• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I had some 7mm rem mag that I loaded up. On its 4th loading.

Anyway, I have been just neck sizing them (lee collet,) I hadn't had a problem. Just a little harder to put in the chamber. Anyway, this last time, there were several rounds that I could not close the bolt on. I figured they just needed to be full length sized. . . .but I wanted to check with yall.

Thanks.

The brass looks good, though I really only wanted to put 4, maybe 5 loading on the brass.
    Venture Surplus ad

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    a fella with lots of reloading history told me this once... you can reload the shells as long as you keep the length the length its supposed to be. he also told me how to check to see if your case head is begining to seperate from the rest of the case. as long as your not seeing pressure cracks in the case, then your good. to check for cracks inside the case, take a paper clip and put a little angle (L) on the clip and pull it up and down inside the case, running it alog the wall of the case to see if there is any case head seperation happening. ive reloaded some .223 cases about 6 times before i started seeing cracks in the case. some people might say this is the ultimate sin, but if the case is holding up, why throw it away?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    If you can't close the bolt that should be sounding alarm bells! No foolin', that's a serious warning sign. Check the brass overall length and trim as needed. Please don't fire any more rounds until you find the cause. Check back & tell us what you found!

As to how many times to size, I use a batch of brass and when several start to show cracks, I condemn the whole batch. Your 7mm mag is is a high performance round and is probably going to be tough on brass. It is also tough on barrels. The fact that it is a belted case and should headspace on the belt, the forward end is jammed up into the barrel throat. That spells high pressure! Are the primers showing pressure signs?

Flash

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You may need to bump size it, and for that you'll need a FL die. That way you aren't working the entire case.

Check all the lengths, and are you turning your necks?

TrooperKbC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Anyway, I have been just neck sizing them (lee collet,) I hadn't had a problem. Just a little harder to put in the chamber. Anyway, this last time, there were several rounds that I could not close the bolt on.

That is not a shoulder issue because you have already fired these cases in your rifle; it is almost definately a COL issue. Each time you fire it the neck expands to release the bullet and gets elongated due to the pressure on the brass causing the metal to flow along the path of least resistance(head and neck). It is normal for brass to get longer as it is used. Get a lee case trimmer for about $5 made for that caliber and trim to the correct length. That's the cheapest and most likely route. A full lenth sizer would cost 3 times as much and could degrade your accuracy.

The neck die helps with unevenness and diameter to an extent. Turning your necks is more for when they are too thick or uneven in diameter, not length. Yours, on the other hand sound like they are becoming too thin. Also, most reloaders don't neck turn and that suggests it is not necessary unless you are competition shooting or wildcatting. Plus, neck turners cost more than the trimmer or the die. ;)

Now to answer your original question: "How many times can you neck size?"
    Well, it depends on the brass and load. Some people claim to get 15 loads from their more consistent and heavier Lapua brass, while people using cheapo brass may claim to only get a few reloads. Obviously, magnum loads will wear out the brass faster than lighter calibers.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    Don't forget to anneal the case necks when they begin to crack. Firing and sizing back will work harden the necks.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'll make sure and check the length of the brass, maybe tomorrow, when I have time. I already own a Full length sizer. I have trimmed this brass once.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    From my experience you can neck size 4 to 6 times before you will need to bump the shoulder back a bit to get the cartridges to chamber without using a cheater pipe on the bolt handle.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I saw the title "How many times can you neck size" and thought you were talking about some kind of new workout or something. LOL

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Depending on the chamber you are going to get a lot of growth. As these cases are belted mag cases I wouldn't push it myself on number of reloads. You can anneal as someone mentioned but I wouldn't do that "after" the cases split? I would not be surprised if Over all length is your problem mixed with a little bit of bump back.

This aside how awesome are the lee collet dies for the price? They keep things pretty dang straight. I wouldn't neck turn unless you are shooting comp which you are not.

Again though my two cents is don't push the reloads too many times.. 4 - 5 is pretty good imho. Its not like you are using Lapua brass.

jcm

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    ...You can anneal as someone mentioned but I wouldn't do that "after" the cases split?
    jcm

If you have a quantity of cases from the same lot # and some start to neck crack, then it's time to anneal the rest of them. Just want to clarify...

happy1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Surprise, AZ
    All Brass will stretch the first time it is fired and after it's full length sized. Neck sizing only sizes the mouth of the case to put enough tension to hold the bullet.

Paul

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It is normal for neck sized brass to start to get hard to chamber. Run it through the full length sizer once and you are good to go again.

Do be sure to check for head seperation and all that too. A high performance round like yours is hard on brass if you are loading them heavy.

Top Bottom