• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • big_bad_kitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Denton, TX
    The adventure begins. I thought I would never get the last of the rubber mulch bagged and stacked but last night I finally got it to where I think it will hold whatever is thrown at it! I went back out this morning and finished the target frames, last of the trim on the front and actually fired 300 or so rounds at it. Don't know why I didn't do this when we moved out here three years ago!

The backstop is 12' wide, 6' high and at least 2' deep . I have fired 22lr from a Nylon 66, 44 mag from my 629 S&W, 45 ACP from my Kimber Ultra Covert II and 9MM from my S&W 659. The deepest penetration I have been able to document so far has been right at 16". That was from the 44 mag. I was really surprised but that is how it works so far. My last fifty rounds were from my 659 and I shot the TX qualifying course for the CHL. I just can't keep from dropping at least one! Never fails. I have attached a couple of pictures so you can see what it looks like. I still have some minor cleaning to do from all the construction but it is at least usable for my classes within another hour or two of cleaning and make ready. I will run two lanes, the outside ones to give some separation of the targets. If I have experienced shooters that I know and am comfortable with, I can run all three lanes to get them qualified a little quicker. I am overjoyed and just can't wait until the end of the month when I have my first Texas class on the range!

p1010310.jpg

p1010314.jpg

p1010318.jpg
    Target Sports

big_bad_kitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Denton, TX
    If you could get a silencer on the handgun it might just work! I can tell you I have about 2K rounds of 45acp, 9mm, 44 mag and 40 S&W downrange and I have not had one penetrate through the 2' of rubber mulch. It appears to be working great and my only question is how long before I need to rebag and restack the 2' of rubber crumbs. Time will tell because I am using it and it is not sitting idle!

big_bad_kitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Denton, TX
    Could not agree more about the dirt. However, EPA concerns with dirt are real and there. I for one choose not to ever enlist their assistance in disposing of dirt that has been contaminated with lead etc! I have a couple of buddies that have emptied the dirt from their ranges and replaced it with the rubber crumbs and they are working great. Rubber crumbs are pieces of rubber tires that have been shredded into pieces of whatever size you choose. I hand scooped every one of 4K pounds of rubber crumbs and I can tell you there are darn few if any pieces of metal scrap after the shredding process. Even fewer now after I hand dipped them. I do not have any fear of a fire from the bullets being fired into the crumbs. The flash point for the rubber crumbs is well over 600 degrees F and I do not think the crumbs will ever get that level of heat from what is being fired into them. In fact, all the research I did prior to constructing it showed the heat in the rubber crumb mix to be in the 300 degree F range from the bullets being fired into them and that was only at the point of impact for a very short period of time. That is more than double the flash point so I am not really that concerned.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    We've caught wood on fire before with rifle rounds, which has a similar flash point, but that was using steel plates in front of it. Just be careful of what you shoot.

big_bad_kitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Denton, TX
    Agreed. No tracers, no rifles and nothing bigger than a 45ACP. I think it will hold up to that with no problems. However, it is away from my house and the water supply is within ten feet. That was by design!

big_bad_kitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Denton, TX
    As long as you own it and don't want to sell it there is nothing wrong with using dirt. If you want to sell it or there is runoff to a neighbor's property and anyone complains, it can get really ugly really quick. I just choose to not shoot into dirt and have the problem down the road. Personal choice and each to their own. I know several ranges in our neck of the woods that are still using dirt. It is cheap, very effective and fairly easy to repair or replace. Until and I stress until you want to sell your property and someone discovers it has been used for a firing range and the dirt is full of lead contaminants there should be no problem. Just something to think about is all.

Top Bottom