• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Okay, okay... so it's really a PTR-91. I'm really wanting to stick a nice scope on this tank of a gun. The dream scope would be the Hensoldt Fero, which was specifically built for the G3, but those seem to have dried up. Anyone have any recommendations for an equally combat-worthy scope for a .308, preferably with a bullet drop compensator? I'd prefer it cost less than $450-$500, otherwise I'll just find an old Hensoldt. I know it's a tall order.

I'm not very knowledgeable about scopes, but know enough to avoid the cheap stuff for anything but .22s. I'm all ears, people!
    Target Sports

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    North Richland Hills (DFW)
    I vote a trijicon acog ta11e. Fixed power 3.5x with dual illuminated reticle (fiber optics, and tritium for low light) and bullet drop compensator.

These actually run about a grand new, and used probably at least 7-800. I'm sure others can give you better "cheaper advice", but acogs are the best option for fast target acquisition with medium range battle rifles.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    For something like that, these are brands/models I would AVOID:

-Bushnell
    -Simmons
    -Burris
    -BSA
    -Tasco
    -Leupold Rifleman
    -Leupold QD Manager
    -Leupold VX-I
    -Any other offbrand you've never heard of

Also, I personally wouldn't spend much less than $450-550. When it comes to optics, it does not pay to go cheap. Honestly, I wouldn't overpay for an old Hensoldt. While nice, old optics are old optics. In the last 10-20yrs, there have been a ton of improvements and advancements when it comes to optics, glass coatings, etc. I understand the whole nostalgia aspect, and that's cool too. Just saying, a Hensoldt Fero is like $500-600, and for that price you could get a modern optic that is better in every way, performance, durability, etc. Some good ones to look at:

-Leupold Mark AR series
    -Leupold VX-III series
    -Millet
    -Nikon Monarch
    -Trijicon Accupoint (expensive but, if you can find a good deal on a used one, they are excellent)

Those are all I can think of at the moment.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I put a Aimpoint CompM3 on mine ~ I know there is no magnification but I was amazed on how it improved my accuracy.
    You can always add a magnifier later.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    What type of scope mount are you going to use? Some of the PTR-91's came with a rail on the receiver. Mine did not, and I am using the claw type German mount. It is a bugger to figure out the first time, but it does remount very accurately.
    If you use the claw type mount, the sight line is very high in relation to the bore. You should pick as long of a distance as practical for final sighting.

Personally after much deliberation, I put a holographic sight on it and a front vertical grip. It has become my house defense weapon, because of my paratrooper style stock. A clip full of TAP ammo lets me sleep well at night.

The HK-91 style gear seems to have gone out of vogue, because I rarely see it at gun shows anymore. The claw mounts run anywhere from $50 to $250. Personally, I bought the real HK mount, and am happy with my choice.

I tried a cheap scope on the rifle and was amazed at the accuracy, but the recoil caused the scope to slide down the rail no matter how tight it was.

Good luck, you will enjoy the PTR, I sure do.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    BTW, I would dump the STANAG scope mount and get one of the modern picatinny style mounts. I have heard of issues with the STANAG mounts coming loose (don't know if there is any truth to that), plus they really have that optic high above the bore. With a picatinny rail you can choose how high/low you want it, plus it will give you more mounting options (standard picatinny rings or a single piece quick detach mount).

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    The scope mount I am using has three rails and is as tall as the STANAG. It allows me to use the iron sights if necessary. $1,000 for a scope is pretty out of my range, I'm just a student. Thank you for the recommendations, everyone. I appreciate it!

Top Bottom