• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I wondered if that 'stump remover' is pure Potassium Nitrate.

I found some here and I might get 10 pounds to 'experiment'.

http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query="potassium+nitrate"

bob
    5765148d3dd013b6ddcae9dcebc549e7.jpg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shoot....what a ride!"
    Texas SOT

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Ok, got my charcoal making going. started out with a new paint can and some cedar bedding.

19acf33adb39c3f564d332a8522dc109.jpg

b60845e3097b23696a80ad0e6523e34e.jpg

Punched a hole in the lid and placed it on the can.

7a8d90f636ac101e6afaae355d50a969.jpg

I decided to use my smokehouse to cook it in. it hadnt been used in a long time and I figured the cedar smoke would run out any critters.

128a7153d8a14633d3503bfe7abc8c1d.jpg

c697566fd25cd30d26b54cab759c5d5d.jpg

Took quite a while for the wood gas to sustain a flame, but it finally cooperated

517b786efdd75aa0d758c594da55d52c.jpg

65507f7f393b5fe80d1558e3924578ad.jpg

sucess on keeping a flame!

b7f1cb8ec599e0a7ff17ad35d08bd79c.jpg

ff56cc08b529215fbb49336a2a9cfeab.jpg

416d8ad24eea1bb0df07dcff69c2ebf7.jpg

Now the wait begins!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shoot....what a ride!"

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Took about 2.5 hrs to get the flame to die out. had to shake the can numerous times to stir the charcoal/wood chips up. finally got it to go out for good. cooked it another 10 mins shaking the can a few times for good measure. I didnt get a pic of the charcoal before milling, but I was able to mix up another batch. 150 grams of salt peter, 20 grams of sulfur and 30 grams of milled charcoal.

screening out the big chunks of charcoal:

3256bac112849a6223bed6ddf7110d9e.jpg

The mix before milling:

14a69db34c2bf702d963a7774c0065da.jpg

Im going to run the mill with the mix overnight. Then I should end up with just over 7 oz of mill powder (200 grams). once that is done, I will either wait on my press die (and build my press in the meantime) or I may just do another wet screening like my last batch. I have a second batch of charcoal on the burner and I am going to make some more mill media so I can run 2 drums at once.

After asking around, I can build some mill media out of 1/2" copper tubing cut into 1" pieces, fill each piece with molten lead and round the ends with a hammer to retain the lead. That is tomorrow's project! Ill need to mill some more sulfur, salt peter and charcoal for my next batch!

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    A few videos for your viewing pleasure!

Here is the paint can in the process of making charcoal

Here is my newest batch of black powder after only 15 mins of milling. you can see just how weak it is by how slow it burns. This is why I say it would be VERY hard to have an explosion while milling. A fire, yes. An explosion, I highly doubt it!

Here is a test burn of the first batch I processed and actually fired. Its a nuch faster burn, but still nowhere near factory powder.

Im really curious to see just how fast pressed powder will burn!!!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Good thread and I'm following it with interest!

Got a question...........
    In making charcoal, I thought the process used was to heat the wood under pressure to drive off the impurities. By burning off the combustible gasses, aren't you losing the energy that you need in the BP burning process? It would leave nothing but inert carbon. Just wondering...............

I used ground up charcoal briquets for my charcoal source. It's messy, but it works, good.

I hope eye protection is high on your safety list. Please be careful! Some of my powder went up and burned the hair off of my right arm......up to the elbow! It was a Hell of a fireball.

Flash

Last edited:

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Good thread and I'm following it with interest!

Got a question...........
    In making charcoal, I thought the process used was to heat the wood under pressure to drive off the impurities. By burning off the combustible gasses, aren't you losing the energy that you need in the BP burning process? It would leave nothing but inert carbon. Just wondering...............

I used ground up charcoal briquets for my charcoal source. It's messy, but it works, good.

I hope eye protection is high on your safety list. Please be careful! Some of my powder went up and burned the hair off of my right arm......up to the elbow! It was a Hell of a fireball.

Flash

You are wanting to carbonize the wood without actually burning it. The easiest way to do that is to exclude oxygen from the chamber and heat the wood until all the gasses are driven off and the wood has been carbonized. After the moisture is driven off, you can light the wood gas coming out of the hole. As soon as the flame goes out and cant be relit, you continue cooking the wood for 5 more mins, shut off the heat and let it cool.

Manufactured charcoal (bbq charcoal) has been overcooked to the point that it makes weak powder.

here is a decent article I found. There are tons of articles explaining it much better than I can on the net.

http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/how-to-make/homemade-charcoal.asp

another, article that explains a little better why bbq charcoal isnt good for making black powder.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.muzzleloader-gunpowder-how-to.html

bbq charcoal mixed with salt peter and sulfur will burn, but it just makes a very weak gunpowder. The first 2 batches I ever made were made with it, and the results werent too exciting!

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    The problem with garden center sulfur is the acidity... It makes the gunpowder unstable. As in impact unstable.
    It would need to be impure to have acidity. elemental sulfur is not acidic until it combines with hydrogen and oxygen and is insoluable in water. This reaction is usually made by SRB (sulfur reducing bacteria) in the soil. check the msds and verify it is 100% sulfur. most soil amendments are some kind of sulfate or sulfide, but soms garden centers sell pure sulfur granuals as it lasts in the soil much longer than sulfates/sulfides because the SRB slowly break it down. They will be bright yellow.

Just like using stump remover for salt peter, you must verify what it is before using it Spectecide stump remover is salt peter, bonide is sodium metabisulfite.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Finally got my press built!!

b6efadc9ea52b939c14fa9b3427a458a.jpg

95bc55ebf781a698cb522fce9f2b599d.jpg

Still waiting on my die, but I couldnt let the press sit idle for that long, so I put together a temporary die at work!

33891cb992617e5d9a439b663927768f.jpg

The wood plugs didnt last long under 8 tons of force. The teflon disks held up much better than I would have thought!
    I knew it likely wouldnt last long, but it worked to test the press!

73577624f030f4187ee3d5953b922b94.jpg

Took 3 cakes before I got the mousture in the powder right!

First batch just crumbled, second batch held together a bit better, but still not good enoug. Third batch was success! In this pic, you can see the second batch crumbled up and the third batch hard as a rock!

fbe11815c880f205f062ceb9636c4a2b.jpg

34d6b796362cfbaeacc40e091d22c81f.jpg

You can see where the teflon disk gave too much so the edges are softer than the rest.

300664278699f3d0dfc689d3e1c2e38e.jpg

Cant wait for my actual powder press die to come in!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Why do you press the powder in to disks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Why do you press the powder in to disks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Increases the burn rate and makes the powder more durable. The grains in the first batch of powder (not pressed) were soft. You could crush them with your fingers. The grains in the pressed batch are hard as rocks.

here is a burn test of unpressed granulated powder

and here is the pressed powder test from last nigh

you can see a major difference in the burn speed.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Needed some more milling media. got this idea from the guy I ordered the powder press die from. 1/2" copper tubing cut into 1" sections and filled with lead. hammer the endsto bulge the metals so they dont seperate and you are ready to go!

63f9c4d8304b56071a58d35bee2edba7.jpg

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Finally got a chance to test some of my first few batches (without a good press die). Worked great! I inherited a pietta reproduction 1858 new model army .44 from my grandfather. Figured it would be a good test platform! 35 grains by volume just slightly compressed under the ball.

I didnt bring the chrono or any factory powder, but I was very pleased with the results! Good punch, good ignition, and the accuracy wasnt bad at all (for me at least).

25 yds

611f39d7d35c831f7d115e4f08c4a52b.jpg

Just recieved my powder press die in the mail today! pressing some cakes right now. cant wait to see how they work out!

0787f5bce8c37e14191953922142e62b.jpg

65edff502b8d17efa817987e60f7895d.jpg

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I just went to the local Ace Hardware and all they had was BONIDE Stump-Out. I looked at the MSDS and it is Sodium Metabisulfite. The Spectracide Stump Remover was available at LOWES so I took a 12 mile drive the the big city of Decatur.

I already have about 10 pounds of Sodium Metabisulfite (AKA Campden Tablets) for sterilizing bottles and beer making equipment. I also use it in Winemaking as a sulfite to kill unwanted bacteria and wild yeasts.

Don't buy Bonide brand 'cause it won't work.

Keep posting 'fishingsetx'!!!!!! I'm getting into this!!!

bob

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Where did you get the die from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A guy out of Oklahoma makes them and sells them for $20+shipping (cost me $27 total). The only contact I have with him is on castboolits.com and his handle is "FLY". I can get more contact info if you are interested.

The die workes awesome. Only addition I did was cut a teflon disk for one end because the C-channel on my homemade press is starting to warp. With a good flat surface, the disk wouldnt even be needed.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    after letting the pucks dry, i used a cheap disposable aluminum pan and a ball pein hammer to break them up into small pieces (say 1/4 dia or smaller). then ground them in a hand crank ceramic burr coffee grinder. took a bit of trial and error to adjust the grinder to make the right size grains. even then, Id guess 30% or more gets recycled due to being too small

0b138a7e71d31747c7d6c3a04b30ddbd.jpg

I then dumped the ground powder into a set of screens I ordered off amazon. fffg will pass through 20 mesh screen but not through 30 mesh.

here you can see the stacked screens and a blue dollar store bowl they fit in perfectly. Anything that was too large to pass through 20 mesh went back into the grinder for a second run.

795b39f81470166c4f116710119a93c3.jpg

here is the 30 mesh screen and the correct grain sized powder.

ee00856ce76184ff162154621347c766.jpg

here are the fines that Ill reprocess

93bfe7ee4c0c158596c05f94fcdc4b54.jpg

Top Bottom