• ...and so much more!
  • stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    We’re kicking it around too.

as a couple we were both home schooled. Me 3-8 grade. My wife basically k-12.

We’re doing fine.

There are conventions home school associations coops etc. I’d strongly recommend getting involved with. As an educator you’ll need the support and resource pool.

I have very strong opinions about education in general. And quite frankly I just don’t want the gubbermint indoctrinating my kids.

I have many many friends who are professional educators. And I’ve heard horrible horrible stories, this is the “mission field” of kook Democrats. You can’t believe the gobblity gook the left believes unless you erode cognitive thought at an early age. And they’re waiting for you kids at a government funded school right around the corner.

This is the 2018 “teacher of the year”

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...r-shares-speech-trump-wouldnt-let-her-read-to

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    We homeschool our four; 7, 5, 4 and 3. My wife was home schooled using the curriculum you mentioned and we have steered clear of it with our kids. We have used a lot of hooked on phonics and recently started Explode the Code for kiddo #2. Seems to be worky phenomenally well. We also bought an abacus for math, helps to visualize things. My wife also used little tricks as they were very young for counting. Want goldfish a snack? You get as many as you can correctly count! Heck of an incentive. We also joined a coop at our church so once a week they all get together and have classes, different parents teach different classes.

As far as socializing, they are very out going and not at all like the perception of homeschooled kids. Very polite and obedient though.

cdb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Livingston, TX
    Story of the World

We use that too for history, it's a good series. I don't totally agree with the way the present everything, but that's not so bad since it sparks a lot of discussions.

In case it's useful to anyone, we've had good success with the Life of Fred series of books for math (along with Montessori).

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think I did a poor job of making my point.
    Roadrunner agreed with you that homeschooling is great if done right, which led me to think he was making a point about homeschooling rarely being done right. So my point was to put both into the equation and to make basically the same point you did about government /public schools.

My kids haven’t been offered illegal drugs in home school, have not been indoctrinated in some enviro/religion or taught false historic narratives about this country or the world, or abused in any way, but I see this every week in this town.
    I lost count of how many teachers have been busted having sexual relationships with school kids right here in our school district.

My kids are well rounded, thinking, aware, young adults.
    Hell yes I am biased.
    I’ve seen the results of government education and I’m not impressed
    And that's the kinda crap i'm talking about!

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We homeschool our four; 7, 5, 4 and 3. My wife was home schooled using the curriculum you mentioned and we have steered clear of it with our kids. We have used a lot of hooked on phonics and recently started Explode the Code for kiddo #2. Seems to be worky phenomenally well. We also bought an abacus for math, helps to visualize things. My wife also used little tricks as they were very young for counting. Want goldfish a snack? You get as many as you can correctly count! Heck of an incentive. We also joined a coop at our church so once a week they all get together and have classes, different parents teach different classes.

As far as socializing, they are very out going and not at all like the perception of homeschooled kids. Very polite and obedient though.
    Wow... I thought my house was a zoo.. sounds like ya'll have some good times!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    The home school parents and students I was familiar with were all happy and well informed. That doesn't mean that all students that are home schooled are successful but I would guess that more than 90% of the groups of home school taught children were very intelligent, polite, mature, and obviously happy with their schooling.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    The home school parents and students I was familiar with were all happy and well informed. That doesn't mean that all students that are home schooled are successful but I would guess that more than 90% of the groups of home school taught children were very intelligent, polite, mature, and obviously happy with their schooling.

That’s a big delta from the 50% or more that public school spits out that are illiterate or lack basic arithmetic skills...

Top Bottom