• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I'm relatively new to the Houston area and someone pointed out in another thread that our section doesn't have much traffic. So... I decided, lets start a thread and talk guns/gear here in Houston.

Since I'm the new guy, I don't have a lot to share. I will say that I did use Sean Cody for my NFA trust. Being a lawyer myself, I didn't want to chance anything and wanted to use an expert, and Sean definitely is that. Super personal service.

I bought my 1st silencer from Houston Armory (very mediocre experience with these guys) and am still waitng for my ATF approval. Where does everyone go for their NFA needs around town?

Also, where do people like to shoot in Fort Bend/Katy side of town? I'd really like to find a nice rifle range where I can shoot my Noveske N4.

This thread is dedicated to anything and everything local, so share where you buy your guns and gear. Let us know where to stay away from. And where do youlike to shoot?

:patriot:
    Target Sports

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Go to American Shooting Center to shoot in that area or better go to IMPACT ZONE with membership. Hot Wells is improving their range as well.

Too hot now to do much shooting for me so I"m working on current collection buying a few things to enhance functionality.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I've heard lots of great things about the Impact Zone. Is it even possible to get a membership there? Someone told me they weren't accepting new members or you had to know a current member or something like that.

I hear that about the heat... Its def hotter than a jacked off tomcat. What kinds of additions are you making to your collection?

I am in the process of making some big pick ups myself.

LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    I've taken several classes at the Impact Zone. It is a good place to shoot, but it is so far away from where I live. A membership requires referrals from existing members. About the only time I fo is for a training class.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Wow... Definitely sounds like I'm gonna have to check Impact Zone out at least once. Sounds like going up there when they have a class/IDPA might be best option. I think I may have shot at ASC before(if its the on by GB park), it was insanely crowded when I was there. I do remember they were pretty reasonable price wise so maybe I'll give em another shot.

Where does everyone do their NFA/gear shopping?

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    SC-Texas has a good list of NFA dealers here in the Houston and grater Houston area. Some good folks on there. Some that I can think of off the top of my head are:

Primary Arms
    Specter Firearms
    AMSS

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    American Shooting Centers is never too hot to shoot at. The range is optimized for a nice breeze from behind. For an outdoor range there seems to be an almost total absence of mosquito's. I shoot there year round, and it is never too hot in the summer. The worst part is cease fire, when you put your black gun (rifle) in the rack, and the sun shines on it making it very hot. Pistols are not a problem. Since they expanded the 50yard targets there is far less waiting. I will give them an A+ for a Houston range.
    All shooting stations 200 yards or less are shaded. 300yd to 600yd are not shaded. They also have trap, skeet, and sporting clays.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Thanks for all the tips y'all.... I like where this thread is going.

I forgot the biggest suggestion yet... I buy ALL of my ammo from ammotogo.com based out of Brenham, TX. I either have them ship it or just drive an hour to go grab it myself. They open early so sometimes I cruise up there before work, grab my ammo and can almost make it to work on time. That is a grade-A organization and I haven't found anywhere that consistently beats their prices(or selection). If anyone has any ammo suggestions, please speak up. If not, check these guys out.

Peter M. Eick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    I have been going to ASC for about 20 years or so now. While it is ok today, it was a lot more fun in decades past when there were less rules and you could shoot more reactive targets like clay pigeons. Also the range is quite busy and the RO's lately have gotten very concerned about me picking up my brass for reloading.

Given the options, I will stay with ASC but I will move from the 15 yrd to 25 yrd pistol range soon so I get less feedback from the RO's.

They do run a reasonably safe place and have been trying hard to make it more family friendly lately.

If you are into class 3, have you hit Tactical Firearms on Mason in Katy area? Nice shop, good folks.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Thanks for the input. Yeah, I have visited Tactical Firearms before... And you are right, they were very friendly. Not the biggest selection of gear per se, but they seemed eager to order anything you needed. I'll probably use them in the future if they do cheap transfers, as I have my eye on a few new things.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Hey... I'm thinking about buying an SBR off gunbroker to save me some money(sales tax and cheaper list price). Who in Houston/Katy/MOntogomery Co(I go there 1 a week) does NFA transfers and how much? I am assuming some of the earlier recommendations in this thread still hold true. How much should I expect for an NFA dealer to accept a transfer from an out of state dealer? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Where do you get $5 transfers at in Houston? I looked at Tactical Firearms off Mason as recommended in this thread and they wanted $35 for transfers(on non-NFA items). I know a place in town that does NFA transfers, but when I was there last I saw them letting other customers handle people's NFA items that were awaiting ATF approval. I personally thought that was in bad taste. I wouldn't want to order something and have people fondling it for up to 3 months before I can lay my hands on it. I want an NFA dealer who is going to put my item in the SAFE and keep it there until I am approved.

Domineaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Houston
    Yeah I'd have to agree about not wanting my NFA stuff fondled by others for months before I could do so.
    The $5 transfer I get is from houstongunforum.com store:
    $15 for FFL xfer at store, or $10 for forum members, and $5 for supporting members (very worth it).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Houston
    ASC is convenient on that side of town.

For transfers, you might want to check on Armory Management and Supply Services, AMSS-USA.com :: Supplying the Home Front. I found them from a thread on here and they were pleasant to deal with. $15 fee with a CHL, $20 without. When I picked up my rifle there about a month ago, they had just got their class 3 license but I'm not sure what they charge.

Top Bottom