• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Semi debating getting a truck with a 235 any of yall had one? Whats the good/bad? How are they on milage? Ive never had anything smaller then a V-8 (have a 302, 4.8 vortec now. had a 5.9L dodge(gasser), and a 4.7L dodge) Would this with a 3 speed have any trouble on the highway? I posted a picture on the post whore thread but If you didnt see it here it is. Ive been looking and I can put A/C in it for 1300 bucks(classicautoair) Also would I be stupid to have this as a daily driver I drove my f-100 for a year and loved it even without a/c lol. I hate the fact its suck a pain working on new vehicles. anyway heres the truck.
    5G35Q25J33K33Je3Hcc54945fafcc289b1abc.jpg

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I love older style builds. I was born 50-60 years too late

The only real problem I could see is i havent drove a manuel trans in 10 years...Well I lie I tried to drive my brother in laws car, but its a PITA to drive unless you drive a stick daily(not to mention I didnt want to slip the clutch with 700+ HP around a bunch of $100K boats on trailers around me)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    My first car was a 55 Chevy with the 235.5 Blue Streak in it! I used to race small V8's and win! Great running engine!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Unless the heads have been worked (valves and seats hardened) it is gonna need fuel additives to lube the valves on unleaded gasoline. My first vehicle was just like that one. 61 Chevy, short wide, 3 on the tree, 235 six. Strong pulling motor, just don't push it on the top speed.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Wait, you have a 302 AND a 4.8 Vortec? 4.8L is about 292 ci...

3rd gear is going to be direct drive (1:1 ratio). How it does on the freeway is going to depend on what the gear ratio in the axle is and the tire size. If I was going to guess... its' going to suck on the freeway. Either that or it's going to suck around town because the ratio will be too tall to work well with a 3 speed. But in a truck, it's most likely going to have a low axle ratio - 3.73 or 4.11 - and it'll spin some stupid revs on the freeway.

You might be able to find a 4 speed that's compatible with the bell housing (that 6 uses a different bell housing than the V8), then you could put taller gears in the back to take advantage of more (and if you get the right 4 speed, wider) ratios and get the freeway revs down.

... or you could just put a V8 in there, and have overdrive transmissions available. Even overdrive automatics (700R4 is easy).

DannyT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Tyler
    Those engines are damn near bulletproof, in my experience.

I have to agree here. I had one with a 3 speed manual in a 69 Nova. I literally tried to blow it up and couldnt do it. Put it on the interstate and wound it up over 100 mph, all the lights finally came on, she slowed down. We pulled over, topped off the oil and water. Drove the damn thing for another 3 years without any mechanical issues. Car was t-boned by a 16 year old running a red light.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Wait, you have a 302 AND a 4.8 Vortec? 4.8L is about 292 ci...

3rd gear is going to be direct drive (1:1 ratio). How it does on the freeway is going to depend on what the gear ratio in the axle is and the tire size. If I was going to guess... its' going to suck on the freeway. Either that or it's going to suck around town because the ratio will be too tall to work well with a 3 speed. But in a truck, it's most likely going to have a low axle ratio - 3.73 or 4.11 - and it'll spin some stupid revs on the freeway.

You might be able to find a 4 speed that's compatible with the bell housing (that 6 uses a different bell housing than the V8), then you could put taller gears in the back to take advantage of more (and if you get the right 4 speed, wider) ratios and get the freeway revs down.

... or you could just put a V8 in there, and have overdrive transmissions available. Even overdrive automatics (700R4 is easy).

Yeah I have a 99 chevy and a 73 F100

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Yeah If I can get the guy to trade I figured i could save up and do a swap. Id rather have an auto for traffic anyway. I could just put a "slap" shifter in it. A 4BT cummins swap would be cool.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Been waiting for the guy to call me back. Maybe he will. Would be a good test of the truck driving it back if he wanted to trade. 2 hr drive

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    eh ohwell its a no go. Too bad my trucks a POS and my boats a POS, or Id have the cash.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    eh ohwell its a no go. Too bad my trucks a POS and my boats a POS, or Id have the cash. Seems like when you need something(tired of putting money into the worst year P/U chevy has made) you dont have any money, but when you dont you have money.

Hows it in my best interest to have a truck that constantly has problems? I just found out the Cat is about out, and bank 2 is running lean. Could be 02 sensor but knowing this truck itll be something big. and thats ontop of the rear end is about to go out, and it needs new steering. shocks/springs, and tires. Just put glass in it fixed the ac, seals in the rear(axle) new oil pan. engine knocks(but im told this engine does that) itll need brake(both pads and disks) in the next few months. I bet if I sat and thought about it I could think of a few more things it needs.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Better yet - have HIM drive to YOU. That way, HE's proving the trucks roadworthy....or not!

Yeah, the time to check that stuff out is before you buy. It's better to tow it back to him and say "yeah, it's a POS" than to tow it the rest of the way home, staring at that BOS that says "as-is" and kicking yourself for being so stupid.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    eh ohwell its a no go. Too bad my trucks a POS and my boats a POS, or Id have the cash. Seems like when you need something(tired of putting money into the worst year P/U chevy has made) you dont have any money, but when you dont you have money.

Hows it in my best interest to have a truck that constantly has problems? I just found out the Cat is about out, and bank 2 is running lean. Could be 02 sensor but knowing this truck itll be something big. and thats ontop of the rear end is about to go out, and it needs new steering. shocks/springs, and tires. Just put glass in it fixed the ac, seals in the rear(axle) new oil pan. engine knocks(but im told this engine does that) itll need brake(both pads and disks) in the next few months. I bet if I sat and thought about it I could think of a few more things it needs.

Brakes are easy to do yourself, IIRC the cat on those plug up and cause a lean code on one bank. Lean code will not be an oxygen sensor, though. Check for vacuum leaks, including intake manifold. Smoke machine is the hot ticket, but you can get it done by methodically spraying small amounts of carb cleaner in areas you suspect a leak and listening for the engine to run differently.

Brakes are easy. Do 'em yourself and save a ton of money.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Im doing half of the stuff myself. But I just had to spend 6-7 k on my place put thousands into the truck already and have thousands more to put into it. for something else to screw up because its a 99. dont forget the shorted wiring/switches, among other things. The things a money pit Ive never had a vehicle like this before. literally every time I drive somewhere its some BS

Top Bottom