• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas Heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    I should start with I have hunted but not extensively. I didn't grow up hunting. No one taught me. I know very few people that go hunting. How does one go all out? I don't know anything about getting a lease, setting up feeders or even locating property that I can hunt on. I've been lucky to get invited a couple times but I've moved and don't live near those guys any more. How does somebody start a family tradition of hunting?
    Guns International

Texas Heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    I'm in the city over here. All the hunters here either have family land or make the big money and go wherever they want on the company's dime. I unfortunately have neither. Getting into hunting is way harder than I thought it would be. You would think I was asking for someone's fishing hole.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    First you’ll have to decide what species of game and which area of the state you will want to hunt.
    Research that. Resources are easily avialable on-line.

The big hurdle(as you’ve already discovered) is land access.
    If you don’t have family access you’re gonna have to pay. Sadly hunting in Texas has been priced out of reach for most. Seach on-line and by word of mouth.

There are some Public Land options available but these require detailed research as each locale may have unique regulations.

I see you are in Houston.
    There are many waterfowl public hunting areas around your part of the state. These can be accessed for little cost.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    One thing I will add is to not watch stupid hunting shows that are full of sponsor plugs and the host gets dropped off in a blind and told what buck he can shoot, then takes a $2500 rifle/scope and kills a deer with it at 85 yards....wow what an accomplishment!

If you want to pick up some good advice and lean about ethics, watch MeatEater on Netflix

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I should start with I have hunted but not extensively. I didn't grow up hunting. No one taught me. I know very few people that go hunting. How does one go all out? I don't know anything about getting a lease, setting up feeders or even locating property that I can hunt on. I've been lucky to get invited a couple times but I've moved and don't live near those guys any more. How does somebody start a family tradition of hunting?
    I had to learn from others and things on my own, not from my family. I will say this, some people are natural and some aren’t but it’s always a great reason to be outdoors and spend time with others. Have you killed anything? Before I was big game hunting I was a heavy varmint hunter. It got me used to the aftermath. You go from little pest to coons then coyote. Then seeing a deer layed out is all the same. IMO the biggest area to learn is cutting the animal up.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    One thing I will add is to not watch stupid hunting shows that are full of sponsor plugs and the host gets dropped off in a blind and told what buck he can shoot, then takes a $2500 rifle/scope and kills a deer with it at 85 yards....wow what an accomplishment!

If you want to pick up some good advice and lean about ethics, watch MeatEater on Netflix
    Right? Those hunting shows are weird. They don’t ever show things that help people learn.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Hate to say it but the internet is Not the best place to start to become a Hunter. It’s a place to chat and BS and share stories as well as see some cool pics of what others have accomplished.
    It won’t be easy on your own so find a person or persons willing to help you out. Ask everyone you know or meet. Hell just yesterday I was at Clear Springs restaurant and asked the waiter a question on gun shops in the area and he just happened to be a dog handler for hunting hogs and worked several ranches. BOOM! It’s sometimes just that simple a guy with tons of knowledge and willing to talk. This comes from my own experiences as always.

Last edited:

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I grew up hunting deer,squirrel,and dove in Mississippi. I also enjoyed fishing. All of that has gone away since I moved to San Antonio, Texas. I hope to move to a state with more public land in the future. I also dont think shooting deer at 50 yards under a feeder is hunting. I guess I'm just not a "Texas hunter"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I grew up hunting deer,squirrel,and dove in Mississippi. I also enjoyed fishing. All of that has gone away since I moved to San Antonio, Texas. I hope to move to a state with more public land in the future. I also dont think shooting deer at 50 yards under a feeder is hunting. I guess I'm just not a "Texas hunter"

I understand where you’re coming from. Never used a feeder or a tree stand or blind.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas

I am not a TEXAS hunter either I like the Desert mule deer hunt far far better. San Antonio offers simalar terrain type hunting though it’s pay as you go Sadly. I found a few people with land that charge about $200-$300 per day sounds high price but if you don’t have a couple grand for a lease it could work.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Reading between the lines of your original post you appear to be wanting to deer hunt?

These days it is likely easier to scratch your hunting itch in Texas with bird hunting, preferably starting with the "guided" bird hunting opportunities, both waterfowl (duck and goose) and dove and quail, many not all that far from Houston.

Also a lot of outfitters that offer guided hunts of all types, like these guys (don't know'em, not recommending, just an idea of what to google on).

Might be relatively expensive, but it'll get you into get into the right part of Texas for the hunting you're interested in to start looking around.

Although I guided waterfowl hunting around the Katy prairie myself after getting out of the service, I still enjoy the comforts of a ocassional guided hunt, where all you have to do is show up and shoot ... and it scratches the itch.

I don't know whether Forrest West of "Los Patos" is still in operation, but looking him up would be a good start for waterfowl hunting closer to Houston if that interests you.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Maybe op could go a different direction. Yes Texas is a lot different than where I’m from but being Texas is pretty friendly and still very pro gun, I don’t need to be hunting deer or elk to be happy. I am going to figure out places to go for hog next year. My viewpoint on feeders change when something is viewed as a pest. I wanna try some hog. I’m sure tgt has some good advice for making them yummy. At heart I will always be a varmint hunter. It’s a past time, can be a way to get meat, and it protects land and stock. So it hit me when op mentioned how to start a tradition. Don’t Ignore pest control.

Even though now a days in the eyes of liberals were lower than other hunters.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I'll add to this. I picked up Steven's complete guide to hunting. Both books are excellent.

Texas Heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    I've checked out the guides. On the lower end, if I have to pay $700 to fill a couple tags (no trophies, not interested in that anyhow) then I may as well just hit the grocery store for meat. I was hoping to attain another skill and share it with family. I can fish and learned on my own with a little internet help a bunch of years ago. I was hoping hunting would go the same way. I guess finding spots to fish isn't quite as tough :)

Top Bottom