• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Lakeway, Tx
    I decided to begin a project. I wanted to get a cheap run of the mill WASR-10 AK-47 and beautify her, til she was worthy enough to put along with my other guns.

Well this week I picked one up and started on it. First I bleached the stocks with lacquer thinner, then sanded them with 120, 180 then 320 grip sand paper. I used red food coloring for dye, and applied 6 coats, washing off excess between coats. After letting them dry I put on 10 light coats of PPG automotive clear coat, sanding with 600 grit in between.

Next I added a "cheese grater" style upper hand guard to add somthing diffrent you don't see every day, then today at the gun show I picked up a AR style bird cage flash hider. I also installed a bolt buffer. Next I'm going to bead blast and polish the bolt carrier, add a smooth top cover and re coat the gun, and do something with that god awful pistol grip . I also ordered a tromix charging handle cover.

Today with flash hider installed....

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Holy crap that wood is shiny! I like my AKs stocked with plastic and covered in low-gloss paint, but that's just me.

Check out the TAPCO SAW-style pistol grip. I agree that the standard Warsaw grip sucks - even my CA-legal Monsterman Grip (it's a grip, but not a pistol grip) gave me better control of the weapon than that pathetically scrawny thing.

TexasDawg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    LaPorte
    I'm not much for the shiny wood either, but to each his own. It looks like a good job of doing it, though, and I do like the color. I used a UTG ergo grip on my Saiga 308,,, got it off fleabay

Top Bottom