Join TexasGunTalk

Hunting Shotgun / Need Ammo Advice

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by TX69, Sep 10, 2013.

1. TX69

TX69 TGT Addict

Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I'll start by saying that the last time I've been hunting was for pheasant in 2001, its been a while lol. My shotgun is a Beretta 3" 12ga semi factory gun.

What I am looking for is practice ammo and hunting ammo (steel for both). For practice this shotgun needs to be patterned and then I need to take it and practice. I have only the factory choke tubes which are Full/Modified/ImpCyl. I want to limit my ammo choice to WallyWorld as they are the most prolific store and will be near where I am hunting out of state.

Price doesn't matter since I obviously do not shoot this gun that much.

All replies are appreciated

2. robertc1024

robertc1024 Moderator Staff Member Moderator TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Maybe a stupid question, but, why are you having to shoot steel? Pheasant's are tough birds. Lead #6 gets them though.

3. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    No experience with anything but lead shot.

I'm interested in what our wetland bird hunters use though.

4. txbikerman

txbikerman TGT Addict

Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    Used to hunt ducks. switched to steel when lead was a nono. look at tungsten or the other alternatives to steel. steel doesnt fly right

5. TX69

TX69 TGT Addict

Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I just went back and checked. The area we are going to does not require steel. Heck, I thought lead was almost gone from the shelves. If lead is still good to go what should I get at Wally?

6. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Field loads.
    #6 shot.

I'd grab what I could at home first.
    Or check with your host.

Dove loads are about all I see around here.
    6 shot may be a sporting goods store item, not wally world.

7. txbikerman

txbikerman TGT Addict

Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    i agree

8. TexMex247

TexMex247 Well-Known TGT Supporter

May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    If we're talking lead shot, I'm a fan of no. 7-1/2 shot for dove, for pheasant or duck I have no clue. My experience with steel in the past is that is can't be fully choked or it will blast donuts around your intended target. It does not deform as needed when passing through a choke. I have also heard that you should go 2 sizes lower when trying to get steel to carry some distance. So, if you have had luck with no. 8 lead shot you should be using no.6 steel to get similar results.

9. Hondo

Hondo Active Member

Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    Well any dove load is good for practice on clay targets

I got to go pheasant hunting up in SD years ago. I figured field #6's would do the trick, boy was I wrong I had to shoot my first two birds twice to knock them down. I bought a box of Federal Wing Shock High Velocity #5's off another hunter and nailed the third rooster. The next day I got my three rooster limit in four shots.

The guide told me most locals use 2 3/4 in 4,5, or 6 but they all use high velocity (high brass) shells. He said 3" would be overkill.

10. TX69

TX69 TGT Addict

Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Can I go 3's and bring the shot down to a 6? Gotta remember that I haven't hunted in 12 years.