• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crisp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Austin
    hey guys,

newbie here. i'm currently selling a rock crawler buggy (1988 Suzuki Samurai Rock Crawler Buggy) and a guy offered a "Holland Gunworks" HGW AR-15 as a partial trade. This brand, of course, wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm considering it. There isn't much info online. Looks like they were founded in 2005 then bought out in 2006 by The Arms Room in League City. They use Mega uppers/lowers and all american parts. I've seen good reviews on Mega, but mixed on The Arms Room (customer service and prices).

Does anyone out there have any additional info on their ARs? How is their gunsmithing?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I dealt with Doug Holland many times and he built a number of uppers and lowers for me. About the time Doug was getting his own lowers started with a logo he designed, his wife ended up pregnant with their second child and she pressured him into selling the business. His place of business was near the Walmart in Kemah or League City. The Arms Room is a gun shop in League City that bought the Holland name and stock. I've only dealt with them once. The folks are OK and friendly. They always used quality parts and did good work. What else do you need to know?

Flash

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    AR15s are AR15s the world over. As long as the parts are of known good quality the overall build will be good. There's only a few things that someone who builds AR15s has to do to add quality over that which is already built in. Like making sure the gas key is staked properly and the castle nut on the buttstock is staked.

Even ARs which don't have the best quality parts still run and many people have not had problems with them.

crisp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Austin
    yeah, thats what i'm starting to figure out. didn't know if anyone had any experience with the quality of their parts really (outside the Mega stuff - of which i can find good reviews online).

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    When Doug ran the business, he bought parts from major sources. His lowers were made by a major manufacturer and he had the Holland Logo put on them. He did not like the Double Star lowers but he seemed to be OK with most others. It's all pretty much CNC produced and quality is standardized. As I posted previously, the Arms locker took over and I only dealt with them once after that so I couldn't swear to the "post Holland" ownership. I've met them, went to the store and they seemed like nice folks.

In my experience having used a ton of uppers, lowers and AR parts, the only lowers that could be called "truly different" are the Plum Crazy polymer units and the Sun Devil lowers which are machined out of a solid billet of aluminum. The Sun Devils are very different in feel, thickness and, I think, quality. I have never personally USED a Plum Crazy lower but I've messed with a few of them. I have built and used a Sun Devil lower. I never noted a dimes worth of difference in upper housings at all.

Flash

Top Bottom