• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JayeMechanico

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Buda, TX
    Hello to all. After a lot of research, some budgeting and a bit of personal preference I have put together what is my first bolt rifle and optic setup. I will use this primarily to get into long range shooting at my nearest range, Best of the West (out to 1000 yds). I'll also use this rifle to long range hunt a few times a year at most, from 200 yards and out for hog/deer/large game. So I'll give y'all my setup and a few specs, and hopefully you can help me with my question on optics and long range up to 1000yds.

My setup; Thompson Center Venture 300 Win Mag topped with Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42 BDC reticle. MAX 40 MOA INTERNAL ADJUSTMENT.

Well, I am super happy with my setup as far as quality of goods, both rifle and scope. But I wasn't aware of, or educated enough on the topic at the time, that the max internal elevation on this scope was pretty low at 40 MOA. I plan to zero this rifle at 200 yards and shoot to max 1000 yards at least so I can compete in stuff like the TLRS events and other friendly long range competition. So, I researched today a bit and found a 20 MOA scope base from Evolution Gun Works made for my rifle. I bought it, pretty much assuming that this is the only way I'm gonna get to 1k yards with my setup.

Do you think I'm stretching my scopes limits too far by doing this? Will the 20 moa base be enough to get the scope to 1k yards? Will I be too close to max adjustment when zero'd at 200 yds, and then adjusting for 1000 yard shots? Can I even zero at 200 yards with this setup?

I'm already the proud owner of the Nikon, so I have to utilize it. With your help, any experience and advice would be greatly appreciated so I can get it to its full potential! It's a second focal plane scope, so I'll be using it mainly on full power 16x. And I also assume that my BDC circles will be useless once I adjust elevation from the original 200yd zero settings, so center crosshairs only for the adjusted elevation shots? Thanks in advance for any insight, I hope I didn't $crew up by getting the Nikon.
    Venture Surplus ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    First off, you definitely could have spent more and been better equipped, but I believe what you have will work.

20 MOA bases are the go to bases for most long range shooters so you should be fine at 200 and 1000.

Learn to dial in your scope for the distances you are going to shoot. A good dope chart and even a ballistic app for your phone will help you out.

The BDC reticle may be handy for normal hunting distances where speed is key so learn them also. But really from zero to 300 yards is not much different with a 300 WM.

A heavy barrel and brake will be key for extended shooting sessions, but again, what you have will work.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Do you reload? If so good. If not that will probably be the best next step for you. It will save you money and help maximize your rifles potential.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    This is a view through my scope at 6x. Vortex Viper 6-24x50 ffp BTW

553aaae1bf96d532432c576d86158db4.jpg

This is a view at 24x.

7cd88748c22d67455ff235d7c9b1a55a.jpg

These are the 1000 yard targets at BOTW. I am not positive what size they are but they are big. If your scope is clear then you should be good to go.

JayeMechanico

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Buda, TX
    This is good news to hear I can likely make it work! I'll definitely get a good dope chart made for reference, and I've got the Nikon Spot On Ballistics App on my phone, it seems to be quite diverse and accurate. And, with the elevation at zero setting the BDC reticle will get good ammunition out to around 700 yards with the different circle dots, more than enough for hunting purposes. Thanks for the reply!

JayeMechanico

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Buda, TX
    Do you reload? If so good. If not that will probably be the best next step for you. It will save you money and help maximize your rifles potential.

I literally just got a single stage press setup, the RCBS Supreme Master reloading kit. I got a few extras, like a digital scale and powder stand. Also a case trimmer and a Hornady 300 Win Mag die set. Harbor Freight media tumbler. I have a Nosler reloading manual, and will be purchasing a Hornady manual this week.

In the meantime I have some 180gr Federal premium with Nosler partition, and 165gr prvi partizan sp, to practice with and so I can reload the brass. But I cant wait to experiment with a few loads and find the right one for my rifle. It's a pretty exciting time for me as I am fairly new to long range shooting and also reloading, very enthusiastic about being a part of both hobbies!

JayeMechanico

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Buda, TX
    A heavy barrel and brake will be key for extended shooting sessions, but again, what you have will work.

The barrel is the OEM Weather Shield (Stainless steel) version, made for T/C by Smith and Wesson. It is 1:10 twist with 5R rifling. They guarantee 1 MOA and from research it seems that consumers back that claim up. I forgot to mention earlier in my thread that in order to combat recoil and for tracking/followup I installed a Witt Machine clamp on Muzzle Brake after I did some precise measuring of my barrel and sent the info over to them. I have yet to try it out so I look forward to that. I went with the clamp on so as not to void the lifetime warranty on the rifle by threading the barrel. Consumer reviews seem very positive about the clamp on from Witt Machine, so I'm confident in its performance.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Good deal.

A heavy barrel (not sure what your is) will wander less as it heats up during extended sessions. A good adjustable stock will help manage recoil also and make for a better fit. But this is all money and you will see if what you have does what you need it to and upgrade later.

For good hunting and accurate bullets I like Hornady SSTs. They shoot very well and are great on game. Win/ win to me for bullets. Generally match bullets do not expand so they fall short in the hunting catagory. I would try 180 gr SSTs for reloading a 300 WM.

Mid range loads seem to be the most accurate loads but of course every rifle is different. Do yourself a favor and google what seems to be working well for others that use that rifle and go from there. This will save you from buying a ton of different powders to experiment with as well as primers, bullets, and brass. Just remember to be cautious with any load data you find and check your manuals/ manufacturer's websites to be sure they are safe.

I like the Richard Lee and Lyman reloading books. I stay away from bullet manufacturer's books as they just tend to give load data for their bullets.

hoghunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2014
    The barrel is the OEM Weather Shield (Stainless steel) version, made for T/C by Smith and Wesson.

T/C was making those barrels for their Icon when S&W purchased T/C. S&W was making the ugly-a$$ i-Bolt rifle and needed a good barrel, so they bought T/C.

JayeMechanico

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Buda, TX
    As soon as I get a Ruger Precision rifle I'm probably gonna go with a LUCID L5 6-24x50. For the price they get great reviews and the company owner post on FB of long distance shots and accuracy all the time.

The Ruger Precision is a badass rifle. That L5 seems like a nice optic. I'll be a happy camper with my Monarch 3 setup once I get the 20 moa base installed and the scope dialed in at 200yds. As long as my Nikon can handle the 20 moa base and adjustments necessary to keep me from 200-1000yds it'll be exactly what I'm looking for.
    Congrats on the Ruger, looks fun as shit to shoot!

InsaneAccuracy

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2015
    This is a view through my scope at 6x. Vortex Viper 6-24x50 ffp BTW

553aaae1bf96d532432c576d86158db4.jpg

This is a view at 24x.

7cd88748c22d67455ff235d7c9b1a55a.jpg

These are the 1000 yard targets at BOTW. I am not positive what size they are but they are big. If your scope is clear then you should be good to go.

Nice pic through your scope, we video there for our YouTube channel on Monday and Tuesday when they are closed and the 1st and 4th plate are 18" x 24" and the round plates were for when big guns were allowed and they are 18" and over an inch thick, they don't move when you hit, the other plate is a cut down oddball from 18x24 when a hanger hole cracked out. You are right on his base and rifle, but the longer we shoot long the more we head to heavy bullets and give up some velocity, they just do better in the wind and with a East/West facing range in Texas the crosswinds always blow. We have been shooting 180 gr Accubonds for years in our hunting rifles but are fixin to try 200 gr Accubonds we have for the RUM and see how they do. A bunch of 300 win shooters out there are trying 200-210gr Bullets.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I've seen a few Nikon scopes not track well or hangup when dialing. Most don't have the internals to withstand anything besides just setting and forgetting.

The bdc stuff will work ok out to around 400 or so but after that you really need to know current conditions to do good. It can be set up to work good but it's only going to be for a certain parameter to be correct.

The Amax has worked stellar for me as a duel purpose bullet. I also use Berger a good bit now too but mainly in matches although I do plan to try it on game soon.

memo43

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pretty good set up you have so far, as for the scope you are pushing the envelope a bit, but nothing to major.
    What kind of long range shooting are you planning IE paper targets or steel targets.
    The current scope you have will do just fine especially under 600 yards where the max power will not hold you down especially when trying to get key shot placement.
    A good vortex like already mentioned would do wonders and the warranty in itself warrants the price.
    I am currently running a muller scope, and have no regrets
    ( http://muelleroptics.com/mueller-8-32x44-side-focus-tactical)
    Also do you have a pic of your current set up
    there is plenty of load data out there for the 300 and don't be afraid to use lighter bullets if your barrel twist will allow it.

Memo

JayeMechanico

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Buda, TX
    Pretty good set up you have so far, as for the scope you are pushing the envelope a bit, but nothing to major.
    What kind of long range shooting are you planning IE paper targets or steel targets.
    The current scope you have will do just fine especially under 600 yards where the max power will not hold you down especially when trying to get key shot placement.
    Also do you have a pic of your current set up
    there is plenty of load data out there for the 300 and don't be afraid to use lighter bullets if your barrel twist will allow it.
    Memo

So the type of shooting I'll be doing will be mostly steel targets at long ranges past 250 yards, and paper targets inside of that range and for setting zero. Occasional hunting also. The range nearest to me is Best of the West just outside of Austin and they have rifle from 25yds out to 1000yds (1k yard targets pictured earlier in this thread by Dawico) Using the BDC reticle and a 200yd zero with 16x magnified setting, I can reach out to about 640yds accurately without any adjustments. That is more than sufficient for my personal LR hunting preferences. To reach out further at 1000yds I can adjust elevation for the stationary targets and not worry about using the BDC, just use the crosshairs.
    I plan on experimenting in a few different loads, lighter 165gr a mid weight 180gr and a heavier 200-205gr. Still researching a bit, trying to determine best combos with highest Ballistic Coefficient.
    I'll post my setup details and some pics in a while after I get them uploaded to my PC.

JayeMechanico

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Buda, TX
    Here's my setup.
    Thompson Center Venture 300 Win Mag
    24'' Barrel
    1:10 Rate of Twist
    5R Rifling
    20 MOA Evolution Gunworks Scope Base
    Nikon Monarch3 4-16x42
    Witt Machine Muzzlebrake
    LRH1.jpg LRH2.jpg LRH3.jpg LRH4.jpg

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I used to shoot the 178 gr A-Max,200 gr Sierra Matchking,208 gr A-Max,and 210 gr Berger VLD & Sierra Matchkings when I was shooting a 300 WM long range. They are all great long range bullets for that cartridge.
    You'll find out quick that you made a wrong choice in optics. Hunting optics usually don't work very well for long range target work. The BDC reticles are really useless. I run Sightron SIII scopes on all my long range rigs,and hope to have a Kahles K624i in the near future.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    If youre going to get serious about shooting you will need a new scope. The bdc reticle and small internal range will not be conducive to making good hits. The 212 eldx would be a good choice for that rifle. I loaf 208 amaxs for my 300wm but theyre discontinued now and the 212 packs the best punch along with being able to expand.

Top Bottom