• ...and so much more!
  • Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I don't get it but it's that time of year again :-(
    We got a nice young man at the door this evening selling (of all things) magazines to "give to the troops". He wanted me to help finance his summer trip to Europe. It's just sad. An athletic highschool age kid who wants to go to Europe is forced to beg door to door and use our servicemen? Or do I have it all wrong?
    Texas SOT

berto40

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Houston
    I think that would be considered working...obviously he's making it sound like a charity case or dontations, but he's walking door to door trying to sell you something. The one's i think are begging are the kids that are put out on the corner of the street in baseball/football uniforms walking around with a bucket so you can toss them some change. What the heck happened to selling barbque plates, or selling candy's, or washing cars, or raking leaves?!?!

GTRich94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    u
    I don't remember where I read it, but a lot of the magazine sales are scams. I get them at my house and it seems like every year, the "magazines" are getting sold for one special reason or another. I've had a few friends that have subscribed over the years, and while they were charged for the magazines, they never received them

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    Highschool age kid begging for money...
    since when did it become socially acceptable for ANYONE to beg for money?? i cant drive thru ANY intersection in Dallas WITHOUT someone standing on a corner asking for FREE money!! they are NOT asking to work for it, they WANT it FREE!!! from church groups, to SUPPOSEDLY Vietnam vets, to Highschool kids to Bums!!! WTF????? HECK even the Red Cross collectors dont even wear Santa suits while trying to get FREE money at christmas!!!

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    It's a pretty common scam for some huckster to hire a group of youngsters with nothing better to do. They travel from place to place 'selling' subscriptions. The worthy cause varies: summer college travel; scholarship prize; for the troops. It's a scam 9 times out of 10. FWIW, the kids at your door are usually getting hustled, too. They are a long way from home before they realize their expenses for food/hotel/drugs come off the top of whatever commission they can earn.

Top Bottom