• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glick88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Has anyone ever actually used a mosin nagant for hunting? If so, what where and how?
    Guns International

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    I did, it was a m39, wasn't a great idea, to damn heavy and the sites are for longer shots than most hunting ranges.
    Ammo selection is very poor and most is inaccurate and unreliable.
    You should use a marlin 3030 with iron sites, most shots are under 200 yards and fast.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I won't question your opinion of using the mosin, but I'm not sure why you say he should use a 30-30.

While most 30-30s are descent rifles for hunting, for many there are others ranked much higher on the list.

Not trying to be argumentative, just curious.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'm a target shooter and haven't hunted in years. The MN 7.62x54R is an extremely powerful cartridge and fairly accurate out of the box. With tweaking, it can do well in 200 yard competition. As someone told me long ago..."You can only kill the deer dead." The 54R is plenty powerful to do that. Soft point hunting ammo is available and you can also load that yourself.

If you practice with the rifle and become proficient with it, I see no reason why you can't hunt with it.

Flash

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    I'm a target shooter and haven't hunted in years. The MN 7.62x54R is an extremely powerful cartridge and fairly accurate out of the box. With tweaking, it can do well in 200 yard competition. As someone told me long ago..."You can only kill the deer dead." The 54R is plenty powerful to do that. Soft point hunting ammo is available and you can also load that yourself.

If you practice with the rifle and become proficient with it, I see no reason why you can't hunt with it.

Flash

Pretty much this.

And in regards to ammo - that varies widely one rifle to another. What works great in my rifle may be the most inaccurate crap possible in yours.

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    I know of one brand of 762x54r soft point ammo that is worth a crap, it's privi partisan 150 grain soft point.
    The wolf brand ammo is very suspect in reliability and loadings. I have personally bad two locked up bolts on 2 different mosins using wolf ammo.
    and brown bear ammo have me 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards and not point of aim.
    With my marlin 3030 I can get 1 inch groups with Remington core lokt. With the hornady leverolution ammo, it's sub MOA and flys flat to 200 yards.
    If you are in a brush why would you use something that is much heavier, has a 24 inch barrel and suspect ammo and accuracy? Now if you are hunting from a stand, and have hand loads and good scope that's a different story. I have done both and can personally witness that brush hunting/ stalking needs a lighter more maneuverable weapon.

Top Bottom