousand island dressing on french fries. LMAO.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just curious, have you been to San Antonio before?

I ask as you mention wanting to live in Seguin and work in SA. That's a 35+ mile trip each way, and depending on where you plan to work in San Antonio, it can easily be a 45 minute to an hour-and-a-half commute.

Unfortunately I have never been to Wyoming (my organization recently went to F.E. Warren AFB, but I missed out! :() but I have lived in the northwest (Idaho) and can tell you the traffic there is nothing like here. Just want to make sure you're aware of the situation, I have a 19-mile commute every morning (I leave around 5:30am) and it still takes me 25 minutes; and I have a relatively easy commute (nominal traffic on major roads). Rush hour around here can be pretty brutal.

There will be a lot of similarities to Wyoming in that we have pretty rocky terrain and small scrub trees outside of areas adjacent to major waterways. You won't have the mountains in the distance and not surprisingly the temperatures get a lot hotter here during the summer (we had triple digits late spring this year). It's dry and while the wind does pick up, it isn't as bad as what you've experienced up there.

Lastly, you'll probably be disappointed in the amount of private land in the Lone Star State. Only 4.2% of the state is public, whereas in Wyoming that figure is 55.9%. It was a shock to me when I first moved here as I always envisioned the state as being wide-open and accessible. Unfortunately, much of it is fenced off.

Otherwise, welcome to Texas! It is a great place to live and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Cheers! M2

WyoTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ya. I don't hunt anymore, so public land issues aren't really bothering me that much. And I'm not dead set on Seguin. New Braunfels is looking better. Our friend lives there and is going to set us up in his guest place until we get ourselves jobs and a house to rent. As far as long range shooting goes, I know that Best of the West in Liberty Hill isn't an exceedingly long drive, and I think I remember seeing that there is a range in the SA area that goes to 300, so that will be good for plinking around or load testing. Most of the trucking outfits are on the East side of SA, so I shouldn't have to get mixed up in the traffic for as long. But then again we used to live in the big city and I've driven through a lot of the big ones so it is just something to plan into the daily grind. And thanks to everyone for the welcome. And if you can think of ANYTHING that we will need to know, please jump on in. By the way, how long of a drive is it to the gulf from the SA area, and what is the speed limit on the interstates?

Top Bottom