• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Yep, SAPD was eletronic. Did all my prints on the scanner thing, and they put my cards thru the printer and printed my prints right on the cards. Much easier and no mess! Very easy to do.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, they gave me a web sit to visit and set an appointment.
    Oh I see. Sounds like they are sending you to one of those little L-1 offices in a basement somewhere. Does the PD do electronic or ink prints? Ink carries a risk of being rejected and sent back.

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    UPDATE: Well it finally came in the mail! Just a tad over a month from sending it in via snail mail. The are running about 3 weeks behind from processing them b/c of the amount of applicants with their new laws. About 1 1/2 weeks ago I e-mailed them to check on the status, and they got right back to me and they said it hadn't been processed yet and explained they are short staffed and 3 weeks behind.

Overall, awesome, very easy process!

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Congrats!!!! You know what comes next....

So you got your CHL.

We assumed that you have already chose a proper holster, mag pouch (or suitable combination of substitutes) and cover garment and played dress-up in front of a mirror a couple of hundred times. But now, it is time to go live in the real world. It is time for you to go to WalMart!

1) You must park your vehicle at least 50 yards from the entrance of a regular WallyWorld (75 yards for a SuperCenter.) As you head for the entrance, you must perform a scan of the area including checking under parked vehicles for BG's (Bad Guys.) Remember, grandma in an electric wheelchair is not a drive-by threat.

1A). Upon exiting car, surreptitiously adjust sidearm. Now don't touch it again unless your pants are about to fall off. Then tighten your belt

2) You MUST drive the shopping cart. No substitutes are allowed. Negotiating aisles full of screaming kids dropping cans of Chef Boyardee while Mom is on the cell phone and trying the latest Rosie O'Donnell Makeup & Fragrances is a good test of patience and self-control.

3) No quickies! Your stay at WallyWorld must last no less than 45 minutes. You can hang out in automotive and even double check the Rapala lures to see what's new to kill an allotted rest time of 10 minutes. The rest of the time you must be on the move. An exception is made if you are with your significant other and she goes for the White Sale madness. You must park, wait and be ready to back your mate if things get hairy with the pillow throws or allergenic bedspreads.

4) You are gonna buy stuff so pick items from the top and bottom shelves to test your cover garment. Your mate can assist you and point out any deficiencies. If you are alone and store security or the cops have not arrived by the time you check out, you passed this test.

5) Check out: make sure you choose the busiest register. People will stand in close proximity and you must bear it with patience and avoiding contact. Beware of the people suddenly remembering a forgotten item and sending their mates to fetch it. They usually will brush against you on the way to get it.

6) Meal Time! If your WallyWorld serves Nachos, go ahead and get yourself a big serving of the suckers and wash it down with a Sam’s cola. If McD’s is the choice at the premises, get fries, onion rings, apple pie and a large Coke. ALL MEALS MUST BE CONSUMED ON SITE! No To-Go’s or you will be disqualified.

7) When you leave, repeat the scanning of the parking lot. Remember that now you are also dealing with a shopping cart that rattles like and old train and wants to go right all the time. Do not lose track of your surroundings because of this. If you have a car, open the trunk and introduce all your bags while facing outwards. Pick up Trucks: lower the tailgate and do the same. Keep scanning, you never know where the BG’s might be.

8) REMEMBER: Yellow lights = WallyWorld Security. Red Lights = Cops.

9) - Make test fall on floor in busiest area - near register or anywhere crowded. See if concealment can still be maintained. If you lose that then go back to GO and do NOT collect $200

10) Restroom break (even if you don't have to go), go through the motions, figure out what your going to do with your gun, while sitting on the commode

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Walmarttactical.jpg

TheJayMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Round Rock
    First a little background, when I moved to Texas from Arizona I carried for quite a while on my Arizona permit. I have also continued to renew it. I currently hold a Texas CHL and I'm a DPS certified Texas CHL instructor. Now that all of that is out of the way:

Can you live in Texas and carry on an AZ CCW? Yes. Is it the best idea? Probably not. This scenario did indeed come up during the CHL Instructor course. There are two basic issues, one that's minor, another that could be problematic: Say you're stopped for a traffic infraction. As Texas law requires you present the officer with your Texas driver license and your Arizona CCW (or other recognized out of state permit). The officer will more than likely look at the TX driver license and the out of state pistol permit and ask some questions regarding the mismatch. Chances are he will scratch his head and continue with his business. No big deal. Second, and the more problematic scenario: you have to use your weapon to defend yourself. Needless to say there will be lots of questions asked about everything having to do with your actions in defending yourself. The question will come up as to why you are a Texas resident and don't have a Texas pistol license. Right or wrong, the ADA will raise this fact. Chance are it won't go too far in causing you problems, but it could. At a time like that, do you need the additional questions and issues that saving a few bucks for the AZ permit cause? Mind you this isn't my opinion but that of the Texas DPS officers that teach the CHL course. While it's all legal do you really need the hassle just to save a few bucks? I know the law, as do the ADA and DPS officers, that doesn't mean it won't bite you in the butt to some extent.

Just my take. May the flaming begin ;)

Jay
    NRA Life Member
    TX CHL holder
    AZ CCW holder
    TX CHL Instructor

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Second, and the more problematic scenario: you have to use your weapon to defend yourself. Needless to say there will be lots of questions asked about everything having to do with your actions in defending yourself. The question will come up as to why you are a Texas resident and don't have a Texas pistol license. Right or wrong, the ADA will raise this fact. Chance are it won't go too far in causing you problems, but it could.

I disagree with that. I do agree that some LEOs might be confused by your former scenario.

Best reason for a Texan to get a TX CHL is NICS bypass

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    What would the difference be in a AZ resident with a AZ CCW, using it here in Texas in self defense?

Bottom line, its legal. Plus I can carry it when I go back to Ohio. Can't do that with a Texas CHL

And saving $170+ isn't just a "few bucks" to a 23yr old college kid.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I just hope that Texas wakes up to the proliferation of AZ, FL and other permits and realizes that there needs to be some changes made to our own CHL process.

If enough out of state licenses are issued to Texans, and DPS understands the reasons why, we might see some positive changes in their program.

Hopefully Texans will realize these positive changes from the current system in the future.

Cost Savings,

Quicker turn around time,

More accepted training programs,

Permit valid for a longer period of time.

I agree the best reason to have a Texas CHL over the others is the NCIS check being bypassed. However for me that is not enough reason to outweigh the others.

Texas is in no way leading the pack in this area, quite the opposite, it seems mired in the middle.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    I just hope that Texas wakes up to the proliferation of AZ, FL and other permits and realizes that there needs to be some changes made to our own CHL process.

If enough out of state licenses are issued to Texans, and DPS understands the reasons why, we might see some positive changes in their program.

Hopefully Texans will realize these positive changes from the current system in the future.

Cost Savings,

Quicker turn around time,

More accepted training programs,

Permit valid for a longer period of time.

I agree the best reason to have a Texas CHL over the others is the NCIS check being bypassed. However for me that is not enough reason to outweigh the others.

Texas is in no way leading the pack in this area, quite the opposite, it seems mired in the middle.

All reason's I got a Florida License.
    The NCIS check really doesn't bother me at all.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    Just an FYI.
    Called the Az. DPS CHL office to check on my application status, and was told it's about 6 weeks now due to increased volume of apps.
    I'm almost 5 weeks in, and watching the mail closely.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    Okay Fu*k I have had a bad week so far.
    Just got a letter from the AZ DPS, returning all my application / including a deficiency notice. Highlighted was

"The training certificate provided is insufficient - no indication on certificate that training was conducted by an NRA-certified instructor"

My training cert. is signed and has the instructor and has the instructor number on as well.

I took a Tx CHL 10 hour class, sat thru that miserable long ass day thinking I was doing the right thing. Well I have a call in to the instructor to ask about the NRA cert thing but I have no exceptions she has an NRA certification for training. (and so far no return call)
    So I am back to square one......at least they returned the appl check.

Does anyone know what will suffice to fulfill the Az DPS's training requirements?

Thanks
    J

Top Bottom