Patriot Mobile

Hello from a soon to be Wyoming transplant.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    By the way, how long of a drive is it to the gulf from the SA area, and what is the speed limit on the interstates?

Corpus is about 144 miles/2 hours from San Antonio, and speed limits are 70 MPH but you'll find most folks going 10+ over that. Just make sure there's always someone going faster than you are and you should be fine!

Also note that on summer weekends, that time estimate will go up due to an increase in traffic.
    DK Firearms

WyoTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I'm at my friends place in New Braunfels. All settled in, applying for driving jobs. Unloading the truck in the Texas heat wasn't fun, but lots of water was my best friend. I won't be doing any shooting until my wife comes down and we find a place to rent for a couple years so I can set up my reloading stuff, and my drums (sucks). My friends pastor teaches a CHL course, so I'm going to talk to him, and get up to speed on all of the ins and outs of Texas laws. I'm really looking forward to getting my new life started. I hate not working (how weird is that).

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I have family in New Braunfels, family FROM Seguin (no longer there) and live in Austin with frequent trips to Houston.

I have friends in Boerne, which I can highly recommend, too.

Reach out via PM - I'd be happy to give details on either.

For what you do I might suggest someplace between Houston and Austin, as well. Chappel Hill is starting to grow, LaGrange is pretty, but it probably depends on what your typical trucking schedule/jobs look like.

There are a few other drivers on here (I'm not one) that could give good advice on where to avoid (Austin, if only because of traffic) and where the best jobs/routes are.

Welcome!

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Well, I'm at my friends place in New Braunfels. All settled in, applying for driving jobs. Unloading the truck in the Texas heat wasn't fun, but lots of water was my best friend. I won't be doing any shooting until my wife comes down and we find a place to rent for a couple years so I can set up my reloading stuff, and my drums (sucks). My friends pastor teaches a CHL course, so I'm going to talk to him, and get up to speed on all of the ins and outs of Texas laws. I'm really looking forward to getting my new life started. I hate not working (how weird is that).

It's not too far to Lockhart, where several of us live near enough by to meet you and shoot with you sometime. In fact, Hoji lives right around the corner from there and I'm about 30 minutes away. Hoji is also a CHL instructor.

Side note: if you want to carry NOW, apply for the non-resident Arizona permit. You'll get it in two weeks and it's valid here. Won't help you with NICS checks, but is a good option while you're waiting on your Texas LTC.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Welcome. Vacations are fine, unemployment sucks.
    Good luck with the job search. You might try to make the local lunch meet. Get to know folks anyway.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

WyoTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's not easy for me to not be working and making money, but I have faith that the Lord will show me the way ( I hope posting that doesn't violate forum rules). I'm really looking at line haul (night) runs for bigger LTL companies. The only downside is that they are all located inside the 410 loop, so a commute will be the order of the day. But at my age I need the higher pay and more importantly, the insurance, for me and my wife. I would really like to stay in New Braunfels or possibly Seguin. My friend was describing possible commute times from there as 40 minutes or so. I have been told that Seguin has a higher possibility of crime and gang issues, but I don't really know. Maybe someone here can chime in with real information. I have found jobs posted in New Braunfels and Seguin, but they are not with companies that I have solid info on. One is hauling dry cement, and I've been told that the claims of pay don't add up with the price per ton as it's percentage. The other is 5 or 6 day runs between Seguin and New Braunfels but it's a no name operation. I'm hesitant to take the first opportunity just to have a paycheck. I did that a couple of times in my life, and it never went well. My friend told me that I could stay in his guest house as long as I needed, but I'm not the type to impose on others. But I do feel blessed to have a friend in the right place at the right time. I would like to meet up with fellow shooters in the future, and possibly make new friends, but for right now I 'm concentrating on finding work so I can get things on track for my wifes arrival in July.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Seguin isn't bad. Lots of bored kids, some property crime, but not gang-ridden (especially compared to San Antonio).

I'd give job advice but I know nothing about the trucking industry, employment, etc.

PM cbigclarke on here - he might know of some stuff.

WyoTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I got a job. Now to get some money saved up, find a decent place to rent, and get my wife down here. I would really like to get out and do some more work with my rifles, but I'm prioritizing for a while. I'm looking at Best of the West, or Hicksville, as they are the only ranges that are long enough to justify even loading anything for my rifles. Although for my 92, 100 yds would be fine. So when I get settled in I'll try and make it a point to meet up with some of you fella's. God bless, and thanks for making me feel welcome.

Top Bottom