Patriot Mobile

How many .22 rounds do you typically shoot at targets?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Another thing…when I bring/invite other shooters to the range, they are typically folks who seldom shoot or have never shot. At these range visits, we may go through a lot of ammo, and it’s almost all .22LR and a few 9MM and maybe .223 just for a “cool” factor for them.

A few months back, I brought a friend and his two sons (19 & 23). All very new shooters. They had a great time. I had a .22 AR, a .22 Henry, and a Glock 44. I gave them each a new box of 325 rounds Federal Automatch. They rotated through the guns a few times each for over an hour. They shot up all the rounds, and Dad ended up giving some of his ammo to his sons.

I probably pulled the trigger less then 20 times the whole session, mostly to demonstrate shooting techniques and operation.

One of the best range sessions I’ve had in a while!

Last edited:

scattergun6

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    Just shot my first ARA match earlier this week - .22LR benchrest. At 50 yards, targets are an 11x17 card with 25 bulls, each about the size of a quarter. In order to get full score for the bull, you must put your entire 22 caliber round within the inner circle, which is about the size of a dime. A match consists of 4 cards, 25 rounds each, plus sighters. With practice and the match, about 175 rounds, give or take. Some guys will shoot twice that much.
    It's a real kick - I think I'm hooked!

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    About 700, or so. My wife insists on a brick for her. I usually take a few hundred for me. She burns rounds with a Winchester 62 and a Ruger 10-22. I shoot a High Standard HD Military, and a Colt Woodsman. She usually runs out and snatchs a hand full of mine before I get done. We are generally shooting side by side on the 25 yard range.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    Just shot my first ARA match earlier this week - .22LR benchrest. At 50 yards, targets are an 11x17 card with 25 bulls, each about the size of a quarter. In order to get full score for the bull, you must put your entire 22 caliber round within the inner circle, which is about the size of a dime. A match consists of 4 cards, 25 rounds each, plus sighters. With practice and the match, about 175 rounds, give or take. Some guys will shoot twice that much.
    It's a real kick - I think I'm hooked!
    Open sights only?

scattergun6

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    Open sights only?
    No, any scope size. There is a Factory Class which is a rifle with a box or tube magazine, of current manufacture. The Unlimited Class is almost anything else that is single shot. I just measured and the complete bull is the size of a quarter, but the inner full-value (100 pts) circle is smaller than a dime. The intermediate, dime sized circle will get you 50 pts.
    It would be quite hard to see the bulls at 50 yds without a scope, as they are not a darkened circle, but just a line drawing.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …… I just measured and the complete bull is the size of a quarter, but the inner full-value (100 pts) circle is smaller than a dime. The intermediate, dime sized circle will get you 50 pts…

Not mine, but shot at 50 with an unlimited Anschutz sporting a 10-50x60.
    5b3c8eee7855a016cdb61ea9a00dab9d.jpg

KADFW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2022
    Collin County
    If it's just me shooting then 0-50 rounds. If I bring someone with me then I will bring a box of 500-1k with me so they can shoot as much as they want.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    500-600, if we don't bring new shooters...

We've gone through more if we bring new shooters, as they LOVE hitting steel with a red-dot Ruger Mark-series pistol,
    it's almost too easy, and tons of fun...

That reminds me I still haven't brought out my Ruger Stainless 6.88" Hunter after I put a low-profile mount and new red dot on it...
    BUT it's too damned hot these days, so waiting for cooler weather, as I don't want to drop extra coin at an air-conditioned range-fee, when I have a family yearly membership at an outdoor range, already.

Then again... my wife just quit her second job (was her primary, then her backup, while she looked), as she finally found an MA job in the area after we moved near Tyler, and I do have some extra funds, after paying bills, and this is her first weekend work-free in many weeks...
    She really wants to shoot the PS-90.

Top Bottom