Lynx Defense

Help with San Antonio car carry ordinance! Quick!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Hey guy. So, I am traveling down to SA next week and always car carry. I call the EPPD to confirm my knowledge of the carry laws in TX and the officer responds, "In the great State of Texas, you can carry as many guns as you want, loaded, chambered, out of plane sight". What a great LEO. SO, I cal SAPD to ask if they have different ordinances. The lady literally tells me to store it in a ziplock bag in the back seat! She acknowledges that defeats the purpose but states it is not ok in many counties to carry it within reach. She stated that if an officer see's it on the dash, I will be held at gunpoint, or if a civi see's it, they will get scared and think "I am going to have road rage". Haha. So I let her know that it has to be out of plain sight anyways. She says, "it's not a good idea to have it within reach, someone could steal it if you forget it". What the hell lady!? Basically I did not get a solid answer but indications that it is not permitted, in SA, to carry my loaded weapon within reach in my vehicle. Once again, I have to turn to my friends here. For those of you who live in SA, does the Texas HB1815 not apply to SA somehow? I'm pretty sure it does, but after this lady, I HAVE to ask. Thanks.
    Capitol Armory ad

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Ok thank you for clarification. I don't know what the heck was up with that lady. It was like she was discretely demanding that I place my firearm in a ziplock back in the backseat. She was fixated on it. She stated she does it too. So weird.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Yes!!

SA is no different then anywhere else in TX regardless of what they want to say to you. If they can discourage it they will and since you asked they did.

I had to cause someone once told me SA city ordinance was terrible and they didn't recognize the state law.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Thank you guys very much for the warning! I would have certainly had it loaded, as I do in El Paso, but it's allowed. Any known reason why they have this ordinance against loaded long guns? Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Thank you guys very much for the warning! I would have certainly had it loaded, as I do in El Paso, but it's allowed. Any known reason why they have this ordinance against loaded long guns? Thanks everyone.

Because it's San Antonio and another bastion of liberal numbskullery!! This is a city that says you can't carry a 4" folding knife that lock back but a 4" fixed blade is fine?????

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I concur. Concealed, within reach. Part of the Castle Law.
    Actually the Castle Doctrine has nothing to do with where you can carry.

OP, you may be able to carry in your car without a CHL. It is a violation if the handgun is in plain view, or if you are prohibited by law from possessing a firearm, or if you are a member of a criminal street gang, or if you are committing a crime (minor traffic violations do not count). See Texas Penal Code 46.02

Texas is also a preemption state, and cities are not permitted to have laws regarding carry that are stricter than state law.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Hey guy. So, I am traveling down to SA next week and always car carry. I call the EPPD to confirm my knowledge of the carry laws in TX and the officer responds, "In the great State of Texas, you can carry as many guns as you want, loaded, chambered, out of plane sight". What a great LEO. SO, I cal SAPD to ask if they have different ordinances. The lady literally tells me to store it in a ziplock bag in the back seat! She acknowledges that defeats the purpose but states it is not ok in many counties to carry it within reach. She stated that if an officer see's it on the dash, I will be held at gunpoint, or if a civi see's it, they will get scared and think "I am going to have road rage". Haha. So I let her know that it has to be out of plain sight anyways. She says, "it's not a good idea to have it within reach, someone could steal it if you forget it". What the hell lady!? Basically I did not get a solid answer but indications that it is not permitted, in SA, to carry my loaded weapon within reach in my vehicle. Once again, I have to turn to my friends here. For those of you who live in SA, does the Texas HB1815 not apply to SA somehow? I'm pretty sure it does, but after this lady, I HAVE to ask. Thanks.

Bullshit. The law is preempted by state law, and unenforceable. No city or county in TX can pass a firearms law more strict than state law.

The lady you talked to doesn't know what she's talking about.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    THIS.

I spent a coupla years trying to get cited/arrested for it.....they never would, dammit. Had everything ready for a nice, fat lawsuit, too.....

Would have been nice, because then the stupid law would be off the books and people would stop asking about it, LOL.

Top Bottom