Venture Surplus ad

Home Defense - How much is TOO much...or NOT ENOUGH?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    00 buck in the Mossberg 500 with TLR-1 and Meprolight bead by the bed. Speer 124+P GDHPs in 9mm semi-autos with night sights and / or lasers in both nightstands. cell phones, keys, and handheld tactical flashlights on both nightstands. I do not keep the ARs loaded for home defense, but they are in our safe room and easily put into service if it should come to that.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    Sometimes its not your choice of weapons, but how fast you can get to it.

View attachment 4286

I thought I might better edit this post befor it gets out of hand.. This is not me. I thought it fit this thread.

I have two pistols I use. Both are easy to get at if I need to. I hope I never "need" to.

Travis

What, no claymore defensive line?

Fun picture, and yep, that's the TOO MUCH threshold right there. That guy has crossed the line from mild paranioa to major fear and loathing...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    I have a Mossberg 88 Maverick, loaded with alternating buckshot and slugs...with a tactical sleeve holding five more shells, also alternating with buckshot and slugs.

In the event I need something quickly, my S&W 60 is loaded with .357 on my nightstand.

...of course, that's if an intruder can get through my barred bedroom door, multiple door locks and deadbolts, and other obstacles to prevent them from reaching me.

I don't fool around, and I don't think it's overkill. I'd rather be overprotected than underprotected.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think, for at least most cases (not necessarily all, remember that guy Murphy lol), having 3 defensive firearm options for home defense would be pretty efficient and effective. A handgun, rifle, and shotgun. All would be loaded, readily accessible and right next to the bed with extra ammo sources attached. All 3 would have weapon lights, but a mid-sized hand held flash light would also be nearby, because it's just good to have that option....at least that's what Murphy keeps telling me. The long guns would have single point slings and probably red dots. The handgun would have a first line belt rig with extra mag pouches (filled), holster, maybe even an extra flashlight on it, etc. I could keep going on even about just 3 guns. It's also good to consider having a low profile plate carrier nearby that you could don and have some ballistic protection. Hey if it saves you a prolonged stay in the hospital or a trip to the morgue, the few hundred bucks for some body armor is well worth it. I figure the handgun is the go to for most situations, AR15 is next for more serious situations (you hear multiple people surrounding your house, all armed, etc), shotgun is next for arming a family member or someone else. It's also good to consider other supporting gear, such as keeping some electronic earpro right next to your bed with your defensive gear. That's something people often overlook, but hey if you have that split second to throw them on, save your hearing, and possibly be able to hear a bit better and get the drop on an intruder, that's value added. Suppressors and/or suppressors with earpro are some good things to consider as well.

On another note, considering the way your house is constructed, and modifying it appropriately gets overlooked quite a bit too. I see plenty of people that pay that extra money, when buying a house, to get things like an attractive-looking front door with a large window that has etched designs in it and such. While it may not look as attractive, how about spending that extra money on a door with no window, a peep hole, and that is made out of a much more solid material? If you make it look easy, criminals will be attracted to it like flies on sh*t. Your house can look good while still looking like Fort Knox and ceasing to be a candidate for the average criminal. Deterrence is the best defense.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    We've got the purty leaded glass front door...with keyed deadbolt on the interior. Did I mention it sits by the office - the one w/the 12 gauge in the corner, .45 in the desk drawer - and a redneck sittin' in the chair?<G>

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    ohhh man is that a 1919 .308 BFMG?
    holy crap.
    F/A? or a semi version?
    and, can you run it by yourself? IIRC that is a team operated gun...

Yeppirs...S/A, though - I ain't got 'nuff $$$ fer the F/A!

You CAN run it solo - but it's more fun ta have a grunt along ta do the heavy work.<G>

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Yeppirs...S/A, though - I ain't got 'nuff $$$ fer the F/A!

You CAN run it solo - but it's more fun ta have a grunt along ta do the heavy work.<G>

that is to freakin cool.

all ya need is a swivel mount, and a side car for your bike!
    better yet, two sidecars, one facing froward and one facing backward haha

Top Bottom