• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    I am wanting a semi-auto to go hog hunting. I have three 30 calibers but they're all WWII firearms and I don't want to mod them. One of them is a M44 Mosin carbine, it has a new stock because the original stock was beat to hell... so that could actually be actually option but I would ideally want a semi-auto. I have a AR with a 20in bull barrel but I think .223 is just too small. I've thought about to PTR91 or the FAL. FAL has a drawback on the fact the glass would go on top of the top cover and every time it's cleaned you have to resize sight in. AR 10's are expensive.

What calibers would you recommend and what semi-auto would you recommend?
    Venture Surplus ad

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    .223 will work but too small IMO. AR10 are great but heavy. Consider a 6.8 upper to use with your lower. You'll also need a different mag or just use a regular PMAG with only 5 rounds. 80% of the power of a .308. Hornady's 120 gr SST is an excellent choice for big hogs. 6.5 Grendel is another good choice. .450 & 458 are great choices as well. A lot of people like 300 BO as well. But it's limited in range.

PSA usually has 6.8 that are affordable and good quality. If you decide to build your own upper with a barrel of your choice, consider AR Performace barrels. Very accurate, almost match quality for around $200.

Last edited:

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Or you could use the search function and look at what was said in the multitudes of threads on this very topic.

Exactly what I came here to say. We are happy to help you, but show enough respect to do some reading and learning before asking a question that is so basic that Google could cover it.

While I'm here, if you just want to new gun, get a new gun, but your old guns will work just fine.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    Exactly what I came here to say. We are happy to help you, but show enough respect to do some reading and learning before asking a question that is so basic that Google could cover it.

While I'm here, if you just want to new gun, get a new gun, but your old guns will work just fine.
    I'm just not sure I can hit a hog at 2-300 yards with iron sights.. I can hardly even shoot 100 yards since most ranges don't allow FMJ and most ammo I see is FMJ.. So I don't ever get to see where I'm at accuracy wise at those longer distances.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I'm just not sure I can hit a hog at 2-300 yards with iron sights.. I can hardly even shoot 100 yards since most ranges don't allow FMJ and most ammo I see is FMJ.. So I don't ever get to see where I'm at accuracy wise at those longer distances.

Doubt you'll be shooting many hogs at 2-300 yards. If they're like the hogs around here they pretty much only come out at night, lights or NV out to 300 yards starts to run into money. I hunt from stands overlooking feeders maybe 50-60 yards, gamecams tell me what time they're coming around. There are many threads here on the topic but figure out where/how before you try to figure out which.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    Doubt you'll be shooting many hogs at 2-300 yards. If they're like the hogs around here they pretty much only come out at night, lights or NV out to 300 yards starts to run into money. I hunt from stands overlooking feeders maybe 50-60 yards, gamecams tell me what time they're coming around. There are many threads here on the topic but figure out where/how before you try to figure out which.
    Well obviously you can tell that very never been yet. I have a omega land in Limestone County that has hogs. I've always wanted to hunt them. I'm not sure if we have a stand there. I will do some digging. Thanks.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Ive shot them with all sorts of stuff. I've also killed some without a gun at all. Some platforms and calibers leave more leeway for error that others. Mosin with iron sights should be plenty out to 2-300 if you practice a little.

Why not just get an inexpensive scope for your AR and use some good ammo? 556 is enough if you have good placement.

If you're looking for a fun platform ... I've shot them w/ an SBR'ed 8.5" 300 Blackout AR before. It's a fun platform but I wouldn't take it past 200 myself - based on my abilities with it.

My advice would be to understand at what range you're confident with what you already have and get that close to the hogs. Being close makes for a more fun hunt anyway.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Oh you mean actual rifle calibers.

Pretty much any center fire caliber will do.
    Real Men use an M-1 Garand. With bayonet. HA!

I thought you were talking about the kind of hogs Glockster69 likes to hunt down at the Dew Drop Inn.
    He uses a thick wallet.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    Oh you mean actual rifle calibers.

Pretty much any center fire caliber will do.
    Real Men use an M-1 Garand. With bayonet. HA!

I thought you were talking about the kind of hogs Glockster69 likes to hunt down at the Dew Drop Inn.
    He uses a thick wallet.
    Well I'm pretty sure I would rather not get that close to a big ol' hog!

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    you want a large caliber semi auto that won't break the bank or your back?
    Remington 742 in 30-06
    you can buy them all day for under $300 and they are good rifles

now it won't be tacticool but it'll get the job done

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Nuke 'em from orbit, just to be sure.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I am wanting a semi-auto to go hog hunting. I have three 30 calibers but they're all WWII firearms and I don't want to mod them. One of them is a M44 Mosin carbine, it has a new stock because the original stock was beat to hell... so that could actually be actually option but I would ideally want a semi-auto. I have a AR with a 20in bull barrel but I think .223 is just too small. I've thought about to PTR91 or the FAL. FAL has a drawback on the fact the glass would go on top of the top cover and every time it's cleaned you have to resize sight in. AR 10's are expensive.

What calibers would you recommend and what semi-auto would you recommend?

DPMS type AR10's used to be expensive. PSA has pushed that market much lower by swamping it with low QC DPMS type class parts kits and complete rifles. Buyer beware if you get into that market.

This has in turn forced others in this market to come up with either new products or lower their prices to compete. ARmalite came out with their "Defensive" or "Defense" line of products which is just their Eagle Arms products relabeled. That last statement is a good guess at what they have done since I do not have direct knowledge that it is true but it is easy to see that it matches up.

They have a DefAR-10 for $999 which is an extremely nice ARmalite rifle with a smudge on the finish. The warranty is lowered to one year.

Everything else you're considering is a fixed cost past the cost of the rifle itself so what you add to your rig is on you. So what are we talking here? With the cost of the entire rig and gear the cost of stepping up to a AR-10 is minimal.

FWIW I have used many hunting bullets over the years (Deer hunting only) and have found the Winchester Ballistic Tip 168gr to be the best. How that will work on a hog I do not know but it will drop a deer where it stands.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Nate C

I recommend a lever-action in 30-30 or 35 Remington.

Out to 100 yards

Traditionally, yes. All that has changed since the introduction of Hornady LEVERevolution ammunition. http://www.hornady.com/store/leverevolution

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Nate C

Traditionally, yes. All that has changed since the introduction of Hornady LEVERevolution ammunition. http://www.hornady.com/store/leverevolution

Ive seen those when they came out. The poly tip wont set a primer off so they can have a better baliistic shape to the bullet over the older traditional blunt tip that was designed for tube magazines

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Winchester made a clone of the FNAR a few years ago. You can find those at $600 - $800. Its a SA rifle in 308.

I have the original FNAR, and its a nice, accurate gun. Put some good glass on it, and you have a pig rifle from 50 to 400 yards.

Top Bottom