hog hunting rifle

awmp

Jun 15, 2008
Travel every now and then to father in laws ranch. Last time I was there I had my pistol with me (XD45 Service) and we came across some hogs, not little ones, Texas hogs, I know my .45 was not close to the right pistol, but I was wondering on my next trip if my Marlin .357 mag rifle would work with the right ammo?
Ammo ideas?
Don't worry father in law had a .243 browning, lol.

hoytinak

Mar 5, 2008
Texas of course
Yes the .357 will work great, I've used one quite a bit with good results. Use any heavy (158-180gr) JHP or hardcase bullet and it'll get the job done with ease.

For hogs I'd sure like something that started with a 4, but a .357 will do the job. I would use a good hard cast bullet - something with a lot of penetration. Remember, a hog's heart isn't located the same place it is on a deer. You need to go through the shoulder, not right behind it. Or else right below the ear.

T3hk1w1

Jun 27, 2008
I use a 444 Marlin personally, but 357 Mag would work. I think that in close quarters a 44 Mag or 45 Colt would be better, though.

drj3828

Mar 4, 2008
Grimes County, TX
Heck I have kilt em with a 16oz claw hammer before! They where in a trap of course. I have also used a 22lr pistol also.
Heck any thing will really work it is shot placement that counts.
I once shot one with my AR and took the top of it's head off and it ran around for awhile with no brain in its head. They are just one tough animal.
DRJ

kville79

May 24, 2008
Austin
I personally like taking my Mosin Nagant hunting... if I find something it can't take down... well I should have been running in the first place.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Forum statistics

Threads