Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I was a menber there for several years. I thought it was pretty nice..
    It is.

OT RAMBLINGS

It's not, however, really top-notch. Few facilities are.

Short story: Back when Houston was still in the running to host the Olympics, ASC was the planned site for the shooting events. I've been a venue coordinator for an Olympic qualifier before so I know a little about what goes into preparing the venues. I drove out there and talked to the manager, offering my help if they needed anything.

They looked at me like I had two heads. They declared they had the finest range around and they were absolutely sure that if the Olympics came to Houston only minor changes would be required.

In fact, the entire place would have been bulldozed and rebuilt from scratch. The Olympics would have required more money be spent on just the airgun house than has been spent to build everything currently on the site.

I was invited to take my offer of help and leave with it; I was not welcome.

I almost wish we'd gotten the Olympics so that those guys could have gotten an idea what a real International-level facility looks like. Such is life.

BACK TO THE PRESENT

But it's a perfectly adequate place to go shoot with friends. For that purpose, I have no complaints.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Alright! We have a place.

Now how about a date and time?

Sent from a B-52 flying over Russia.

Alrighty. I'm calling it for next Saturday (04APR2015). Forecast looks like there's supposed to be a break in the rain that day. Time probably sometime earlier. Anyone know what time of day ASC isn't really crowded on Saturdays?

Link:
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/houston/55822-asc-morning.html

This is where several members seem to post adventures at ASC....

Thanks much! I'll be sure to post an announcement once this thing is finalized there (looks like we just need to figure out a time of day now).

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    How do I sign up? I just saw this posting.

For the Hicksville or the ASC?
    Same way for both. Just show up and look for guys wearing TGT hats. There are sometimes sign-up lists on threads but they're only truly mandatory when there's food being served or range space is distinctly limited.

Although you should note that April 4 at ASC is highly unlikely to happen given the conflict with Hicksville, as per Scott's post.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong about that. I'd love to see everyone from Houston who can't make it to Hicksville head out to ASC on the same day and have the same sort of fun as those of us at Hicksville. Simultaneously creating all that positive karma has got to be good for the universe. :)

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Same way for both. Just show up and look for guys wearing TGT hats. There are sometimes sign-up lists on threads but they're only truly mandatory when there's food being served or range space is distinctly limited.

Although you should note that April 4 at ASC is highly unlikely to happen given the conflict with Hicksville, as per Scott's post.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong about that. I'd love to see everyone from Houston who can't make it to Hicksville head out to ASC on the same day and have the same sort of fun as those of us at Hicksville. Simultaneously creating all that positive karma has got to be good for the universe. :)

I actually had completely forgot that Hicksville was that day (I'm not going this year). But hey, we could always do that. Make it a range day for those that aren't going to or can't make it to Hicksville this year.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Does it have to be a weekend day?

No chance for a weekday meet?

Well we could do it that Friday (03APR2015) or the following Monday (06APR2015), or even that Sunday as well. Anything outside that window doesn't really fit into my schedule (though y'all could always do one without me lol). I just thought that weekend would be easier for most people what with them Mon-Fri 9am-5pm jobs and all that are so popular lol.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    FYI ASC is closed on Mondays.

Next Sunday is Easter. Many people will have other plans.

I would love to go, but I am going to give Hicksville a try this time unless the weather is bad up there.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I actually had completely forgot that Hicksville was that day (I'm not going this year). But hey, we could always do that. Make it a range day for those that aren't going to or can't make it to Hicksville this year.
    So much for catching a ride with you...mofo

Top Bottom