• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Just to throw something else out there for you, there are chokes that are rifled. Don't really know if it works better than any other system, but it seems for deer hunting and defensive needs any method works fine enough if you do your part.

To get really effective at using slugs, practice swapping your loads out on the fly without dumping all your ammo. With practice people can replace a shot load in the chamber with a slug in 5 seconds or less. Then setting it up to shoot two slugs doesn't take a whole lot more time either.

I know with mossberg pumps you rack the shell that's in the chamber out then flick the shell that just got loaded on the elevator out the ejection port, then you grab a slug and load it through the ejection port and slam the slide forward and bam, you have a slug in the chamber. There's a technique for 870s that I'm not too sure if I have it right. I think you rack the slide back about halfway then push the shells in the tube back past the cartridge locks, then continue bringing the slide back, drop a slug in and send it home. Different models and different manufacturers probably work differently so you need to figure out how yours works.
    Lynx Defense

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, a select slug with an 870 is push the lever, open partway, push the shell in the magazine, open the rest of the way, insert slug, close and fire.

It takes a lot of practice to do it right and to do it fast.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    There was a Sabot's vs rifle slugs on The Box of Truth that was interesting. Seems like you can get very good accuracy out of a rifled slug barrel with sabots, but they are very expensive.

Otherwise, they are big hunk of lead that have killed tons of deer in the past.

Top Bottom