Join TexasGunTalk

hog hunting rifle

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by awmp, Jun 22, 2008.

1. awmp

awmp New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Travel every now and then to father in laws ranch. Last time I was there I had my pistol with me (XD45 Service) and we came across some hogs, not little ones, Texas hogs, I know my .45 was not close to the right pistol, but I was wondering on my next trip if my Marlin .357 mag rifle would work with the right ammo?
    Ammo ideas?
    Don't worry father in law had a .243 browning, lol.

2. hoytinak

hoytinak Active Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Yes the .357 will work great, I've used one quite a bit with good results. Use any heavy (158-180gr) JHP or hardcase bullet and it'll get the job done with ease.

3. BIG7636

BIG7636 New Member

Jun 24, 2008
    FT WORTH , TEXAS
    500 SW:rolleyes:

4. Roadkill Bill

Roadkill Bill New Member

For hogs I'd sure like something that started with a 4, but a .357 will do the job. I would use a good hard cast bullet - something with a lot of penetration. Remember, a hog's heart isn't located the same place it is on a deer. You need to go through the shoulder, not right behind it. Or else right below the ear.

5. T3hk1w1

T3hk1w1 New Member

Jun 27, 2008
    I use a 444 Marlin personally, but 357 Mag would work. I think that in close quarters a 44 Mag or 45 Colt would be better, though.

6. drj3828

drj3828 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    Heck I have kilt em with a 16oz claw hammer before! They where in a trap of course. I have also used a 22lr pistol also.
    Heck any thing will really work it is shot placement that counts.
    I once shot one with my AR and took the top of it's head off and it ran around for awhile with no brain in its head. They are just one tough animal.
    DRJ

7. kville79

kville79 Active Member

May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I personally like taking my Mosin Nagant hunting... if I find something it can't take down... well I should have been running in the first place.

8. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Below is a great page for weapon/ammo choice plus best kill zone for hogs. Hopefully you have time to scroll down and read it all.
    http://www.texasboars.com/hunting/huntingtips.html

Also, click on 'tactics & tips', then 'hunting', then kill zone anatomy. There is some great info there too.

Hog hunting can be a lot of fun. Good luck!

9. sig luv3r

sig luv3r New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Allen, Texas
    just go out and buy a DPMS LR-308 AP-4 you should be good to go with a 20rnd mag if you can use that capacity