• SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Are all batteries created equal?

'OEM' Honda battery lists for $130... Other 12V 4Ah range from about $20 and up.

This dirt bike has very low hours but has been sitting for about a year. I need to get it tuned up and figured I'd replace the battery among other basic procedures.

Hoping someone more experienced in the realm of dirtbike batteries can offer some advice.

Thanks in advance.
    97b3f856f6593309c967b42dc83d931b.jpg
    Lynx Defense

Attachments

• 97b3f856f6593309c967b42dc83d931b.jpg
      97b3f856f6593309c967b42dc83d931b.jpg
      70.6 KB · Views: 216

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    We used to have tons of dirt bikes and the like.

OEM batteries were too pricey.
    As long as the batteries were on a battery tender/maintainer, they all lasted about the same amount of time in my experience.

Don’t keep them on a “trickle charger” as they’ll over-charge.
    A maintainer will not overcharge them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    We used to have tons of dirt bikes and the like.

OEM batteries were too pricey.
    As long as the batteries were on a battery tender/maintainer, they all lasted about the same amount of time in my experience.

Don’t keep them on a “trickle charger” as they’ll over-charge.
    A maintainer will not overcharge them.

This^^^^

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Never knew that about three trickle charger; my dad and son in law use them when their HD's are going to sit for a bit.

So as for a replacement, am I generally good to go with a basic, general battery manufacturer?

Thanks again.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    I wouldn't worry about it. Honda is a great reliable product. But... I wouldn't pay their premium for a dirt bike battery.

I run a Shorai in my bike. But it's for enduros and I wanted to shed weight.
    Got it thanks!

Had a Yamaha XT250 Dual Sport when I lived in San Diego. Although the state is bass ackwards, I used to go out to a nice shooting spot with some Sheriffs and Border Patrol officers out near the Mexico border with rifles strapped to my side bags. Sold the bike when I moved to Canada for work.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Not all "trickle chargers" are created equal.

Brands like Battery Tender have monitoring tech built in and work to keep the voltage at a constant level. Many, cheaper trickle chargers are on a simple timer and charge on a predetermined interval for a predetermined time.

And the type battery may need a specific charger. Lithiums like a slower charge as opposed to a high initial charge and tapering off.

For instance, I have a Shorai lithium battery on my 1290 adventure bike. Lithiums tend to go to sleep after a period of inactivity and requires a jump or charge from a tender or just applying a load, like high beams or a light bar for a few minutes to "wake" it up. It can be annoying. Mine seems to be fine after a week or so. But 2 weeks, I can tell its a bit slow to roll the motor over.

But it has a tremendous CCA capacity and will hold up to bouncing around on dirt roads and trails. I've had plates shake loose on lead acid batteries before.

The moral? Ride it every week. :cowboy:

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Lithiums tend to go to sleep after a period of inactivity and requires a jump or charge from a tender or just applying a load, like high beams or a light bar for a few minutes to "wake" it up.

The moral? Ride it every week. :cowboy:

I wondered about lithium. I prefer to use them wherever possible in other battery operated items.

All good advice.

The difference is how much work they can do and its called CCA.

Just match up to what you have. Any GOOD brand will do.

Got it, thanks! Will pay attention to cold cranking amps.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Never knew that about three trickle charger; my dad and son in law use them when their HD's are going to sit for a bit.

So as for a replacement, am I generally good to go with a basic, general battery manufacturer?

Thanks again.

Battery tender is a good brand.
    Schumacher is another.

There are many others...I’ve got some older Die Hard maintainers that are still running strong.

If the name or description says “maintainer” you’re good to go.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Battery tender is a good brand.
    Schumacher is another.

There are many others...I’ve got some older Die Hard maintainers that are still running strong.

If the name or description says “maintainer” you’re good to go.

Awesome!

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I have had very good luck with the Power Source batteries in my ATVs, usually order from Amazon. Beat the Yamaha flooded type, no water needed and last much longer. It is hard to replace the battery in a Polaris 4 wheeler let alone fill the cells with distilled water. Thankfully these AGM need no work. I use the BatteryMinder brand for my charging needs. They were highly rated for aircraft use (aircraft models are different than home models) and do an excellent job for my home use. I use the BatteryMINDer 128CEC1 and charge multiple vehicles all with the same battery at the same time (don't mix battery capacity). I am sure that BatteryTender is good too. Stay away from the trickle chargers from Harbor Freight.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    ...and just a standard gelcell for this application. No lithium.

Roger that!

I have had very good luck with the Power Source batteries in my ATVs, usually order from Amazon.

Stay away from the trickle chargers from Harbor Freight.

Appreciate sharing the experience and yep, Harbor Freight is ok for some things but not items you leave plugged in and unattended ha!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom