• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ambidextrous1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been concerned about being excessively anal and OCD, but the previous posts have dispelled that idea.

I field strip & clean my primary .45 (that's my carry gun) about once a month, usually in combination with casual tinkering & fondling. I detail strip & clean once a year, if I can remember to. I remove the slide and lube it before range sessions, twice a month.

My 60 year old Mossberg .22 RF semi-auto is fired regularly every two weeks and never misfires; I haven't cleaned it in three years, and won't, as long as it gets mostly one hole groups at 25 yards. I lube the bolt before shooting it.

I rotate a lot of rimfire and center fire pistols & a couple of revolvers into brief range sessions, and keep them lubed, but don't clean them unless they misfire, which is rare.

The only exception to this benign neglect is my Para-Ord P14-45; it starts to choke after about 100 rounds if I don.t field strip, clean, & lube it.

I view my firearms as tools: I keep them lubed, and give them more attention when their performance degrades noticeably. :D

Sixlites

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    man I love to clean my guns it is part of how I relax. I may not have shot a gun in years, but i will take it down and clean it when I clean the ones I have shot.
    I may spend three hours cleaning guns every other week. if I shoot some of them I will clean all of them. Just something I like to do. :p

ME TOO!

Bob Loblaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    I'm a glock owner, with a 1911 mindset. I detail strip and clean mine after every session, whether it's 50 or 500 rounds. I'd do the same with the pps if I knew how, but it still gets the field strip everytime. It's probably excessive, but I enjoy the activity. Plus I see it as part of being a responsible gun owner. I love my guns, and it shows.

Bob Loblaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    that seems like alot of trouble for a Glock,

It's more about me than the gun. I'm afraid of developing bad habits. I also wear gloves when I clean it, and wipe off all fingerprints if I remove it from its case. It may be an ugly baby, but it's mine; and I take care of it.

skoro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    West Texas
    I give them a good cleaning after every use. If they sit unused for 6 months or more, they'll get a once over with an oily rag.

NotPC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    DFW
    "I give them a good cleaning after every use. If they sit unused for 6 months or more, they'll get a once over with an oily rag"

I carry a Kimber CDP 3" as my usual carry weapon. This gets cleaned after each range visit and/or monthly if I have not been able to go to the range. I carry in a shoulder holster or belt slide depending on my clothing. Just got a "belly band" for times I absolutely can't use a belt holster.

The second Kimber in my closet is a CDP in 4" and is cleaned when used or monthly when I clean my carry gun, just not detailed as carefully. Both are kept loaded, cocked and locked unless Grandkids are coming over.

NotPC
    DFW Texas

"Calling an Illegal Alien an Undocumented Resident is like calling a Drug Dealer an Unlicensed Pharmacist!!!"

NotPC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    DFW
    "I give them a good cleaning after every use. If they sit unused for 6 months or more, they'll get a once over with an oily rag"

I carry a Kimber CDP 3" as my usual carry weapon. This gets cleaned after each range visit and/or monthly if I have not been able to go to the range. I carry in a shoulder holster or belt slide depending on my clothing. Just got a "belly band" for times I absolutely can't use a belt holster.

The second Kimber in my closet is a CDP in 4" and is cleaned when used or monthly when I clean my carry gun, just not detailed as carefully. Both are kept loaded, cocked and locked unless Grandkids are coming over.

NotPC
    DFW Texas

"Calling an Illegal Alien an Undocumented Resident is like calling a Drug Dealer an Unlicensed Pharmacist!!!"

InHouston

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    i try to at least give them a good wipe and oil after every range visit but i usually only detail clean them once or twice a month if its been a busy month.. i know some glock guys who dont really clean their guns often at all, if any. lol.

After every range visit, and at least once a week I wipe the oil off and relube them. I noticed that after a few days (even with a clean gun), the oil absorbs gunk that the solvent and scrub brushes didn't quite get. So I wipe it all down, and lube it up again.

dtb1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My wife insists on cleaning mine, that way she can keep track of what i have:mad:

But she dont know about the secret stash lol

longtooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Lufkin, Texas
    Mine are cleaned every time they are shot. I have no safe queens so everything I have is a user.
    My wife does not shoot often. Just enough to stay proficient:mad: so once a month or so I clean hers even though it has not been shot.
    In the morning is that day.

glock34insa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    san antonio
    I clean my gun after every 300 rounds as it is a competition gun and i need it to be accurate no matter what. and after about 300 rounds of the ammo that i use i start to get a little build up in the barrel so i use my bore snake and some rem oil

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I clean mine after each range session. I shoot 1911's mostly and detail strip them about once every three months.

My carry weapon gets field stripped and examined, wiped with oil as needed and reassemble every night. This may be OCD but as an army guy I learned to do that in Viet Nam and it has always seemed to be a good practice. I also carry different guns as the mood strikes me.

All my guns are tools and get shot. Some more than others but all get shot during a 2 month period.

edex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I try to clean mine everytime I go to the range, then again, I always go thru at least 100 rounds.

then a light spray of CLP and she's good to go. I'll get back to you on the detail strip red. :o

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    i been lazy on cleaning my guns. apparently im suppose to spend time with the wife and not molest my guns. *shrugs* its been forever since the springer got a bath. but she still spits out like a champ :D:p

73Driver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    North of Houston
    Cleaning

1911s (6) Field strip and clean after each range session, between 100 and 250 rounds per trip. After 1500 rounds, I detail strip and check for cracks, spring problems, etc. Three month in the safe and they go on the rag.

Colt Gunsite CCO, my personal CCW, shot once a month with 50 rounds. It gets a detailed strip and clean each time.

H&K USPC 40, not mine but I get to play with it, 1000 rounds a month and cleaned.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Coriolis308
    Top Bottom