• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Going to get really cold Sunday - Wednesday. Cold enough some wind turbines will be shutting down due to low ambient temperature alarms. If we get precip, solar will die and wind turbine blades will probably ice up (thus dropping production to little or none).

Might want to have some firewood ready.
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    I will trim a couple more trees for firewood Saturday! The trimming needs to be done anyway. There's only bitter cold--no ice--in the forecast last I looked. There will be a lot of talk about high wholesale prices. The ERCOT market is designed with scarcity pricing rather than capacity. Thus a small number of hours are supposed to provide attractive enough pricing to attract new generation. We will see if sufficient new generation has come online.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I will trim a couple more trees for firewood Saturday! The trimming needs to be done anyway. There's only bitter cold--no ice--in the forecast last I looked. There will be a lot of talk about high wholesale prices. The ERCOT market is designed with scarcity pricing rather than capacity. Thus a small number of hours are supposed to provide attractive enough pricing to attract new generation. We will see if sufficient new generation has come online.
    The issue is more how much of the existing generation will actually be able to generate.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Going to get really cold Sunday - Wednesday. Cold enough some wind turbines will be shutting down due to low ambient temperature alarms. If we get precip, solar will die and wind turbine blades will probably ice up (thus dropping production to little or none).

Might want to have some firewood ready.
    I'm not seeing any precip expected (in Austin) so we here shouldnt have any icing problems on electrical distribution hardware or ice on the roads crashing folks.

I am going to top off my propane tanks today or tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I'm not seeing any precip expected (in Austin) so we here shouldnt have any icing problems on electrical distribution hardware or ice on the roads crashing folks.

They're predicting up to an eighth of an inch of ice and up to an inch of snow up here. Gonna be messy.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Ice out west and in the panhandle will shut down wind generation. You may not have electrical distribution hardware issues, but those lines won't have any electrons in them.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics