• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shellyh1971

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    crosby tx
    i just wanted to say Howdy and introduce myself.

Im Shelly (obviously) I am in my late 30's and have just recently purchased my 1st handgun. A S&W 38 special.. I love it.

I am currently in the waiting phase of receiving my CHL from the state. im not real experienced with guns of any type, but am eager to learn about all types.

i have never been one to really consider arming myself, even though I do watch the news and read the paper..I was one of those that thought It wouldnt happen to me. I thought i played it pretty safe, and tried to keep myself out of situations and areas where I wold be put in danger... Boy was I wrong!!! I travel to alot of rodeos with my 14 year old daughter, I always use well lit areas to stop in.. but one day, There was construction, and I got turned around and ended up on the south side of Dallas's business distric.. low on fuel.. Had no choice but to pull into a less than inviting station.. Crack heads and junkies galore!!!! Pay at the pump didnt work, so I had to go in... Tough decesion.. Take daughter with me or leave her in truck ready to dial 911.... chose to have her wait in truck.. when i came out, thugs were trying to approach me, asking for money.... to pet my horses.. for a ride, you name it.... I got spooked, but tried to not let them see it.. We ended up getting away safely, but i realized next time I may not be so lucky...

So there you have it... I went through the class, and bought my 1st gun. I have a man at the gun shop that is working with me and has taken me to the gun range he is a member of to practice and get comfortable with my gun. ( i soooo appreciate him) He has taught me the proper way to clean, store and handle my gun. I am now confident that should I ever get in a life or death situation... I will be able to protect my daughter and myself.
    Guns International

shellyh1971

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    crosby tx
    Hi Robin.. Yea, It was pretty scarey, I guess i was more nieve than i thought... It got worse than what I wrote... but you get the idea. I stumbled across this site because i was looking for clarification on where i can keep my gun while im driving... while waiting on my license. And I just cant seem to get off here... Theres so much useful information on here..

Thanks for the welcome!!!

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    Your welcome, I'm trting to get my daughter interested in shooting pistols and I told her I would pay for the CHL. Heck she doesn't know it yet but if does like it I have a Glock 19 with night sights, a range bag the whole nine yards for her.

shellyh1971

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    crosby tx
    WooHoo... Go mom!!!!! Wanna adopt me???

Hey I tell ya what since my experience, I cant believe I waited this long... sooo much could have happened, I wont ever allow myself to be put in that situation unarmed again. In this day and time, I think every honest American citizen needs to be prepared, but especially a girl...

Keep on her... let her read my story... I know mines mild compared to many others, but you never know......

Good luck

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    welcome aboard.

always good to see a fresh face, especially one with a story for an intoductory post!

shellyh1971

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    crosby tx
    thanks for the welcomes Wolf and Coug... I just discovered this site yesterday, and i swear, I am having a hard time pulling myself away.. Theres so much to learn that I had absolutlye no clue about..

Coug.. What part of SE texas

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    oh, my apoligies..... The spelling made me think girl... Sorry about the other too..how old is she now???

Don't fret Shelly. Happens all the time. I get some funny mail sometimes.
    My little girl is now 26. I blinked my eye a couple of times and all of a sudden she is grown up.

shellyh1971

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    crosby tx
    LOL.. Thanks, I should know better than to assume frim spelling alone.... My sisters name is Robyn... I know what you mean about blinking your eyes, my daugter went to bed one night straight as a board and I swear when she woke up, she has transformed into the body of a 25 year old... shes 14.. I just got laid off of my job last friday, so now I can run interferience this summer...she has nothing but boys on her mind... Not that I can stop anything.... But I can dang sure do my best to not allow for any opportunity...

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    bless you are much man in my book

Thanks. Im sure a lot of people would just pass her or him off to the grandparents but I couldn't do it. Felt a little guilty when my Aviation Unit went to Iraq on there 2nd tour and some of my buddies were shot down and killed. Real strange feeling knowing I could have been on some of those birds. I guess God has a plan for us all.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    Welcome aboard, and good for you to want to protect yourself and family where most
    folks, like you said "it cant happen to me" and then its to late .
    Lots of informed folks here so dont be afraid to ask qustions.

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    Hello Shelly welcome not to butt in but you know you dont need a permit to open carry in you house when those "boys" come over to see your daughter

Top Bottom