• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    I think handgun optics are a good option for any department. Recently 3 HPD officers shot a guy 27 times when he reached for his cellphone and not one miss!! No optics needed in that case!

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    The original post on The Firearms Blog pretty much has a copy of the policy. Right now the policy only allows factory red dot guns like the Glock MOS and Sig RX. However, there will be a change in the future allowing milled slides. The milled slides seem to prolong optic life and be a more secure mounting option.

8 hrs of training is good as it gets. True, you definitely need more than that to transition from irons to an RDS but it boils down to logistics. Our training range accomodates 15 students. They will likely run one or two classes per month for a while. Even if 500 officers want to make the switch it will take years to get them the 8hr class. Imagine how long it would take with a two or three day class.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Not advertising here, but the Red Dot Pistol School I teach for Suarez International is three days long. No one in the industry has been advocating or training red dots on handguns longer than SI. I've been working with them for 8 years. HPD's move is no big deal; I'd be willing to guess those who self select will already have a good working knowledge of RDS pistols.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Not advertising here, but the Red Dot Pistol School I teach for Suarez International is three days long. No one in the industry has been advocating or training red dots on handguns longer than SI. I've been working with them for 8 years. HPD's move is no big deal; I'd be willing to guess those who self select will already have a good working knowledge of RDS pistols.

Yours was the first I tried many years ago .
    Instantly hated it, but only because I didn't give it a chance.
    I have one on my Victory, and I love it.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    [QUOTE="Jon Payne, post: 1757456, member: 7291] I'd be willing to guess those who self select will already have a good working knowledge of RDS pistols.[/QUOTE]

This was a bigger deal outside of the dept than inside. I would venture that with 5k officers about 800 would make the switch to an RDS, and that's stretching it. It will be the ones that at a minimum are somewhat switched on in regards to their duty weapons and tactics.

Over the past few weeks most officers seem to like the idea of having the option to switch but instantly balk at the price of a new pistol and the price of an RDS, plus the cost of a new holster. On a personal note I've never minded and actually prefer paying for my own weapons and gear. Most departments that make the officer buy their own weapons usually have pretty liberal weapons policies.

Unfortunately, for many cops this is simply a non-issue. Their weapon is simply a tool to complete a task. It's like asking a construction worker to get excited about his hammer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom