• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Looks like another troll post, and I surely don't approve of foreigners using our hunting laws to buy a firearm for a one-time hunting trip.

If a foreigner cannot legally bring his firearms into this country for a hunting trip, he surely should not be able to purchase a firearm here either.

Beware of all foreign posts!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Did a post get deleted or something, when did he say he wanted to go hunting? And where did your change of attitude come from Shortround?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    You can buy from a private individual in a face to face sale, such as in the parking lot at Walmart, but that gets a bit tricky. If the person selling you a gun has "reason to believe" you have lived here less than 90 days he would be committing a serious crime. After 90 days there would be no problem and you don't have to show proof to the private individual, only the dealer.

I am pretty sure the 90 day rule is only to purchase from FFL. It does not apply to FTF. He can buy a gun as soon as he is a resident of Texas, assuming no other DQs.

ETA:

never mind, I see it was hidden in the definition of what a resident is. So technically I was correct "He can buy a gun as soon as he is a resident of Texas", but unlike a citizen who is a resident on day 1 an alien is not considered a resident for 90 days.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I am pretty sure the 90 day rule is only to purchase from FFL. It does not apply to FTF. He can buy a gun as soon as he is a resident of Texas, assuming no other DQs.

ETA:

never mind, I see it was hidden in the definition of what a resident is. So technically I was correct "He can buy a gun as soon as he is a resident of Texas", but unlike a citizen who is a resident on day 1 an alien is not considered a resident for 90 days.
    Exactly. I think they should change that definition, and I don't think it would withstand SCOTUS test for constitutionality, but it is what it is.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Looks like another troll post, and I surely don't approve of foreigners using our hunting laws to buy a firearm for a one-time hunting trip.

If a foreigner cannot legally bring his firearms into this country for a hunting trip, he surely should not be able to purchase a firearm here either.

He's coming here to live and work not to hunt. I for one am glad some decent folks still want to immigrate to our country.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights.

My God didn't see the borders that man has created making countries. Nor did He see one countryman other more entitled than the other when giving them rights.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Hi, this is great. Where I can read this?
    Wow, now that the 90day rule is gone, your writing in English seems to have improved dramatically in just 45 days.

I kinda smell something too.
    However if in fact this is due to hard work and you're legally immigrating to the US - Welcome

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I'm come from Sankt Wendel, is in the near from the France and Luxemburg Border. 20 Min. to largest Air Base (Ramstein) for USAirforce in Europe.

Rainer

First and foremost, welcome to Texas! I was born in Frankfurt, raised in Germany (American father and German mother) and was later stationed at Ramstein from 1995-99 (we lived out past Sembach), and I have been back to the "old country" numerous times since (I was just in Heidelberg last month).

I think you will like it here, there is a strong German heritage in Texas as many immigrated here in the 19th Century, and over 17% of the state population claims at least some partial German ancestry. It is the third-largest national-origin group in the state.

Germans first immigration to Texas in the 1830s, and tended to cluster in ethnic enclaves. A majority settled in a broad, fragmented belt across the south central part of the state. This belt stretched from Galveston and Houston on the east to Kerrville, Mason, and Hondo in the west; from the fertile, humid Coastal Plain to the semiarid Hill Country. This German Belt included most of the Teutonic settlements in the state, both rural and urban.

That info, and more, can be found in the Texas Handbook Online.

You should have no problems purchasing a firearm once if you have the proper documentation and have established residency. Hopefully some of our more friendly Houston brethren will offer to take you out to the range to let you get a chance to do some shooting once you get here. If you were closer to San Antonio, I'd gladly show you the ropes. It's the Texan thing to do.

Again, I hope your move goes well and please become an active member of this forum as it will be interesting to hear your experiences coming here and picking up this hobby. Some people don't realize that it was the Germans that started the schützenverein or marksmanship clubs when they got to Texas, probably the first formalized shooting matches in this state. There are a still a few left in Boerne, New Braunfels, Frederickberg, Quihi and Grapetown; I'm sure they'd love to have you come participate!

Tschüss! M2

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Let us know when you get here, there are plenty of folks who will help you get accustomed to Texas.

I am sure you will find a few folks that will be more than happy to take you to your first gun show. Did that with the SO's co-worker from Spain last year, his eye's just about fell out of his head.

So some things to know about America.

Our laws tell you what you can not do, unlike Germany where they tell you what you can. LOL.

American soldiers are souvenir hunters. We like beating the crap out of other countries armies and taking their stuff to sell later at home or keep. So in the US you will find a whole lot of stuff that is pretty much shunned in Germany and Europe from a darker time in your countries history. Here a lot of items are considered more historical artifact and less political in nature than in other places. So expect to see, and please don't be offended by a lot of war trophies you will see and be able to purchase.

I absolutely love the years I spent in Germany, especially during reunification. (Well not so much in the spring when it got warm and the farmers fertilized their crops around Wurzburg and Kitzengen, and we had maneuvers in it LOL)

gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    Welcome to Texas! I spent 3 years in Germany near Bitburg. Sankt Wendel is a nice village, we went there a couple times for different things.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    First of all Welcome to Texas!!! You're going to love it here. I was stationed in Germany for about 6 years (friedburg, giessen, kirchgons, all in Hesse, among other bases). It is a beautiful country but I couldn't wait to get back to Texas.

As for your question I believe that others have answered it sufficiently above. I just wanted to welcome you to our great state.

taupro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2012
    Houston and Germany
    Hi M2 and all other,

thank you for your welcome.
    Texas is so beautiful !! I love the freedom and lifestile from Texas.
    I hope, I can hear more from you.

The best whishes to all Texaner :patriot:

alamogeorge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    San Antonio
    The info in this post was timely, or the fact that I read it was. I had an asian sounding guy with almost no english call me about my gun for sale. He had almost no english and asked about my .270 A-bolt (It's actually a 7mm) "How I buy?" I asked him if he was a Texas resident and he told me "No. I just get here." RED FLAGS. Foreign dude just get's here and wants to buy what could be used as a sniper rifle on the day he gets here? "You no buy!"

Top Bottom