• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scout789

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    lake jackson, tx
    If this has been covered before forgive me and a moderator can delete the thread.

If Texas lawmakers pass open carry (and I believe they are due to consider it again this session) would you open carry or continue to carry concealed? I have mixed feelings. On one hand, most of the time I wouldn't care to advertise that I am carrying. However, I could see open carry being more comfortable and offering more options, i. e. OWB vs. IWB etc. Also, when carrying concealed, no more worries about printing or being "made."

I'm interested in hearing others opinions and thoughts.
    Venture Surplus ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think there was a thread similar to this but I'm gonna answer anyways.

I would probably do both. Personally I would have to get used to carrying in plain sight but I think having people see just how many loaded and ready firearms they are around every day could go a long ways towards breaking the stigma some have that a gun is gonna jump out of a holster and shoot somebody.

Many only know what they see on ABC or CNN and think the average CHL holder looks something like Bill Murray from caddy shack. If we want peoe to see that guns are safe we have to start by letting them see guns and that that so called "gun nuts" are not really nuts.

TwinGlocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Houston
    I wouldn't open carry as a matter of personal preference but I would find an open carry law (open carry allowed) useful to CC holders don't have to worry about printing or accidentally showing their weapon.

Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Converse(San Antonio)
    In most cases I wouldn't want to open carry. In fact I probably wouldn't ever because I don't want to have been a pre-screened target of any sort if something were to go down. However I would be very excited to allow it for two reasons. One I feel like it would be a huge win fork gun rights. But secondly I would would very much like the freedom of not worrying if my shirt came un-tucked & exposed my weapon when I reached at the top shelf for Wheaties.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Open carry probably acts as a deterrent many more times than it makes one a target.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I used to think I would not open carry. Matter of fact, I was pretty adamant about it. But lately, I have decided I would. I doubt I would strap on a Desert Eagle, but I would like to carry my Colt Defender in plain sight.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lots of people sure are worried about accidental exposure.

I was at first, but I have gotten ou of the car several time and not realized my Hirt had gotten caught above the grip or for some other reason I'm showing and so far I haven't been arrested water boarded, tortured with scorpions, or faced any other horrible punishment so I try not to and if it happens I just pull my shirt back down.

I still wouldn't mind having the option to open carry from time to time. But I see it as an educational tool for the uninformed.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Situation dependent of course I would love to be able to open carry but would probably continue to carry concealed the majority of the time.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I do not want open carry because then I will have to spend another couple hundred dollars on holsters.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Seems like I'm starting to remember what happened to the last thread on this topic, LOL.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would still conceal carry. Personally, I support open carry from the standpoint that I feel it should be up to every individual's preference on how they choose to carry their gun. That is what I feel is most inline with the Constitution and it's intent. I prefer concealed carry as I think there are some definite advantages. The element of surprise being one. If you are properly concealed, you are not telegraphing your capabilities to anyone else, including criminals. That might be the extra edge it takes to gain the advantage in a fight, allowing you to screw with someone's OODA loop by acting as opposed to reacting to them. With open carry, potentially, the criminal may be Observing your gun, Orienting towards you, Deciding on what to do about it, then Acting on it which puts you behind the curve. I prefer being the "gray man" in the room, and not standing out. No one else needs to know what I'm capable of until they push things to the point where it is time for them to find out.

Oh, and for those in to open carry, especially those here on TGT that live in other states where OC is allowed, some words of advice. For the love of god please don't use POS Blackhawk Serpa holsters like we frequently see open carriers using. They are an absolute POS "retention" holster that offers little in the way of retention, poor quality design which doesn't lend itself to holding up under abuse, etc. If you OC and you feel the need to use a retention holster, one word:

SAFARILAND (SLS or ALS series) It is the only way to go. Blackhawk is trash in comparison. </Rant>

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I would still conceal carry. Personally, I support open carry from the standpoint that I feel it should be up to every individual's preference on how they choose to carry their gun. That is what I feel is most inline with the Constitution and it's intent. I prefer concealed carry as I think there are some definite advantages. The element of surprise being one. If you are properly concealed, you are not telegraphing your capabilities to anyone else, including criminals. That might be the extra edge it takes to gain the advantage in a fight, allowing you to screw with someone's OODA loop by acting as opposed to reacting to them. With open carry, potentially, the criminal may be Observing your gun, Orienting towards you, Deciding on what to do about it, then Acting on it which puts you behind the curve. I prefer being the "gray man" in the room, and not standing out. No one else needs to know what I'm capable of until they push things to the point where it is time for them to find out.

Or... The BG sees a guy open carrying in the gas station so he chooses a different location and/or time. It can be argued both ways.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Or... The BG sees a guy open carrying in the gas station so he chooses a different location and/or time. It can be argued both ways.

True, anything is possible, but then that is a matter of chance. I know for a fact that if I am discreet and don't telegraph my capabilities, that I will have a definite advantage without it being a roll of the dice.

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    I saw something in the mall just before Christmas that in MY mind, relates to this thread. I was sitting there enjoying the sights when a young man came strolling by dressed in his Karate gi. My first thought was 'oh, what a squirrel' but then began to ponder WHY would someone advertise a course of study in this respect? Was he trying to show the world he is a bad-arse as a warning to evil people to stay away or was it a play to PRETEND he knows what he is doing to impress people?

In MY eyes, anyone who gives up a tactical advantage by advertising, is either trying to be someone he is not......or is trying to shout to the world that they 'have it together' and can depended upon when the excrement hits the whirling blades. We all know the biggest guy in a bar is the one every little drunk wants to take on, as bragging rights, so I see a possibility that could happen here. Heck, it DID happen. As I watched ole Chuck Norris idle through the crowd, I caught myself sizing him up, spotting how he left himself open to attack from behind and pretty much determining I could thump his butt.:confused: ME doing that, a retired cop that is still ready to spring into action should some wolf attack the sheep. :confused:

So, unless you glide through the crowds like a tactical machine, using cover and concealment, constantly evaluating your route and the people around you, (which will make everyone think you are a goober).....it might be wise to look like the mild mannered reporter from the Daily Planet Newspaper...... but ABLE to stop a speeding locomotive, if needed.

The original poster asked for opinions, that is mine. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom