• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShootinFrenzy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    San Antonio
    As the title says, I need some help. I have a Savage model 110 that had a new barrel put on it years before I acquired the weapon. The problem is that I pretty sure that the barrel is not the right year range for the gun because it is a stainless barrel. Can anyone besides Savage help me out in determining witch model and year this rifle is? The s/n in B647XXX.

Thanks,
    Brandon

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The Savage 110 has been manufactured in various sub-models since the late 1950's. It's known for being a good solid accurate rifle at a low price. In 7 mm Mag, it would be a very nice deer rifle. I find it odd that someone would need to put a new barrel on it, unless they were modifying the gun. That would sorta make your particular rifle unique.

You could write to Savage's customer service and see if they can confirm the exact model.

ShootinFrenzy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    San Antonio
    I called Savage today and was told that they no longer have any historical data. They said that I would have to send a letter to some guy in the North East and wait for an answer, if there was an answer to be had. From talking to the friend of dads' that I purchased the gun from, I learned that the original owner had the barrel put on by Nagles here in SA due to something being wrong with original barrel. I do know that the gun itself is better than 30 yrs old b/c dads' friend is pushing 50, and bought the gun when he was in is 20's. That being said, from what he tells me, Savage didn't start putting stainless barrels on their guns until the 80's and the original owner purchased the gun before then. In addition I have owned the gun roughly 9 years and have killed my fare share of deer, pigs ect. with it.

The whole deal with me trying to find out what year it was produced was to figure out exactly which model it was, and put its respective model barrel back on it. Whether it be making the gun a different caliber or returning it back to the 7mm it came in. Since I own a 300wsm and a 223 rifle, I figured something in the middle would be good.

If I get a chance I will post a pic.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I guess my question about putting another barrel on it is "why?" You could sell the rifle and buy a new one for less than re-barreling this one. If it shoots good, then why mess with success? If you don't like the stainless, you can have it Duracoated. It's not going to gain any value by replacing the barrel.

I don't mean to discourage you, but just trying to make sure you've thought this through.

ShootinFrenzy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    San Antonio
    I appreciate your concern in this matter. I was planning on getting rid of it, then decided that I would rather hold on to it. There was really no need in selling a $250 gun just to buy a 5 or 700 dollar gun to replace it. It needs a little bit of work b/c I am having trouble with it staying on. So I figured since I was going to tare it down, might as well change the caliber to something that I will use more often. Thus, me wanting to know the exact model so that I could put the proper barrel on it, just to keep it "original" minus the different caliber. Though all of this will probably not happen until next year. I am still undecided. I might contact the guy that loads my 300wsm shells and ask him if he has a good load for the 7mm and see if that helps before I get all gung ho on it.

ShootinFrenzy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    San Antonio
    I might give it a go when I tare it all down. As with most new things I try, I will defiantly do my home work before I jump off into the deep end.

If anyone has any info on my s/n I would still like to know more about my weapon.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    I bought a pre-owned, pre Accu Trigger, Savage 110 30-06 with a Bushnell scope on it. Probably a package deal when new. The serial # is F1006XX. The wood stock is in excellent condition so I figured it had probably been a closet queen most of its life. I took off the Bushnell scope and had a Leupold, 3X9, 40, Rifleman mounted. This gun is kick ass accurate and kicks like a mule with the old brick like recoil pad while wearing a tee shirt.
    I tried to get history info on it through the Savage Forum but never got any answers from their gurus there. Savage was even less help, I got the same referral to someone that charges for their knowledge. I think it's a model 110B (manufactured from 1976 to date) according to Gun Traders Guide, but there are so many 110 models it's a little confusing.
    I have thought about selling the rifle but since I couldn't get a more accurate rifle for more money I've decided to just keep it.
    And on another note, the elevation cap was missing from the Bushnell scope. No big deal I thought, just order another one from Bushnell. Wrong! I've ordered the cap twice from them and both times they sent me the wrong cap. Both caps they sent have inside threads even though I took great pains to explain the threads on my elevation post are also on the inside. Then I called them, the person I talked to said she would have to ask a technician and call me back. No call yet and that was over a month ago. Don't think I'll be buying another Bushnell scope. Guess I'll have to cover it with a piece of tape.Customer service sucks!

bluto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    Wasington DC
    Yours is newer than 68. (Letter codes J-T represent the years 1958-1968). They switched to A001001 in Dec 1968.

As far as I know the Savage 110 long actions were only chambered in the 70s in 7mm mag, .270, and .30-06. Given that the other two required a bolt face change, it's pretty likely that your gun was originally chambered the same as the replacement barrel.

It's pretty easy to change barrels on a savage, switchbarrel.com has lots of info. There are now lots of aftermarket barrels if you want a 7mm barrel that would have a blued finish, like the original. It's a job that a moderately mechanical person someone who would have no problems changing a brake cylinder or similar) could do at home with a few specialty tools.

R/T Rifle Shop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Per 29th edition of Blue Book of Gun Values, the 110 series was first produced in 1958. In 1994, all Savage rifles employ a laser etched bolt featuring the Savage logo. In 1996 they began using pillar bedded stocks for many of their rifles. An alphabetical suffix "B" means a laminated wood stock. Between 1989-91, 110-B was introduced in magnum calibers of .300 win. mag. and .338 win. mag. with a brown laminated hardwood stock and iron sights. Since you have a magnum bolt face rifle of .540 +/- it's possible your original caliber was either a .300 or .338 win. mag. The AccuTriggers were released on Savage rifles during 2003. Hope the info helps.

Bill.

Torchrider

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Central Texas
    Chances are the barrel was replaced with an aftermarket barrel of better quality. Savage actions are well known for being very strong and a good platform to build a custom rifle on a budget. I am in the process of building a .338 EDGE on a Savage receiver. Also, because Savage barrels are so easy to change, many people create switch barrel/caliber guns so they can shoot multiple calibers on a single action. Savage is good. Don't sell it. :-)

Top Bottom