Venture Surplus ad

How significant is practicing shooting tight groups for your range practice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alterspaces

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    I go with at least 10 mags stuffed. 20% range sessions spent on groups. The rest is rapid fire fun. Then gtfo
    I actually did this once. Just to have fun blasting. After the 2nd time, I realized I should go with the magazines already full, saves time at the range when you only get 1 hr, don't want to waste it reloading. good advice.
    Venture Surplus ad

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Accuracy comes with practice.

Keep shooting from the draw. Focus on a good front sight picture. Proper trigger technique. Accuracy will come.

alterspaces

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    I turn targets over, and shoot the back.
    I'll place several 1" dots to aim at.
    I’m also a huge fan of dot torture as a practical exercise.
    Man! Thanks for the dot torture suggestion. It never even occurred to me to look up drills lol, but now that I know, I found Lucky Gunner Ammo has a 17-drill playlist on youtube. Can't wait to go tmr to practice a few of these on these targets I just drew on the back of a used target. You can see a few dot torture targets on here haha.

IMG_7198.JPG
    Gonna try to shoot some 2-in dots at 3 yds.

Stretz Tactical

TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2023
    United States
    Handguns are the most difficult platform to learn to shoot accurately. Accuracy under stress is the first thing to fall apart - lethal encounter, force on force training, competition or training under a shot timer most shooters will experience a drop in their accuracy. Shooting is a perishable skill. So accuracy has to become a premium in your training in my opinion. I am teaching 2 handgun marksmanship classes in Texas - one June 29 at Big Tex Ordnance Range in the Houston area and another on September 14th in the DFW area. Here is a link to the class info:
    Marksmanship class info

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    When I did my practicing it was during my IHMSA days so accuracy was important. That was about 40 years ago, now when I shoot (different guns today) I shoot pretty good groups.
    IHMSA shooters routinely shoot MOA groups at 200 meters. With handguns. Without any benchrest or other static support besides their own body.

When most people talk about handgun accuracy, that sort of standard never enters their mind. It's another world. Hell, even Jeff Cooper used to make fun of unlimited class silhouette because he simply couldn't envision a need for better-than-rifle accuracy from handguns.

Most people consider handgun accuracy in a self defense frame of reference. I'm willing to bet that even the course being promoted above isn't really a pure marksmanship course. I doubt it allows students to take the 24 seconds per shot of silhouette and certainly not the 2 minutes per shot traditionally allowed in free pistol.

To most people, pure marksmanship is useless. To most people, a high level of marksmanship with a pistol is hitting a 6 inch circle at 25 yards in a "reasonable" amount of time, for some arbitrary definition of reasonable.

The days have long passed when regular shooters dreamed of doing this:

1000000937.jpg

Stretz Tactical

TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2023
    United States
    IHMSA shooters routinely shoot MOA groups at 200 meters. With handguns. Without any benchrest or other static support besides their own body.

When most people talk about handgun accuracy, that sort of standard never enters their mind. It's another world. Hell, even Jeff Cooper used to make fun of unlimited class silhouette because he simply couldn't envision a need for better-than-rifle accuracy from handguns.

Most people consider handgun accuracy in a self defense frame of reference. I'm willing to bet that even the course being promoted above isn't really a pure marksmanship course. I doubt it allows students to take the 24 seconds per shot of silhouette and certainly not the 2 minutes per shot traditionally allowed in free pistol.

To most people, pure marksmanship is useless. To most people, a high level of marksmanship with a pistol is hitting a 6 inch circle at 25 yards in a "reasonable" amount of time, for some arbitrary definition of reasonable.

The days have long passed when regular shooters dreamed of doing this:

View attachment 451708
    If you are referring to my class above, it is purely an accuracy class. It includes slow fire and timed fire and more importantly demos of what you can do with a stock gun (usually I shoot a glock) and how you can take what I teach home and keep working towards achieving your accuracy goals. Everyone has a different idea of what accuracy means to them and some people don’t realize how accurate you can be with a pistol. Some people (& some swat teams) think if you go out & buy an expensive 19/2011 you will magically put them all in the same whole out to infinity by switching from a popular striker fired gun. While there are definitely many guns capable of outshooting most shooters, it comes down to “the singer and not the song” or “the Indian and not the arrow”. Proper training on how to become an accurate shooter, what accurate means and how the inaccurate shooter can get there is the way.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you are referring to my class above, it is purely an accuracy class. It includes slow fire and timed fire and more importantly demos of what you can do with a stock gun (usually I shoot a glock) and how you can take what I teach home and keep working towards achieving your accuracy goals.
    Thanks for the additional info.

I've taken Brian Zin's class twice. I'll never forget what he told me in the middle of the first class. He asked me what I wanted out of the class and I told him I wanted to be better when I went to matches. Paraphrasing here, he jumped in with "Oh, no, no, no, no. Going to competition for you is a waste of time and money. You're nowhere near good enough to enter matches."

:)

So I deeply appreciate the value of classes that reinforce the fundamentals. I'm always happy to see instructors doing that so thanks for putting together a class like this.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I divide my range time into two sessions, first I shoot a variety of pistols striving for X ring, when my wrists get tired and the sights begin to wander (more than usual) I take a 15 minute break clean the target guns then begin presentation and defense shooting with my two carry weapons. Typical session about 240 rounds total, 20-40 of which are .22 target

Top Bottom