how much do you pay in taxes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DCortez, Oct 5, 2009.

1. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Do you know how much you pay in taxes? I was talking to 308nato and usmcpmi and told them once I realized how much tax I was paying, it really cheesed me off. The more aware I became of government spending, entitlement programs (from welfare to $200 cases of coke for soldiers in Iraq), bridges to nowhere, George Bush flying onto aircraft carriers, Mission Accomplished signs, DOHbama date nights, DOHbama Olympics pitches, etc., it really really cheesed me off.

My wife uses Peachtree Accounting to keep very detailed records of our money and can account for every cent. I turn in a receipt for every cent I spend. So, I am very aware of being taxed.

Anyway, enough ranting ...

http://www.babeled.com/2009/04/22/how-much-do-you-really-pay-in-taxes/

from another thread

http://www.api.org/statistics/fueltaxes/upload/Gasoline_Map_7-2009.pdf

2. Greg_TX

Greg_TX Well-Known

Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Well, one tax I'm most aware of now that school is in session is the Klein ISD school tax. Not as high as some districts, that not my issue - what pisses me off is that I paid just over $3400 to these people last year and I still have to write a check for $11.00 for a damn P.E. uniform. :mad:

3. Jason

Jason Well-Known

Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    One year I paid about $14,000 in federal... now thanks to the guy posing as president I will be lucky to make $14,000 next year.

4. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Nearly every single aspect of our daily lives have been carefully calculated individual values and are taxed accordingly. True property ownership no longer exists because of this, which is a concept most people cannot understand.

5. viking

viking New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Cedar Park
    What pizzes me off is the sales tax thing. How many times do you have to pay it on used merchandize. You pay it on new item, then it is traded in, sold, tax paid again. It never ends. And don't forget about the taxes that went into the material, the transportation, the labor, to get it to and from the manufacture and then to the shelves. It never, never ends.

6. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    All I can say is too much. We all know it is a necessary evil. Think about this for a minute, and I am just spitballing here, but, what if you could tell the Federal Government what they could spend your money on, and what they couldnt? Could you imagine the programs that would fold overnight? Could you imagine the underfunded programs that are actually a good idea could get the financing they needed? The Government is a business, plain and simple and we get to see every day just how bad our elected officials are at running a business......

7. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Here we are discussing one of the same reasons the 1st revolution was fought!
    Funny how things come full circle!

8. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    Property tax is what really yanks my chain,one of the most unfair taxes, basically we pay rent(to school district) on a home we worked 80 years for (combined worked years for both spouse and myself) so yeah that is my pet peeve.

9. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Owning a business, I can tell you I pay way more than my fair share. And that is the case despite using every legal trick in the book to abate taxes. And hang on to your hat, they are just getting warmed up.

10. Bigs Wife

Bigs Wife Active Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park
    :icon_popcorn: