• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I have been managing and hunting a property for nearly 6 years now. When I first started, the hogs would come out in the daytime. But since I would...shoot them. They have since been nocturnal. It’s literally once in a blue moon they’ll be at the feeder in the day, usually after a hard cold front.
    I don’t hunt them very often, there’s not a huge population out here ( atascosa county) It’s just brush and pasture, none of the neighbors grow any crops
    It baffles me how for 6 years they can keep it up. I realize they’re smart creatures. I have a trap that sits open because they got wise to it
    Even in the height of winter, only feeds at night
    I actually shot one last night, first since July
    Any tips or tricks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I've had a few sounders come in as late as 9am
    Most of the time its dark thirty

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Where do these bassids hide during the day. We have signs of feral hogs on the property, about 125 acres. BIL and I have searched all over the property during the day, but never see one.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Where do these bassids hide during the day. We have signs of feral hogs on the property, about 125 acres. BIL and I have searched all over the property during the day, but never see one.
    I think that's going to vary from sounder to sounder, and the topology of the immediate area. In the summer, they're going to want deep shade/water/mud during the day- but they're smart and the only way to be sure would be to tag one with a tracking device.

Kingarthur777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2018
    Livingston
    Only time I hunted hogs were at night. They can't see green light. Mainly, because someone asked to hunt his land because they were rooting it up. I don't eat them, but the guy I was with did.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Only time I hunted hogs were at night. They can't see green light. Mainly, because someone asked to hunt his land because they were rooting it up. I don't eat them, but the guy I was with did.

First hog I ever shot was on a Easter weekend. It was a greasy sow that was skinny from nursing. .30-06 to the spine.
    I threw the meat out because while cooking, the kitchen wreaked of a urine smell. Didn’t eat one for the longest time after that. I just drug them under a bush. A few years later I cut out the tenders and straps and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Been a cautious believer ever since. I avoid eating giant boars or nursing sows

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Even in the height of winter, only feeds at night
    I actually shot one last night, first since July
    Any tips or tricks?

People seem to think that hogs have gone nocturnal because we primarily hunted them in the day time. Maybe it is true. However, I know that night pressure does not drive them back to being diurnal.

While I know deer hunters like to run feeders just before dawn and just before dusk, I would suggest that if you are using feeders to ONLY run them after daylight in the mornings. Do NOT evening feed. You want as little corn/feed left on the ground after dark. If they are going to show up to eat, then it should be during the day time. This will help, somewhat.

Otherwise, use feeder lights and carefully use red or green lights with night hunting. While lights seem to startle hogs more, but you can startle them with colored lights as well. What seems to bother the hogs most is quickly seeing their shadows appear and/or moving around. Turn on your light while pointed well above the hogs and slowly lower the light down to illuminate the hogs. Then don't stop and admire what a great group of hogs you have. Pick a target quickly and shoot it precisely.

Only time I hunted hogs were at night. They can't see green light.

Actually, they see green light just fine. They also see red light. The issue is that they can't distinguish between the two. They see the light, but not necessarily the color of the light. They are red-green color blind, not blind blind.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I’m working on a review of Wicked Hunting Lights. Hopefully have it up in a day or two but it may be your cost effective answer to night hunting.

After using red and green lights I find green provides a little better contrast against dark animals like hogs.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Only desiginated hog hunt I ever been on near Crowell they seemed about as wily and skittish as white tail deer. Fortuantely we had a fellow in a small airplane who circled around till he found a small herd and then did some tight circles to guide the fearless sportsmen walk over and get a shot. The guy next to me shot a small one..about 30 lbs or so. Figgered it would be passable eating. They generally aint very platable and about as skinny as a mal nourished gray hound. Best eating ones I ever got were small ones which had been trapped alive and feed out for 30 days and given a sanitary semi professional butchering. Fellow up on the Red River near Waurika, Okiehoma made a good living selling those.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I’m working on a review of Wicked Hunting Lights. Hopefully have it up in a day or two but it may be your cost effective answer to night hunting.

After using red and green lights I find green provides a little better contrast against dark animals like hogs.

I use wildgame innovation motion sensored feeder lights. Green

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I will take what doublenaughtspy says as gospel
    He has proof he knows what he is doing

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    People seem to think that hogs have gone nocturnal because we primarily hunted them in the day time. Maybe it is true. However, I know that night pressure does not drive them back to being diurnal.

While I know deer hunters like to run feeders just before dawn and just before dusk, I would suggest that if you are using feeders to ONLY run them after daylight in the mornings. Do NOT evening feed. You want as little corn/feed left on the ground after dark. If they are going to show up to eat, then it should be during the day time. This will help, somewhat.

Otherwise, use feeder lights and carefully use red or green lights with night hunting. While lights seem to startle hogs more, but you can startle them with colored lights as well. What seems to bother the hogs most is quickly seeing their shadows appear and/or moving around. Turn on your light while pointed well above the hogs and slowly lower the light down to illuminate the hogs. Then don't stop and admire what a great group of hogs you have. Pick a target quickly and shoot it precisely.

Actually, they see green light just fine. They also see red light. The issue is that they can't distinguish between the two. They see the light, but not necessarily the color of the light. They are red-green color blind, not blind blind.
    While on leopard bait in Africa it was common to have lights on dimmer switches. Hell some guys even have listening devices to alert them when leopards are on bait. One night we could hear the leopard but never seen it, and this was using PVS-14's!

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    While on leopard bait in Africa it was common to have lights on dimmer switches. Hell some guys even have listening devices to alert them when leopards are on bait. One night we could hear the leopard but never seen it, and this was using PVS-14's!

One of the shortcomings of using night vision is the camouflage still works.:(

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Hogs are surprisingly smart. They will change areas or feeding times to avoid trouble. I was watching a video of some professional pig trappers and it was fascinating to see how the old boars would figure out something wasn't right and refuse to enter the trap.

Top Bottom