• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • codeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    TX
    I think he's looking at enough charges to end up someone's girlfriend in prison. I just hope the officer is ok. A strong blow to the eye can cause major damage.

TexasR.N.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    Watching that POS nail the cop in the face infuriated me.

On a side note, one news report on TV this morning said the cop was tryin to taze the POS. In the video it looks like the cop has one cuff on him and holding on to the other side. If he did discharge the tazer would it shock the cop as well?

To the LEO's reading this, I know y'all do some take downs and such, but are any of y'all into MMA or another form of martial arts? I ask this because just working in the ER I am. I had a "uncomfortable experience" with a drunk family member in one of the ER rooms. I am waiting for a few things to wrap up so I have time to dedicate to which ever form I choose.

Craig

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I was talking with a LEO buddy of mine and he was telling me that most departments are moving towards the "thinking" aspects of diffusing hostile situations and spending less time teaching officers how to mix it up a bit. Another guy on TV made a good case as well, he says the less you teach an LEO about fighting the more danger you put them in, some of these young guys go through life and have never been in an altercation or dealt with the uglier side of the tracks and end up getting their asses kicked, using deadly force when it isn’t warranted, or worse and getting them selves killed. I did grow up in a lower middle-class family so I learned pretty quickly that you have to take an a$$ whooping before you can give one. Some of the more “privileged” guys, I use that term loosely, don’t learn this lesson and if the department fails them, thing can get very bad very quickly! Just my two cents.

SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    As a former, (I left the department in 1993), LEO I can state that most departments leave your training for such things up to you and your back-up. Small departments cannot afford to properly train their officers in self-defense because it's not something that one learns in a weekend or even a month. As a result, I studied what was called Ryukyu Kempo back in the day before that thief George Dillman stole master Oyata's techniques and master Oyata discovered the legal processes of copyright and trademark and then changed the name to Ryu Te. This style of self defense is predominately made up of nerve strikes (Kyusho-jitsu) and wrist grappling (Tuite-jitsu), which comes in very handy for officers who want to control a subject without doing any long-term damage or bone-breaking.

Don't get me wrong, MMA is certainly great, but "ground-n-pound" is not something you really want to do on the side of the road. Just MHO.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Quote(I did grow up in a lower middle-class family so I learned pretty quickly that you have to take an a$$ whooping before you can give one. Some of the more “privileged” guys, I use that term loosely, don’t learn this lesson and if the department fails them, thing can get very bad very quickly! Just my two cents. )quote

I grew up in a time when it was consider normal for boys to fight in school and also hunting using firearms was common, very different times now so it must be taught.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    I was talking with a LEO buddy of mine and he was telling me that most departments are moving towards the "thinking" aspects of diffusing hostile situations and spending less time teaching officers how to mix it up a bit.

I wish that were more the case than it is in TX. And I don't mean in lieu of the physical aspects of training, but in addition to. A lot of these types of unfortunate incidents that you see in the news could have been avoided with a little common sense and thought by the officer. We all know the perps are going to be dumbasses, so it would behoove the LEOs to outthink them a bit instead of immediately escalating to a physical confrontation. Physical confrontations are always going to happen though, and there's no substitute for good training.

As a former, (I left the department in 1993), LEO I can state that most departments leave your training for such things up to you and your back-up. Small departments cannot afford to properly train their officers in self-defense because it's not something that one learns in a weekend or even a month. As a result, I studied what was called Ryukyu Kempo back in the day before that thief George Dillman stole master Oyata's techniques and master Oyata discovered the legal processes of copyright and trademark and then changed the name to Ryu Te. This style of self defense is predominately made up of nerve strikes (Kyusho-jitsu) and wrist grappling (Tuite-jitsu), which comes in very handy for officers who want to control a subject without doing any long-term damage or bone-breaking.

Don't get me wrong, MMA is certainly great, but "ground-n-pound" is not something you really want to do on the side of the road. Just MHO.

+1. MMA is all the rage, but it's not really the best discipline for LEOs, IMO. You're better of learning an avoidance discipline like small circle ju jitsu, aikido, judo, etc. Wrist locks and arm bars are incredible weapons when dealing with an unruly perp. I also recommend arnis/escrima for stick work. The take-downs, disarms, and weapon defense mesh nicely with the aforementioned disciplines.

Oh, and on the funding of training, I'd love to see some of our social programs cut back and see more funding funneled toward law enforcement for better training.

SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    The pu$$ification of the country is certainly on a full-court press, but one cannot exclude the fact that the officer didn't look like he was in that great of shape. Since there's no audio we have no idea of what was said, but I was taught to use psychology on people to control them. It didn't hurt being 6'4" and 250 lbs either. This is why in 5.5 years as a police officer I never had to strike anyone in my custody including hardened criminals.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Watching that POS nail the cop in the face infuriated me.

On a side note, one news report on TV this morning said the cop was tryin to taze the POS. In the video it looks like the cop has one cuff on him and holding on to the other side. If he did discharge the tazer would it shock the cop as well?

To the LEO's reading this, I know y'all do some take downs and such, but are any of y'all into MMA or another form of martial arts? I ask this because just working in the ER I am. I had a "uncomfortable experience" with a drunk family member in one of the ER rooms. I am waiting for a few things to wrap up so I have time to dedicate to which ever form I choose.

Craig

You absolutely CAN tase someone while in physical contact with them. IF you touch them between the probes, you will get some of the juice, but the voltage travels through the body not across the body. It is not like a defibrillator. The TASER uses less than 10% of the energy a defibrillator uses.

Grapling and ground fighting are not taught enough in most LE agencies (IMHO). PPCT and Aikido do give some valuable skills, but there are some down and dirty street fighters out there that will beat your head into the pavement until your brains leak out.

Top Bottom