• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MystoganEnigma

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    Hello, everyone. Just a college student who lives in Austin and has recently taken an interest in guns. But since I'm completely new to guns and gun laws in Texas....

A quick question, where can I ask questions about owning non-firing gun replicas? Is it legal in Texas? Or requiring orange tips? Age requirement?

I'm looking to buy a non-firing gun replica. Something like this:
    http://www.historicreplicaguns.com/1911replicagun.html

Not going to carry it anywhere else but inside my house. Put it on display or something.
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

MystoganEnigma

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016

I know I must sound weird or stupid asking about non-firing gun replicas in a forum where people own/carry actual guns.
    It's because I'm an international student. I'd rather avoid any trouble with owning a real gun that can even fire blanks.
    On the other hand, I want to get a feel of holding one.

Last edited:

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Well, come on down to Dietz in New Braunfels on Sunday (See the thread in the San Antonio area sub-forum.) You'll have a blast and get the opportunity to hold plenty of them.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Well, come on down to Dietz in New Braunfels on Sunday (See the thread in the San Antonio area sub-forum.) You'll have a blast and get the opportunity to hold plenty of them.
    Th is, or if you can't make it to that we have members meet up all the time all around the state.

There is also a lunch meeting every Friday in Austin. Sometimes members go shoot after that.

Welcome.

If you want the heft without it looking too real I believe GTs in Austin and other places sell blue training guns.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    While you are generally not allowed to own/possess firearms because of your F-1 student visa (below)...

Nonimmigrant Aliens Not Permitted to Possess Firearms

In 1998, Public Law 105-277 amended the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 and made it illegal for nonimmigrant aliens to possess or transport firearms or ammunition in the United States. On 05 February the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms of the United States Department of the Treasury published regulations that became effective on 19 February 2002.

http://www.visaservices.duke.edu/FireArms.html#q4

...that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the thrill of shooting! If you can make it down to San Antonio one of these days let us know and I'll let you shoot a real 1911 (as well as anything else I have!).

As for replica firearms, you can easily buy them online with no restrictions. It doesn't sound like you're going to take them out of your home but just be careful if you do decide to do so as they do appear to be actual firearms even if they're not!

Cheers! M2

Weaponologist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Statesville NC
    Welcome to the Forum..
    Another idea would be Black Powder Firearms. There real but no FFL or other paperwork needed. And they can ship to your door...
    Nothing like the feel of an old Army or Navy Revolver in the hand...

itsawondertoo

Semper Fi! Don't make me use my knife hands!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Katy, TX
    Welcome to TGT! A musket always has a nice look mounted above a fireplace next to a broadsword or claymore....

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    While you are generally not allowed to own/possess firearms because of your F-1 student visa (below)...

...that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the thrill of shooting! If you can make it down to San Antonio one of these days let us know and I'll let you shoot a real 1911 (as well as anything else I have!).

As for replica firearms, you can easily buy them online with no restrictions. It doesn't sound like you're going to take them out of your home but just be careful if you do decide to do so as they do appear to be actual firearms even if they're not!

Cheers! M2

Reads to me like if he shoots, he is in possession ; therefore, in violation.

Top Bottom