Guns International

How have you faired during the hurricane?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roberthleeii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    As this hurricane is winding down for us I wanted to see how everyone else fared. I am assuming if you can reply to this you are not in horrible shape and I think we are all thankfully for that. I am also sure that there are many who are not in the position to spend time on the internet and we need to keep them in our thoughts as well.

I live in Copperfield and have been very lucky. I think that most of us here in Copperfield are mostly dry and with power. Although there seem to be dozens of us with leaky fireplaces. I have never even used my fireplace and it is leaking into my living room. Thankfully I quick run through with the Shop-Vac drains the water and stops it from running my floor any more. From looking at maps I think my area of the neighborhood is higher than almost all of Houston and I have not seen the water even get to my grass. It has only gotten about 2/3 up the curb down my street, and watching my drainage ditch/creek it has not been much higher than ½ full. Again, we have been super lucky.

I am a teacher and have been checking on the schools here in Cy-Fiar and it seems that Cy-Ranch High School and Bridgeland High School are not going to come out of this in good shape.

So how is everybody? Friends? Family? Is there anything we can do to help each other?

Hope you are all dry and safe,

Robert Lee

(edit: sorry for the typo in the title. I can't change it)
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I'm in Bridgeland, and we have been very blessed. I'm absolutely amazed that even though we've seen a LOT of water ponding and flowing in the area, that we have maintained power for damned near every minute of it. Even MORE amazing, is that our water and sewer are STILL fully functional. Nearly all homes in this area are still dry (BL, Blackhorse, Cypress Creek Lakes, etc.).

There are a lot of folks reporting they have suffered roof leaks, mostly from failed roof jacks around the HVAC or water heater exhausts. Beyond that, there's water in our streets but very very few homes have taken any water. The developers deserve a lot of praise for building the homes well above grade.

Our Facebook groups have been incredibly humbling examples of Texas tenacity and generosity. It's a mix of emotions for sure, but within minutes of someone posting a need there's plans being made to meet that need. From baby formula delivery, to stitches, even preparations for a baby delivery. We're already planning the community wide survival party too. Nobody here cares where you're from or where you're going, if we can help, we're going to do our best.

Cy-Ranch probably has a little water in there, I was on Fry Rd. in front of it today (have pics, if you're curious). Not sure about Bridgeland High, there's a LOT of water on the road leading out that way and few people have even attempted it.

9uc

Bible/Gun carrying Christian Conservative
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2015
    Humble, TX
    So far, here in the Humble/Atascocita area due east of Bush International, we are still high and "dry" despite having our rain gage register over 30 inches of rain in the past 2 and a half days. Had a few power outages, one lasting about 2 hours, but happened so early by the time I got up and got dress, power came back on so I did not have to fire up the on loan genny. Water coming down the street has come up over the curb several times and covered the sidewalk but dissipates within a reasonable time after breaks in the rain.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    We are on the west side of Galveston Bay. I got some water in my bedroom but it was manageable.

Saturday morning, our entire neighborhood was a huge lake. Been here 25 years and never saw anything even close to this! Baytown is flooded from Cedar Bayou. Many of my friends and former co-workers live in Pinehurst. They are flooded to the roofs of the houses.

We are on a ridge of 34-38 feet here and our problems were from incredibly heavy rains. Water was lapping at the front porch of my house. Been here 25 years and have never seen anything like this! Not even close!

We are relatively free of water here, but there is NO PLACE we can go! We are trapped here.

Walmart on 146 is flooded and Garth road is closed. Garth road is swamped from Cedar Bayou.

Flash

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Anyone heard from Tejano Scott?? I'm trying to think of who else lives in that area. What about Jakash and Savage? There's a few others but their names are escaping me at the moment.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Being from Florida and going many hurricanes, so glad I'm high and dry up in Dallas. Hope the everybody makes it through this storm. But amazed to see how Texas are handling themselves in this disaster. The world has notice too.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    We're in Oak Forest, just north of the 290/610 interchange. Most of our immediate neighborhood stayed dry with no interruptions to power, water, sewer, or internet service. Neighborhoods a little farther out from us got minor water damage or temporary service outages.

Other parts of town along the bayous are still underwater water and won't see much reduction for a while as both Barker and Addicks reservoirs are at record levels and they both drain into the bayou system.

Our range in the Addicks reservoir has 15 feet of water over what would be the ground. We're not getting back into that range for at least three months, probably more.

joking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2015
    Houston
    I'm in the North end of 1464. We were lucky to have water and power the whole time. Water did go up to the sidewalk but all gone now.

Here is a picture this afternoon. A Black Hawk, I think, being refuel.
    afd49956240d0695b9ecac6b728e6ead.jpg

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    We arent in houston, but just north of beaumont. Still getting pounded by rains. Ive been lucky. As of last report from my wife about 10:30 pm, the house was still about 6-12" from the water. Im waiting nervously for the next report when she wakes up again. Im flooded in at work in beaumont with no way to get home due to road closures. I can tell that we still have power (wifi weather station still reporting as well as the wifi thermostat). At least half the guys I work with have water damage and some of those have been in the same home for 30+ years and never flooded.

e657997a5b53526ac212bf3d9e5a14f5.jpg
    4c918bd9d126a9502f3edab1f14c90d8.jpg

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    In West University Place
    Allison: Lost home 3 blocks from current home to flood waters.

Designed/built current home with FF 36" above grade in 2002.
    Fool me once ....

Harvey: water never got past sidewalks and no power outage.
    Thankfully, unscathed this time through a combination of luck, and planning.

Sad to say that another crop of folks, relatively new to Houston, will no longer have to wonder/ask why I built our current home, now 15 years old, so high above grade ...

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I got a Facebook notification that he had checked in as OK.

Ben, how are things for you in Spring? My buddy who lives there is OK, but the two neighborhoods adjacent to him near 45 & Louetta were flooded bad.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ben, how are things for you in Spring? My buddy who lives there is OK, but the two neighborhoods adjacent to him near 45 & Louetta were flooded bad.
    I'm a couple of hundred yards from Spring Creek but up a slope. We got soaked, of course (over 50 inches), but never even had standing water in the street. In my location, things are fine. There are houses with major damage within range of a well-shot arrow. I feel very lucky and very blessed. Thanks for asking.

tangoparson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2017
    No work is the worst part.
    Then lack of food, but that's on me.
    But restaurants & Kroger now open

Kroger has 90% of our stores open. 2 were total losses and 2 or 3 lost refrigeration long enough to lose all the product but can reopen as soon as they are restocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    The Barker Reservoir is on a downward curve . I did not flood and I wont. The neighborhood a couple blocks away had water in the streets.

Top Bottom