• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I am buying a Winchester safe on Saturday. People have told me that U-Haul will have what I need to move it into the house. I'm at U-Haul, and the morons here have absolutely no idea what to recommend.

The safe is 19 cu ft.; 24 gun. My house is one story, with wood floors. If I can just get it out of my truck, and over the front step of my porch, I'm good. I have big dudes to help. What do y'all recommend using?

Exterior dimensions are 59x28x22. Safe is here: http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...-1?N=329211197
    Target Sports

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Refrigerator dolly.
    Furniture skate. (has four wheels and it's flat)

ETA: piano dolly as vaquero said instead of furniture skate.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I recommend using big dudes to help. :) Otherwise, the piano dolly and ramp will be helpful.

Remember, a ramp isn't a piece of plywood with one end propped up on the step. You need to support under the ramp so the ramp doesn't bow from the weight. (stack wood or other items underneath for support or just use the big dudes and manhandle it up the step)

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Sorry to be blunt. Without a visit to your house, I can't answer that. You gotta make the call.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    They have something called an "appliance dolly" that basically looks like a regular 2 wheel dolly on steroids.

http://www.uhaul.com/RentalItems/

Do I need that AND the flat, 4 wheeled "furniture dolly"? If so, when's the transition from one to the other?

Yes and yes. The transition is through the front door. When you tip it to go over the door sill, set it down on the furniture dolly.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Actually, the golf balls will likely do the least damage. Remember that if you put 15-20 of 'em under that safe, each one will have a nominal floor load vs the 4 wheels of a flatbed.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    To save the wood floor, is it possible to man handle the safe through the door and place it on a folded, thick blanket? The blanket would allow you to slide the safe across the floor without the damage you might get from a dirty wheel or with wheels with too small a profile and leaving you with some nasty roll marks. The slider kits would work but only if they are felt type and not plastic bottom as they also pick up any dirt and leave scratches.

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    Don't forget a strap.

I helped my dad get his into the house. Used a Uhaul dolly with strap and I believe the tires were air and not solid and it managed it. Can't remember exactly what model but its a Cannon 32 or so gun one.

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    I use 2" pipe Four of them ,just keep feeding them in the front as they roll out the back .
    If you can lift off the door it will be much easier to handle .

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Actually, the golf balls will likely do the least damage. Remember that if you put 15-20 of 'em under that safe, each one will have a nominal floor load vs the 4 wheels of a flatbed.

This is how they got mine into place rolling over padded kitched vinyl.

Used 24" legths of PVC pipe to get across thresholds.

The safe rode to my place, on it's back. Rolled it out of the bed of a PU truck and down onto the back edge of the safe, leaning against the truck.
    The tilted it forward onto golf balls.

Top Bottom