• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I wonder if all the asbestos has been removed. Probably, too much liability if not and couldn't get the demo permit. I've worked with Cherry in years past, I'll just say they didn't always follow specifications OR the law.

When the former Macy’s downtown Houston building is demolished next month, it will be the closest implosion to Metro’s rail alignment to date, according to the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County.

The 10-story, 791,000-square-foot building, at 1110 Main, will be demolished just after daybreak the morning of Sept. 22, the Houston Chronicle reports.

Metro will shut down affected rail routes at 9 p.m. Sept. 20, two days before the demolition, according to information presented at a transit authority meeting this week. Portions of Metro’s infrastructure will be removed or protected, and buses will be rerouted away from the area.

The transit authority hopes to restore rail service on Sept. 22 or 23 but has plans in place in case rail service is down anywhere from two days to three weeks, according to the meeting’s presentation.

Houston-based Cherry Cos. is overseeing the demolition but is not discussing the project publicly, the Chronicle reports.

In March, Houston’s Downtown Retail Task Force said the Central Business District can absorb another 350,000 square feet of shopping space. Mayor Annise Parker formed the task force in January after Macy’s Inc. (NYSE: M) said it would close the downtown Houston location.

Parker said at a Jan. 3 press conference the building's owner planned to demolish the structure and "wants to build a commercial office building on that site," the Chronicle reported at the time.

Downtown Houston Macy's demolition set for September - Houston Business Journal
    DK Firearms

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    I wonder if all the asbestos has been removed. Probably, too much liability if not and couldn't get the demo permit. I've worked with Cherry in years past, I'll just say they didn't always follow specifications OR the law.

Downtown Houston Macy's demolition set for September - Houston Business Journal

Small world, I went to highschool, played baseball, and went to church with the owner's son. Good kid, never met the owner though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    When I worked downtown, I used to go there at Christmas time. Because there was nobody shopping when the office folks left for the holidays, the store put everything on sale. I snuck out of work one day to pick up something and ran into the president of the division I worked for. We both nodded in that way that good men do - "I ain't saying nothin' if you ain't" - and went about our business.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Local streets closed at 2100hrs today so that demo setup can continue

Lee P Brown's choo choo train service suspended for the weekend :(

Dammit I wish I lived closer!!!

Top Bottom