• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Spoke with the Hicks family today and it was agreed that we have outgrown the range in its current condition and need to search for a new venue. The Hicks have been great to us, and us to them. But we've known for a while that this day might eventually come. It's here.

PLEASE USE THIS THREAD ONLY TO SUGGEST NEW RANGE!! We need to keep this on topic so we can move quickly to have our event ready for October. We prefer to have a place that will be safe, allow NFA items, big calibers including 50cal, adequate bathroom facilities, adequate berms, adequate RSOs, adequate parking, ability to fly drones, and a place to meet/greet/eat. We can negotiate on some of these terms. If someone knows someone with some private land that might want to host an event like this, let us know or contact me via PM. Serious suggestions only, we don't have time to play.

We will leave this thread open for a week or so, until we feel we have received enough good choices to move forward. We will keep our current dates, first Saturday's in April and October.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The change of venue is a reasonable thing and I hope no one gets upset about it. Frankly, it's been coming for a while.

If someone knows someone with some private land that might want to host an event like this, let us know or contact me via PM.

Personally, I'm hoping this is what comes to pass. The idea of spending some time in a box canyon in the Hill Country seems uniquely suited to our group. My fingers are crossed that someone has a relative... :)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yep, nothing wrong with a private location.

This has been discussed quite a bit and as Scott said, it's time to find a new home for our meets. Looking forward to hearing everyone's suggestions and as mentioned, please try to stay on topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    How many people usually show up to this thing? I might know a guy...
    Scott will have authoritative numbers but I seem to remember 60-ish being the smallest crowd in the last couple of years.

Now Scott can help me diagnose the extent to which my memory has faded away. :)

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The smallest I remember in the last couple years was about 35-30 in the fall. The biggest, well over 60 in the spring.

We discussed this a while back when they were closed for a while. At the time, Shiney Top was agreeable but Herb has since passed. If there is nothing better, I would be more than happy to help and talk to them. Scott and a few others have been there. If interested, I can arrange for pics to be posted in the next couple days.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    When we blew up cars, 120 people was the biggest I saw. Now is guess Ben is right- high end will be 60-80. Most likely number would be 40-60.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I would like to add for any members that haven't attended a meet with us.

We are a very safe group. We watch our own. If there are any safety concerns spotted we are on it.

We are not there to shoot up the trees. We will stay in the designated areas and keep our shots on target.

We will pick up our brass/ targets/ trash and leave the place better than we found it. We can also come in before the meet and help prepare and lay down rules with the owner so everyone leaves with a smile on their face.

We are looking for a long term location to hold our big meets and we conduct ourselves accordingly. No drinking or any other questionable activities will be tolerated from our group.

Most of you know how the meets go and how fun they are. If you have a suitable location please help us out.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I refuse to believe that.

What could we do to make Hicksville work. RSO's? Maintenance? Order?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    If we're keeping this in the central Texas region, we're kind of limited. I'm talking about Liberty Hill to South Waco simply because that's the ranges I know of.
    Lone Star and Astro on 183, Just Glocks in Copperas Cove, and Mountain Creek Range on 195 south of Killeen are all too small. I really like the feel of Shiny Top Ranch, but I'm afraid with how spread out it is, people would be hard to get together. Webers in Waco has a reputation for having range nazis. Best of the West is a good size, but you have to rent out bays.

If we stay in the local area around Fort Hood, Texas Star Shooting Range seems to be the only range option. I have more info on it I can share when I get home in a few hours.

Anybody know about the ranges around Georgetown or Austin?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    They have smooth rules.

http://www.texasstarshootingrange.com/home/range_rules

Not a bad looking place.

DSCN2157.JPG

IMG_1000.jpg

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Other people to ask/talk to about a venue:
    - Civil War Reenactors
    - Historic Artillery people/groups
    - Military museums that have arty/tanks

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Centralized would be best, I'm sure. But are there locales that are just not acceptable?

I have a good friend and hunting buddy who is trying to put in a public range outside of Tolar, Texas.
    Its on land next to his gun-smithing shop.
    He has some medical drama going on right now and I don't think anything will be ready by October.
    But there very well could be something cobbled together by next spring.

Just throwing that out there.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Centralized would be best, I'm sure. But are there locales that are just not acceptable?

I have a good friend and hunting buddy who is trying to put in a public range outside of Tolar, Texas.
    Its on land next to his gun-smithing shop.
    He has some medical drama going on right now and I don't think anything will be ready by October.
    But there very well could be something cobbled together by next spring.

Just throwing that out there.

We are trying to keep it central, but something's are worth traveling for.

Nothing is going to be passed up without taking a look and something like this is a great possibility.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I suspect there are a number of us who would gladly help with whatever work he might need to get it into shape. Might be a big win-win.

Top Bottom