• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gorp2007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    I have no clue. I would guess if it has a magazine below the action would be the only way for the smaller caliber to hold more..

There’s no mag capacity difference as long as you’re using 2.75” or 3” shells in each. I guess if you’re running 2.75” 20 gauge vs 3.5” 12 gauge there’s a difference, but that’s hardly a fair comparison.

Specs for an 870 Express.

c65d4218ef5cd103202831fbc63beb49.jpg

Gorp2007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    If someone really thinks a large caliber shotgun should be used in their home, why not go to a 10 gauge?

The availability of appropriate defensive ammo is why most would go with a 12, and puts it ahead of 20 or 10 (or .410, 28, 16, and 8). Appropriate buckshot along with reduced recoil loads if you want ‘em. Best you can do with factory from a 20 is generally #4 buckshot, which is less likely to get 12” of penetration.

That being said, use whatever tickles your fancy, I still prefer an AR for a number of reasons.

Reactions: gll

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Don't forget we have to think of others in the house. Using 12 ga., or a rifle "could" put them in more danger than a smaller caliber or gauge. Most defensive shots in a dwelling, (in my opinion or guess) would not be more than 15 or 20 feet.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Don't forget we have to think of others in the house. Using 12 ga., or a rifle "could" put them in more danger than a smaller caliber or gauge. Most defensive shots in a dwelling, (in my opinion or guess) would not be more than 15 or 20 feet.
    So...excellent point. Something I have done for the past three homes I lived in: I get snapcaps and practice inside my home for how to engage someone using safe shots. It’s very important to build muscle memory of your homes layout. I’m gonna sound weird for this but get creative. If a safe shot is you hitting the floor on your back or side gets you safe shots, try it. Been used to break falling for a long time.

Gorp2007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2021
    San Antonio

That’s why I prefer an AR. Lighter, faster bullets that provide desirable terminal effects but don’t retain as much energy after going through interior walls. Plus they’re typically easier to shoot accurately, which means more hits on target and fewer in drywall.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Practice practice practice in your home. Even if I’m hanging from the ceiling by my balls because of some weird fetish, I must be ready and aware.

Bamban

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Anderson Mill Area
    I have a 1911s in all 3 bathrooms, in the living room, in the great room, and in the kitchen, 5.7N (wife knows how to use it) in the bedroom along with an 18 inch 1100.

Why in the bathrooms? Hell, I don't want to get caught literally with my pants down.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Twenty gauge pump shotgun is optimum for a residence. With lower recoil and upped capacity of ammo it works well. A 12 ga. is not needed inside a residence and the 20 ga. is more easily handled by most people, male and female.

Truth be told.....unless you're into gun games (clays, 3-gun) or hunting, a good .410 pump loaded with 000Buck will take care of your HD needs quite nicely with far less recoil.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Coriolis308
    Top Bottom