Lynx Defense

How do you handle street people asking for money?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I was born & raised in South Austin, been here for 54 years. Growing up we didn't have homeless/street people as we see now but we did have hobos passing thru. My experiences were with train hoppers since we lived close to a train track. These folk, mostly men, would come up to the house and ask to speak to my parents. They would politely ask for water and/or a meal but offered to do some work in exchange. The work could be raking leaves, picking up workshop trash, splitting wood or just a good conversation with my parents. Now, for the most part, it's a sorry lot of liars-druggies-drunks-lazies that take advantage of one of Austin's mistakes: allowing/protecting them with little demands from them. When they try to hit me up, I try not to acknowledge them, say no or wave them off.

Just curious, did you grow up near the Slaughter/ Manchaca train tracks?
    Hurley's Gold

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    It goes like this:
    "Do I look like I have any money?"
    Then I tap them for some spare change.

I do that all the time!

Flash

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    The aggresive demcrat pan handlers in Dallas like to wait for folks to get stopped in traffic..run up and wash their windshield uninvited and demand money. Thats where pepper spray could come in real handly.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I used to keep 15-20 $1 bills in the console and hand out a few dollars to folks back when panhandling was uncommon. Then, it got stupid popular, so I got more selective who got a handout.

Fast forward a few months, and while sitting in my car a long way back from a red light, I saw a "homeless guy shift change". What happened was I watched a "homeless dude get out of a late model passenger van, walk up to the guy already on the street, and the guy on the corner walked over to the van. He got in and the van left, with the new guy now on the corner. The van, with several other homeless looking folks, drove away.

I'm now convinced it is an organized effort, and I won't give them squat.

ON a funny note, I saw a guy on an intersection with a sign asking for "donations" to help him get to OK City...but the funny thing was the sign wasn't the typical cardboard marker sign, it was a white laminated sign with large letters, professionally made by some shop. I couldn’t believe some folks were funding the guy!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The mooches that really torque me off are the ones that bother you while you’re seated eating at a restuarant.
    Its always the same B.S.
    My name is Joe Blow. I’m from (a town about 50-75miles away) and my car broke down, ran out of gas, or whatever. Can you give me something?

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    I couldn’t believe some folks were funding the guy!
    I had a condo in galvez next to the walmart and one day a guys parked illegally pretending like he ran out of gas right there, mooching.
    Next day guy is in the same spot, same scam.
    I rush down there just as a girl is giving him some cash and loudly proclaim "hey it's kinda funny you ran out of gas in this same spot yesterday"
    Good times

Chili Palmer2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2017
    Austin
    Just curious, did you grow up near the Slaughter/ Manchaca train tracks?
    Man, that was the sticks(rural) when I was growing up. No, I grew up by one of the Gateways to South Austin, off of South Lamar/Treadwell. This part of South Austin was so semi-rural that our caliche rock street was paved around 1970. A lot of open land in the pre-Slaughter area which was great for a kid that liked spending time outside.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Back when I lived in Corpus Christi, they had a horrendous homeless problem. There was actually a “homeless city” in Flour Bluff on a large parcel of land owned by a Canadian Corporation. Finally the state stepped in and cleared out that little shanty town and ran everyone off. Then they set up on the beach in an area that was between where Nueces County ended Padre Island National Seashore started. This few miles of beach was in Kleeburg county, but was hardly ever patrolled because the Kleeburg Sheriff’s Deputies had to make a couple hour road trip through Corpus Christi to get to their little 3 miles of beach. So the homeless and the meth heads started living there together, and collecting stolen vehicles and some old junky RV’s and tent/cardboard dwellings. That was a very rough area for a few years. Finally the State Police came in and ran them out of there and brought a dozer in to drag all the vehicles and RV’s off the beach. I moved out of the area around that time so I have no idea where they all settled after that.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom