Capitol Armory ad

Henry AR-7 or Marlin "Papoose" as a survival rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Title really says it all. Two different take-down .22s that could be stored in a vehicle trunk or slipped into a hiking pack. Anyone have either one? They both have benefits and detractors, but that's the same with everything.
    DK Firearms

GlockontheRocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    McAllen, TX
    I have a Marlin Papoose. It has the original case and accessory wrench for tightening. It is a nice looking rifle, walnut(?) stock, blue finish. I have put maybe 500 rounds through it in the course of 8 or so years that I've owned it. It has not had any real problems other than FTF with factory duds.

I had a an older AR-7 that was a jam-o-matic. I tried several brands of .22 ammo. Bought an extra mag. Still, no remedy. I was impressed with the take down and storage. I was not impressed with the finish. It seemed to mar very easily. I loved the concept, did not like the rifle. It did not seem to line up well either. When assembled the front sight appeared to be cocked to the left. I felt that the fit to finish left much to be desired. I understand the concept and that it is an inexpensive rifle, but so is the Marlin relatively speaking. The Marlin does not seem to have those issues. Maybe I just was fortunate enough to get a factory lemon. I traded it in to the shop I bought it from.

In my opinion, go with the Marlin.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I think I would rather have a Ruger 10-22. The Ruger barrel is held on with a single bolt and easily removes. Add a folding stock and you get a much more durable smaller package than either if your choices plus high cap mags and thousands of other products.

With a side folder It also stores smaller assembled and is ready should you need it.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I think I would rather have a Ruger 10-22. The Ruger barrel is held on with a single bolt and easily removes.

Mikewood, would you post a picture of your Ruger? Mine is not so simple and not only requires you to remove the stock from the action with a screw, the barrel band also has to go, and then it requires another tool for the two allen head screws to remove the barrel from the "v" block that holts it onto the receiver. My four screws, and two different screwdrivers don't make it very easy to take down. I am interested in your set up. Where did you get the parts?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I had an AR-7, never had a Papoose, but I've got a Model 60. The AR-7 is probably lighter and definitely breaks down smaller, but it's very finnicky and I wasn't impressed with the accuracy. Otherwise, it's a very cool design. I'd only go with the AR-7 if weight and/or space were a limiting factor.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Another benefit of the AR7 is that when everything is stored in the stock, it floats. I've heard there are mods you can perform yourself to make the rifle more tolerant of less powerful ammo, but have also seen that people that use MiniMags have no reliability problems. I've also heard that the front sight is plastic, but that it can be replaced with a metal one. I think the best place to ask about either rifle is rimfirecentral. They have a Marlin and a Henry sub form, and both are VERY active.

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    I purchased an AR7 Henry a few months ago, but have not shot it yet. I like the ease of putting it together and breaking it down. The fact that it floats doesn't mean much here in West Texas!

The sights are not very well made, but WTH it is a survival rifle and should do well for its intended use.

Brad

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Papoose. And have the barrel spun for a suppressor. The can, stamp and several spare mags fit in the case making for an awesome go gun.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If I was going to the trouble of hanging a can on a Papoose, I think I'd have the barrel cut back to 10" while I was at it.

What's one more tax stamp, really?

redneckinmontrose

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    +1 on AR-7 failure to feed. Think it is a weak magazine spring, but have not taken the time to find a replacement. There were several different manufacturers though, so maybe somebody made a few good ones. Mine is from Armalite.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've owned both but I sold the Papoose. My AR-7 is a Charter brand made before Henry had the license. I shot both of them a lot so I'll try to give a shooters perspective as well.

I like the AR-7 as it all stores into the floating stock. Unfortunately, the stock is fat and ungainly for shooting purposes. I don't understand why room wasn't left for an extra magazine. The barrel is cast with a steel liner and the receiver is also cast. Quality of both is pretty marginal. The barrel is mounted to the receiver with a large knurled nut. No tool is furnished or required.

I strongly dislike the elementary peep sight was just barely, better than nothing. The bolt operating rod retracts into the bolt. That's a great space saver. I never had feeding issues but with the cast receiver, knew that keeping the gun well oiled was necessary. I carried the rifle behind the seat of my truck for 10's of thousands of miles and still own it. The stock shows scratches from rattling around behind the seat but the rest of the parts are as new. The in-stock storage really protects the parts. It's very muzzle light and hard for me to shoot. Similar to the Papoose, there is no stock under the barrel.

The Papoose is essentially a Marlin Model 60 receiver with a stainless steel barrel. The barrel mounts to the receiver with a large knurled nut. A spanner wrench is furnished to loosen the nut. The disassembled rifle straps into a nice, fitted case. The sights are typical open type found on Marlin .22 rifles. They are nicely made and proven in years of use. They are superior to the AR-7. The receiver is cast aluminum, left unfinished but superior in quality to that found on the AR-7. The Papoose shoots like a Mod 60. No better, no worse.

I did NOT like the fact that there was no stock or anything on the lower part of the barrel. The receiver ends, barrel screws on and that's it. The barrel is hanging out in outer space!. It made the rifle goofy to shoot. Marlin could design a clamp on stock to go under the barrel to make this a real winner. I couldn't stand to shoot it as it was so muzzle light, it didn't work well for me. I traded it off.

I traded the Papoose and kept the AR-7. That's the score here.

Flash

357reload

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    fort worth tx
    i may have one and a half of that gun. Cousin died and found a complete gun and either the stock or the barrel of another. If some one is interested will dig around and find them. please send email. i dont check this forum very often . for months at a time

frankgon4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Caddo Mills, TX
    From your 2 choices in this thread, I would go with the Marlin Papoose over the Henry AR-7. I think the Marlin is a better quality rifle. The Henry AR-7 quality seems to be a hit or miss.
    My personal .22 is a Ruger Charger. It weighs 3 1/2 lbs and has a 10 inch barrel, so it fits in my pack.

Top Bottom