• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I'm also thinking about adding a good .22 rimfire rifle to my battery for squeaks up close. Wolf .223 is available right now in this ammo shortage at 26 cents a pop if ordered online in a 500 count bulk order.

hard to beat a decent .22 bolt gun, but if you like to fiddle with things and already have a 223 bolt, these are kind of fun

Target Sports

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I'll stand up for 22-250. I currently own multiple varmint rigs in various rimfire and centerfire calibers. My Bergara B-14 HMR in 22-250 gets used the most. Useful varmint rigs tend to have big glass. If you don't NEED the glass then maybe you aren't shooting all that far at targets that aren't all the small. Range considerations are paramount when debating caliber. As for cost per round, are you really going to be shooting all that much that it makes that big of a difference? I highly doubt it.

pdhmrut.jpg

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    +1 on investing in high quality optics,
    Since you're not altogether opposed to rimfire, I'd urge you to consider 17WSM. The Savage B.Mag is a decent rifle, and chambered in 17WSM with a decent scope is quite a tack-driver

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    a bit on the spendy side per shot: for nasty little things, I don't want to spend more than 30 cents on its death per critter even if that means buying online in bulk...there is the money conspiracy in all this

at least in bulk, 500-count, .223, .22LR and .17 HMR are on the 30 minus cents side per pop even now in the ammo scarcity
    Ok..I see.. I don’t use bulk ammo for varmints, I hand load everything from prairie dogs to coyotes

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I'll stand up for 22-250. I currently own multiple varmint rigs in various rimfire and centerfire calibers. My Bergara B-14 HMR in 22-250 gets used the most. Useful varmint rigs tend to have big glass. If you don't NEED the glass then maybe you aren't shooting all that far at targets that aren't all the small. Range considerations are paramount when debating caliber. As for cost per round, are you really going to be shooting all that much that it makes that big of a difference? I highly doubt it.

View attachment 223887

Uh huh, really. A friend booked a prairie dog hunt in Wyoming IIRC. 4 Days 3 nights. They told him to bring 1,000
    rounds of ammo for whatever he was going to shoot.

And armadillos carry Lupus. You don't want to mess with that

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i didnt know abput lupus, but i had heard of leprosy. you have to cook the shit out of them i hear.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Uh huh, really. A friend booked a prairie dog hunt in Wyoming IIRC. 4 Days 3 nights. They told him to bring 1,000

Your "friend" booked a hunt with an outfitter that has access to (probably) multiple prairie dog metropolis's where one can sit in the same spot on a bench all day and fire to their heart's content. That is a specific location and situation that most do not encounter.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

i didnt know abput lupus, but i had heard of leprosy. you have to cook the shit out of them i hear.

Armadillos can carry leprosy.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    The .223 will do you right, I've had 22-250 and 220 Swift for varmints..the 223 replaced both. The cartridge is weak for wild hogs so shot placement is critical...I bought a 300 Blackout upper for those. AND that Vanguard will look good doing it!

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Tx Parks and Wildlife has these animals listed as non-game species but this list is not exhaustive: armadillos, bobcats, coyotes, flying squirrels, frogs, ground squirrels, mountain lions, porcupines, prairie dogs, rabbits, and turtles. I hate porkies and would be glad to blow one to kingdom come any legal opportunity to shoot one presents itself. A porcupine once gave my stupid dog a $250 quill bill at the vet's office. I like to kill the critters most harmful to ranchers and farmers. I don't think skunks are protected. Are armadillos hated by landowners? Do I need a green-tip bullet to penetrate that animal's armor? I know hares and rabbits hurt crops. May fox in Tx be banged away legally if they are a pest on a farm?
    Ha Ha kinda funny SS109 not needed unless they are wearing body armor... as far as legal foxes, on our ranch we simply follow the SSS solution...shoot -shovel -shut up..( We don't shoot foxes because they are not a problem yet. Shoot too many rabbits and the coyotes will take calves, shoot too many coyotes and rabbits take your garden )

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I'm also thinking about adding a good .22 rimfire rifle to my battery for squeaks up close. Wolf .223 is available right now in this ammo shortage at 26 cents a pop if ordered online in a 500 count bulk order.

If you are shooting varmints, you want varmint rounds or ballistic tips. Not FMJs. Most Wolf stuff is FMJ.

GoatFarmer said:
    Looking at everything in terms of dollars and cents, it sounds like the .22-250 might be as useless as __ on a bull after all. Many claim that the AR platform is no tack-driver for long-range gophers. There is no cheap bolt-action rifle chambered in 5.56 NATO that I know of and .223 seems rather decent in the accuracy department.
    Your data on the AR is inaccurate. 230 yds is pretty far for a giant squirrel. I've shot groundhogs that far out with my AR.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom